aberdeen-music

New Bass possibility...

unbroken

So quick story for ya.

Well..after reading this thread, it reminded me that Alex (MMW bassist) loves Rippers (the better looking sister of the Grabber) For some reason he has always wanted a 1978 one. I thought "I'll be nice and have a look for him." I figured my search would prove fruitless because they are extremely rare. You can get an epiphone one but hey...let's be serious here huh? The gibson ones stopped being made in '83. ANYWAY, i had a quic scan on Ebay and lo and behold, there was ONE!?!?!?! And it was a 1978 in the natural finish! I got in touch with Alex immediately who called the guy in Yorkshire. Apparently the guy is an older guy and is selling stuff off as he is going deaf. Alex got it for...wait for it....340!!! Its in super sweet nick. So that's now a Music man stingray, three Warwicks and a Gibson Ripper that he has in his arsenal.

Beast oh beast!!!

So quick story for ya.

Well..after reading this thread, it reminded me that Alex (MMW bassist) loves Rippers (the better looking sister of the Grabber) For some reason he has always wanted a 1978 one. I thought "I'll be nice and have a look for him." I figured my search would prove fruitless because they are extremely rare. You can get an epiphone one but hey...let's be serious here huh? The gibson ones stopped being made in '83. ANYWAY, i had a quic scan on Ebay and lo and behold, there was ONE!?!?!?! And it was a 1978 in the natural finish! I got in touch with Alex immediately who called the guy in Yorkshire. Apparently the guy is an older guy and is selling stuff off as he is going deaf. Alex got it for...wait for it....340!!! Its in super sweet nick. So that's now a Music man stingray, three Warwicks and a Gibson Ripper that he has in his arsenal.

Beast oh beast!!!

Isn't it just 2 Warwicks?

So quick story for ya.

Beast oh beast!!!

Heh! Good story...funny though, I never really cared for the Ripper before (I thought it was the ugly odd one out ;)) but as you mentioned epiphone above I just had to have a search in the slim hope that epiphone were somehow selling that as part of their current range...well I found it and what can I say...it looks absolutely fantastic! Dunno how it plays/sounds....but I'm really tempted by this....thanks for the heads up!!!

6021310575329l.jpg

Heh! Good story...funny though, I never really cared for the Ripper before (I thought it was the ugly odd one out ;)) but as you mentioned epiphone above I just had to have a search in the slim hope that epiphone were somehow selling that as part of their current range...well I found it and what can I say...it looks absolutely fantastic! Dunno how it plays/sounds....but I'm really tempted by this....thanks for the heads up!!!

6021310575329l.jpg

epiphone version doesnt even touch the gibson version apparently.

Different pick ups and, believe it or not, the pick ups are what MAKE the bass. Budget pick ups too. But its cool, I have the possibility of a G3 Grabber. So its all good, slideable pick up and everything! Sweet as fuck!

xxx

epiphone version doesnt even touch the gibson version apparently.

Different pick ups and, believe it or not, the pick ups are what MAKE the bass. Budget pick ups too. But its cool, I have the possibility of a G3 Grabber. So its all good, slideable pick up and everything! Sweet as fuck!

xxx

Minging headstock though!

• 3 weeks later...
I play a Musicman Stingray 5 HH. Bit of a monster.

well what you have is good, is all about how much you like either one and what fits your style the most when it gets to that stage - wish i had that much choice

for me im always trying to get the extreme cheap deal, i got my artcore for 250 and i got a sansamp to boost the hi's a wee bit, and put some flatwound strings on, but yeah i'd really like to have a 5 but i think next bass will be an epi jack cassady or vintage precision, i'll be sticking with my cheap bass for a while though before i start thinking about that haha

Tom

well what you have is good, is all about how much you like either one and what fits your style the most when it gets to that stage - wish i had that much choice

for me im always trying to get the extreme cheap deal, i got my artcore for 250 and i got a sansamp to boost the hi's a wee bit, and put some flatwound strings on, but yeah i'd really like to have a 5 but i think next bass will be an epi jack cassady or vintage precision, i'll be sticking with my cheap bass for a while though before i start thinking about that haha

Tom

well all my previous basses haven't been that great,

my first bass was a squier affinity p bass

my second was an epiphone thunderbird

my third was an Ibanez Millenium Series 5 string bass, but that got stolen, so I decided, fuck it, I'm gonna get something thats fucking amazing. Its what I have always wanted, and I'm happy with it. Gonna get an American Fender Jazz V as well though, as they record very well.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my sans amp, because I get more disappointed with it every time I use it, always just seems to scoop the mids. Was gonna change it for a sansamp RBI rackmount as it has a dedicated Mid Control. And I love the good old mids!

x