aberdeen-music

Cricket World Cup

davidm

Anybody else been watching this over the last few days?

South Africa vs. Holland was interesting, shows just what can be done in this tournament - if they got 353 from 40 overs, then imagine what they would have got from 50! Ireland did fantastically well against Pakistan too, hopefully we'll see more shock results over the next couple of weeks. Couldn't believe hearing that Bob Woolmer had died earlier today, he will be a big loss to many people; my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Freddie Flintoff was very busy practising his shots after the NZ defeat. Not the pull, or the sweep, but the 'sambuca'. Arf!

Yes, been wacthing avidly on the net/in the pub when not working. Highlights:

- The Ireland/Zimbabwe game. Just brilliant, and witness to the worst umpiring decisions I've seen in yonks.

- Dwayne Leverock. There is hope for me yet.

- Paul Nixon's banter behind the stumps.

Oh, and RIP Bob Woolmer. The top of his website says it all: 'Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is the present - a gift to make the most of.'

That's all. For now.

• 2 weeks later...

england gave it a good go but the two crucial fuck ups were losing those two early wickets and that middle order collapse but fair play to them they looked much better than they have done playing to so called 'lesser' teams. really gonna have to lift themselves against the aussies, but they know they can beat them and in Bopara they have found a real gem... not out (no pun intended!) yet but a hell of a lot of work to do on sunday!!!

england gave it a good go but the two crucial fuck ups were losing those two early wickets and that middle order collapse but fair play to them they looked much better than they have done playing to so called 'lesser' teams. really gonna have to lift themselves against the aussies, but they know they can beat them and in Bopara they have found a real gem... not out (no pun intended!) yet but a hell of a lot of work to do on sunday!!!

So predictions to win it?

England have no chance now I don't think.

The Aussies look pretty unstoppable although I do think both New Zealand and Sri Lanka have the potential to go all the way. Then again, I betted on India to win it at the start so it shows what I know!

That's Englands problem. The middle order always collapse and it's downhill from there on, one minute you'll see them 180-3 and next you know their 240 all out. Their bowling has been a bit poor really. As great a test player as Monty Panesar is, he is serving little purpose in the test squad. I'd choose another pace bowler (an experienced one at that) like Hoggard (is he injured?) would be much better.

So predictions to win it?

England have no chance now I don't think.

The Aussies look pretty unstoppable although I do think both New Zealand and Sri Lanka have the potential to go all the way. Then again, I betted on India to win it at the start so it shows what I know!

Based on what's happened this afternoon, I think SA have bucked up their ideas and will totally spit roast England when they clash.

I reckon Aussies will win though, they've not missed Brett Lee as much as I thought they would, Shaun Tait really has come on well. NZ will probably run them closest.

Agree with you on England's bowlers too, what the fuck is Mahmood doing in the side?

Based on what's happened this afternoon, I think SA have bucked up their ideas and will totally spit roast England when they clash.

I reckon Aussies will win though, they've not missed Brett Lee as much as I thought they would, Shaun Tait really has come on well. NZ will probably run them closest.

Agree with you on England's bowlers too, what the fuck is Mahmood doing in the side?

He says, as Mahmood gets 2-19 and England reduce Bangladesh to 77-6!

Australia/South Africa final is what I reckon will happen - it's very close to call between them, but the Aussies will nick it in the end. You'll have to beat them at some stage to win the World Cup and I can't see many teams, if any doing that.

Ireland skittled by the Aussies for 91!

I wonder how they'll fill an hour's worth of highlights tonight?

They came back with a good victory against Bangladesh though. Only to be humilated even worse by Sri Lanka.

South Africa looked very strong against England. Either that or England where just very, very bad.

bit of both really.

England have been absolutely awful in teh World Cup - but could you honestly say that it wasn't expected. They need to get a side and stick with it, constant changes do them no good - the top order needs to be sorted out quickly, preferably with Trescothick coming back soon. on the other hand, everything went right for South Africa. if they carry on that form, they could trouble Australia if they get to the final.

England got as far as you would have expected in the tournament, it's more the manner in which they've just bent over and taken it up the garry from the big hitters that's got the knives out. Nice to see Mahmood reverted back to type, went for 49 in less than 5 overs, haha!

I reckon Vaughan might get a stay of execution, there was too much emphasis on rushing him back as a saviour who would instantly fix things, don't think Fletcher will however.......

• 2 weeks later...

What a crap way to end the world cup. Australia won due to bad light, then celebrated waving the stumps about, then the umpires re-started the match. It was so dark that the TV cameras couldn't focus on the pitch. Anyone see the view from the stump camera at the end, how the hell could the Sri Lankans see the ball??!

The whole tournament's been a joke, really.

What a crap way to end the world cup. Australia won due to bad light, then celebrated waving the stumps about, then the umpires re-started the match. It was so dark that the TV cameras couldn't focus on the pitch. Anyone see the view from the stump camera at the end, how the hell could the Sri Lankans see the ball??!

The whole tournament's been a joke, really.

It was a shame. Especially because it seems that's what people will remember it for. However, there was no way Sri Lanka would have caught up anyway...Gilchrist single handedly won the match for Australia.