aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Afro Droid

My Top 5 Lunatic Dictators (contemporary)

1) Hugo Chavez (Venezula)

2) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (Iran)

3) Robert Mugabe (Zimbabwe)

4) Kim Jong Il (North Korea)

5) George W Bush (USA)

My criteria:

- Displays of amusing insanity during public statements

- Misuse of national money

- How much they upset Americans

- General eccentricty

Surely the now deceased "Turkmenbashi" Saparmurat Niyazov is worth a mention? He didn't upset the Americans, but plenty of crazy dictators haven't done that either. A credible mention must go to Walter Ulbricht of East Germany for his efforts in sealing off East Germany and the creation of the Stasi.

Finally, Alexander Lukashenko deserves a mention for being Europe's last dictator - especially as he's argued with absolutely everyone over the last 10 years or so.

European dictators (apart from Hitler and Stalin) are somewhat unappreciated for the ability to do ridiculous things, though.

5) George W Bush (USA)

My criteria:

- Displays of amusing insanity during public statements

- Misuse of national money

- How much they upset Americans

- General eccentricty

apart from the fact that 3 out of 5 of your picks aren't technically dicatators i think that's pretty much the 5 top choices for me as well.

Surely the now deceased "Turkmenbashi" Saparmurat Niyazov is worth a mention? He didn't upset the Americans, but plenty of crazy dictators haven't done that either. A credible mention must go to Walter Ulbricht of East Germany for his efforts in sealing off East Germany and the creation of the Stasi.

Finally, Alexander Lukashenko deserves a mention for being Europe's last dictator - especially as he's argued with absolutely everyone over the last 10 years or so.

European dictators (apart from Hitler and Stalin) are somewhat unappreciated for the ability to do ridiculous things, though.

www.wikipedia.org/european_dictators ???

OMG LOL

Dunno what you mean by Contemporary, but here's list..

George Bush - By the time he finishes he will be!

Robbie Mugabe - The Whole Mass-Murder thing..

Saddam Hussein - Silly. But got through a few folk.

Idi Amin - Only learned last week how much of a weirdo he wiz!

Tony Blair - Eww!

Dodgers. The lot o them.

I wish there were more charismatic leaders like Castro, Chavez & Ahmadinejad kicking around, it would make politics more interesting if Europe had someone similar. Anybody wanting to see what Castro's really like should check out the Oliver Stone films Comandant and Looking For Fidel, brilliant insights into Castro and the Cuba-US relationship.

I wish there were more charismatic leaders like Castro, Chavez & Ahmadinejad kicking around, it would make politics more interesting if Europe had someone similar.

I don't think the EU would be too happy about that.

I don't know much about him so can't comment

I actually like this guy. Why should he not have the right to have nuclear power? His comment about Israel is being used out of context, he's not going to send in planes to blow up Israel, he just doesn't see why they are allowed Nuclear weapons when he isn't allowed Nuclear power. Just because he doesn't believe in an Israel state, he is crucified for it. (btw Im not pro- palistinian or Israel)

Cunt. Tony Blair says that what is happening in Zimbabwe is tragic but he does nothing about it. Of course, its not a country on the "war of terror list" pfft.

The man who slipped through the net. The US now approach with caution and so they should. Kim Jong is very evil. Throwing sanctions at him makes no difference because he doesnt give a fuck about his people.

5) George W Bush (USA)

Round applause. He fucked up Iraq.

I don't know much about him so can't comment

He is amazing, and really sticks it to the yanks. He usurped the CIA man that put in power by a USA-sponsored coup (loadsa oil in Venezula y'see); through popular revolution. I came within a hair-bredth of meeting him too when I worked at RGU (he was supposed to be getting an honourary degree, loadsa oil in Venezula y'see). I had a photo of him on my desk for ages, of him giving a speech with a parrot pearched on his shoulder. The parrot was resplendant in full military uniform, including berret and medals. Awesome.

He is amazing, and really sticks it to the yanks. He usurped the CIA man that put in power by a USA-sponsored coup (loadsa oil in Venezula y'see); through popular revolution. I came within a hair-bredth of meeting him too when I worked at RGU (he was supposed to be getting an honourary degree, loadsa oil in Venezula y'see). I had a photo of him on my desk for ages, of him giving a speech with a parrot pearched on his shoulder. The parrot was resplendant in full military uniform, including berret and medals. Awesome.

he's not without his faults though as well, but he is tremendously colourful and great at winding up the usa. gotta admire him for that. i wish i had a parrot in full military uniform :(

he's not without his faults though as well

Oh for sure, he's a dyed in-the-wool crazy man. It was Venezuela's poor human rights record that eventually stopped him getting the honorary degree.

Guest Neutral

I cant agree with chavez or the iranian being on the list

or George for that matter

I would say in the last 50 years

Idi Amin Dada

Saloth Sar(pol pot)

Leopoldo Galtieri

Hugo Chavez is the elected president of Venezuela. I assume dictator and lunatic were used as a disredguard for his policies. He has approxomately 2/3 of the support of his people. The working classes and poor of Venuzeula broadly support him, which contain a higher perceptage of South American Natives. The middle classes who dislike him mainly consist of Spanish settlers.

Hugo Chávez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also see

Venezuelan presidential election, 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe Uzbekistan has a particularly nasty regime in power. British government has been broadly supportive of them. Read the book former British Ambassador, Craig Murray to find out more.