aberdeen-music

A tip should your computer not turn on anymore

framheim

computer probs arghhhhhh, got sent a faulty board and a amd dual core 4200 cpu.

decided to fry my 1 gig ddr, my new psu to boot. Now the ******* have said it was checked before shipping. Bolloks since i have built several pcs before :|

Not sure what i can do now, fuck :(

It may have been damaged during shipping.

yeah thanks for that good point, could always try and claim that then at a last resort use tradiing standards, 160 quid is alot to shell out on somethings that is fucked. Just aswell i got returns on my bust ddr memory and psu

At the end of the day your consumer rights are the same with computer parts as they are with everything else. So each part should be expected to do the job it was sold to do. If it's not fit for purpose or breaks within a short period of time then you're entitled to a refund.

yeah, should be able to get your money back or a replacement though for some reason computer parts sales people seem to think they are above this law!

I've had trouble myself trying to return kit that was "easy to install" and "compatible with older computers", the sales dudes said to me when i went back after failing to get the thing going "it is easy to install if your a computer technician and its only compatable when you have this type of software" then when I asked if he could give me an idea of what I would need to do he told me "im a sales guy not a consultant, I know how to install it but its not my job to tell you"! he was such a dick!

yeah, should be able to get your money back or a replacement though for some reason computer parts sales people seem to think they are above this law!

I've had trouble myself trying to return kit that was "easy to install" and "compatible with older computers", the sales dudes said to me when i went back after failing to get the thing going "it is easy to install if your a computer technician and its only compatable when you have this type of software" then when I asked if he could give me an idea of what I would need to do he told me "im a sales guy not a consultant, I know how to install it but its not my job to tell you"! he was such a dick!

I can understand completely why sales/technical staff have this attitude, when day after day droves of drooling 3 fingered aberdonian gimps stagger in to complain about problems with things they bought that they don't understand how to use.

Consumers have no bloody right to whine about stuff like this, it's not that the staff are arrogant or offensive, your problems stem from the fact that you are thick. Either educate yourself or accept that you must pay someone with a clue to fix your problem.

I can understand completely why sales/technical staff have this attitude, when day after day droves of drooling 3 fingered aberdonian gimps stagger in to complain about problems with things they bought that they don't understand how to use.

Consumers have no bloody right to whine about stuff like this, it's not that the staff are arrogant or offensive, your problems stem from the fact that you are thick. Either educate yourself or accept that you must pay someone with a clue to fix your problem.

Actually i have to agree with you here. From the point of view of a TV salesman i have to put up with some of the most ridiculous shit. It just so happens that i know a fair bit about what i do and can usually help out.

Like today for example: I'm standing at the counter and an older gentleman approaches me with a 'universal' remote control (i use the term universal with a pinch of salt) that he claimed to have got from us a month ago. Now i know for a fact that it was more like 6-7 months at least as we hadn't had that particular brand of remote for fucking ages, but i played along. He told me that he couldn't get teletext using it. I explained to him that there could've been a number of reasons why that was and proceeded to try and eliminate them one by one by asking him questions relating to use and gaging his responses. My main question was "did you get text using this remote at any point previous or has it not been working since you started using this remote". He didn't answer this question and then preceded to prattle on about people repairing his tv etc.

I also asked him the following:

1. "Have you changed the batteries recently"- a simple request, especially in this case when removing the batteries can sometimes result in the universal remotes returing to a default code. His response was to get shirty with me. You'd also be surprised as to how many people say they've checked the batteries in an item only for you to haul them out in front of then and find them flatter than Paris Hilton's chest.

2. "Was there any reason that you chose to go for a universal remote instead of a direct replacement for the original"- No response, which led to my next question.

3. "What make of TV is it"- you'd be surprised as to how many people can't answer that question. In this case it transpired that it was a Luxor (this information had to be dragged out of the guy as well as he wasn't very forth coming) which happens to be a company that ceased producing Cathode Ray TVs (though the name has been optioned for a run of LCD TVs recently-i suspect by Nokia or someone who bought the name from them) nearly 20 years ago and had been bought over by Nokia. This also answered my second question as it became apparent that there would've been no direct replacement available.

I then proceeded to explain the reasoning to all the above answers and offered him a solution which involved me setting the remote to a brand of TV that we actually sold, in this case Sony, and testing the teletext function on the remote on one of the sets in the shop. This would've eliminated a fault in the remote and would've likely pointed to a fault in his aerial (which was my original suspicion) or in the infra-red receiver on the front of his TV (curtains for his TV).

I explained to the gentleman that the only problem with that was that there are four codes available for Luxor TVs for that particular remote and that as i wouldn't be able to check it on his TV i might not get the right one as there was no way of checking. I also offered to show, or write down in simpler steps than the remote's manual, how to re-program the remote should that be the case.

By this time i'd spent nearly 20 minutes with him and his response almost pushed me over the edge. He picked up the remote, rolled it up in the manual, muttered under his breath that i was useless and fucked off without even a cursory "Thanks".

Unfortunately this, in some format, is an every day occurrence for me and my colleagues. For every one customer that is thankful for the advice and time i have to offer there are at least ten ungrateful sods who couldn't give a fuck that i'd just wasted a score of potential commission bearing sales trying to help them.

ala pc world!!

I found out a manager from pc world knew absolutely nothing about computers!

I remember having an interview there once and the dude who gave the interview said "oh and you dont have to know about computers to work here"!!!!!!!!

End of the day if you show attitude in this line of business it wont get you money.

Their has to be a level of understanding and patience in the retail industry. I know because i have worked with the public for over nine years. Sure their is good and bad, that is an aspect of life and people have to find a way to combat it without being confrontational which results in making the situation worse. You have no right to lable everyone in a negative and unconstructive manner.

i see your point, infact was it you working in the computer shop that day??!! :laughing:

Thing was that i'd installed the same equipment on other machines, spent a fair bit of time trying numerous installation methods, read up loads of stuff i'd googled on the subject and exhausted my knowledge of computer systems that i've learnt through college and work, but this dude in the shop was happier to stand and have a loud argument with me for 15minutes about how he had spent years in the telecoms industry and gained a degree on the subject, when he could have just said "you need to update your bois", which he did say in the end after i bet him couldnt do sort it himself!

i see your point, infact was it you working in the computer shop that day??!! :laughing:

Thing was that i'd installed the same equipment on other machines, spent a fair bit of time trying numerous installation methods, read up loads of stuff i'd googled on the subject and exhausted my knowledge of computer systems that i've learnt through college and work, but this dude in the shop was happier to stand and have a loud argument with me for 15minutes about how he had spent years in the telecoms industry and gained a degree on the subject, when he could have just said "you need to update your bois", which he did say in the end after i bet him couldnt do sort it himself!

which shop was it?