aberdeen-music

Nirvana

Shaki

That's not what i said. I made the point that they were already superstars off the back of Nevermind. Kurt dying helped elevate them to cult status, a level that i feel is excessive as they barely qualify for the superstar status they were afforded.

They changed the course of my life and many other people I know and are one of my favourite bands ever. They properly got me into music. They will always be superstars to me!

They changed the course of my life and many other people I know and are one of my favourite bands ever. They properly got me into music. They will always be superstars to me!

Yeah that's fair enough, i myself regard Nirvana, R.E.M, Tool and early Green Day as the reasons i started getting involved with music. But i only credit them with that as they opened the door for me to find out about other bands, who i realised where more suited to my tastes and it was watching videos of Kim Thayil, Adam Jones, Jerry Cantrell and Stone Gossard playing guitar that made me want to pick one up in the first place.

I do like Nirvana, but as i've said i feel they overshadowed some very good bands because of the sheer hype surrounding them. Every guitar band that came out of Seattle at the time was compared to Nirvana as a benchmark, rather unfairly i may add.

Guest idol_wild
That's not what i said. I made the point that they were already superstars off the back of Nevermind. Kurt dying helped elevate them to cult status, a level that i feel is excessive as they barely qualify for the superstar status they were afforded.

Apologies for picking you up wrong, comrade.

However, I do feel they deserved their superstar status simply because they tore the charts a much required new arsehole. They made heavy and lo-fi guitar music acceptable to the masses, and as a result, more accessible to younger people, who in turn were switched on to other music. That has proved to be a good thing.

And they have more good songs than most superstar guitar bands anyway. :up:

my favourite Nirvana track and indeed one of my all time faves is Tourettes.

*wWeeeeEEeeeeeEee...moderate rock....

glad someone agrees with me on that one!!! 'tourettes' has more anger and desperation in under 2 minutes than what most bands can do in an entire career!!!

my favourite album is 'in utero' in fact it would be in my top ten albums of all time. wish it'd been called its original title 'i hate myself and i want to die' mind :up: