aberdeen-music

Nirvana

Shaki

Probably not a new discussion but how fucking good are Nirvana!?

Best album?

I say Bleach, at the moment.

NIRVANA

I love them.

I've not listened to that one in donkeys.

My favourite studio album has always been In Utero but Unplugged in New York is my favourite.

Nirvana were vastly overrated. Bleach is a good album, In Utero is good from an artistic point of view and Nevermind is littered with cliched singles and rips from other artists. There are some good songs on Incesticide.

If Kurt Cobain hadn't of died there is no way that Nirvana would be as big as they are now. They might still have been critically acclaimed for Nevermind/In Utero but christ some of the newer material was shit.

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were much better bands in my opinion, but oft overlooked for the easy option of idol worship on the seattle scene.

Nirvana were vastly overrated. Bleach is a good album, In Utero is good from an artistic point of view and Nevermind is littered with cliched singles and rips from other artists. There are some good songs on Incesticide.

If Kurt Cobain hadn't of died there is no way that Nirvana would be as big as they are now. They might still have been critically acclaimed for Nevermind/In Utero but christ some of the newer material was shit.

Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were much better bands in my opinion, but oft overlooked for the easy option of idol worship on the seattle scene.

You really do talk a lot of bollocks sometimes.

Nah, you just don't agree with my opinion. I'm not saying they weren't a good band, i own all their cd's and like you i grew up with that sort of music. But i was predominantly interested in Soundgarden and Alice In Chains and felt that throughout their careers were a lot more consistent in producing well rounded albums. Nirvana were patchy to say the least and don't deserve to be as revered as they are.

They had maybe one more album in them (if Kurt hadn't died) before Grohl and Novoselic got fed up of Kurt's attitude and the band would've split. Kurt would probably have gone on to do a couple of americana influenced alt-country albums, which probably would've been good tbh. But Nirvana had reached the highest height of their career with Nevermind and in the eyes of the media nothing would ever have topped that. Their record label wasn't 100% behind them after In Utero and if they hadn't released another 'Nevermind' they would've suffered from less label funding etc.

Kurt's death amplified their career and gave them cult status and opened them up to a lot of people who wouldn't've bothered checking them out otherwise.

Like Beatles fans, Nirvana fans are some of the most blinkered music fans i've ever come across.

Guest bluesxman

Trying to compare the Seattle 'grunge' bands is pointless, to me they all had a pretty distinct identity, Nevermind just happened to be the most commercially viable release by any of those bands and wasn't exactly the standard the band themselves wanted to maintain.

Alice in Chains had a good debut album, a cracking follow up, some decent enough acoustic based material and then a slippery slope into boring sub-standard retreads, their MTV Unplugged album is also good but not to the standard of the Nirvana set.

Although Soundgarden's first 2 albums have some good stuff on them, they never kicked into gear for until Badmotorfinger and the next 2 albums became more commercial but also are very strong albums, it's a shame they split when they did they could have kept going for even better heights I think.

Probably the greatest talent to come out of that scene for me is Mark Lanegan, Screaming Trees last couple of albums especially were criminally ignored and his solo work has been of consistently high standard.

I wasn't really interested in any of the other Seattle/Grunge bands going about at the time but I was subjected to them all by friends and siblings. I'd go as far to say that I don't like Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, mainly because I don't like Cornell or Staley's voices (and I love Kurt's). I don't think either of AIC's or SG's music aged well. When I listen to it now, it sounds "of that time" and I don't think that's the same as Nirvana's stuff.

Anyway, I was just up for a bit of Nirvana appreciation :up:

As much as I liked Nirvana I have to agree with Alkaline that they were over-rated. If Kurt hadn't given hiomslef a bucksht shampoo I think their star would have fizzled out over time and the Foo Fighters would have been conceived eventually.

Album-wise it has to be In Utero - Steve Albini's overkill production is awesome.

Bleach, I like. But not to the same extent as In Utero. Nevermind's stand out track, for me, is Endless Nameless.

Mudhoney - now there was a Sub-Pop band.

What about Tad?

Mudhoney - now there was a Sub-Pop band.

What about Tad?

Mudhoney were ace, as were Tad, Green River, Screaming Trees, L7, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Melvins, Brad, Temple Of The Dog, Mad Season, Mother Love Bone etc

There were plenty of great bands kicking about in Seattle and its environs then and there still are. Nirvana were never the be all and end all of the Seattle scene that they were garnished with.

Nobody has mentioned Pearl Jam at all either. Much better than Nirvana (in my opinion)

Yeah i love Pearl Jam, Ten probably first my number 2 slot in my top 5 albums. I really want to go see them one day but im not going to Wembley, seeing them in a stadium will just ruin it for me.

they're playing Wembley Arena, not Wembley Stadium.

You would have enjoyed the one-off Astoria gig last year. Unfortunately arena shows are the norm now for this size of band.

Guest idol_wild
What is everyones favourite Nirvana song? Personally, I'd go for Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

That's a fine choice, comrade. I really like 'Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle'. Fantastically structured song, with supreme production, especially the drums (typical Albini sound) and the tone on the distorted guitar.

As for what Alkaline said; I agree to an extent - Nirvana were quite inconsistent. Every album has a few skippable tracks, but very few albums in my opinion don't. I don't, however, think Kurt dying propelled them into superstars as such; they were probably the biggest band on the planet at that point anyway.

they're playing Wembley Arena, not Wembley Stadium.

You would have enjoyed the one-off Astoria gig last year. Unfortunately arena shows are the norm now for this size of band.

Yah but thats still a good 8000/10,000 folk there. Yeah i was pretty gutted about that one, if they do that sort of show again ill do my best to be there.

As for nirvana songs; Aneurysm.

What is everyones favourite Nirvana song? Personally, I'd go for Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

I'll have to be awkward and do this by studio album:

Bleach - Floyd The Barber

Nevermind - Endless, Nameless (The hidden track) Album proper: Lithium

In Utero - Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle

(This was a very hard decision as my other favourites include Milk It,

Scentless Apprentice and *tears starting to flow* All Apologies)

I don't, however, think Kurt dying propelled them into superstars as such; they were probably the biggest band on the planet at that point anyway.

That's not what i said. I made the point that they were already superstars off the back of Nevermind. Kurt dying helped elevate them to cult status, a level that i feel is excessive as they barely qualify for the superstar status they were afforded.

Guest nature_1

what do you think of the final "single", You Know You're Right?

There was some pretty good stuff on the box set they released, but my favourite song by them has to be Sliver.