aberdeen-music

Seattle Music Scene - Early 90s

Sam 45

Anybody read any books/articles or seen any good documentaries about this? Want to find out about influences, venues and bands from round about the time. Obviously i know about Soundgarden, Nirvana, The Melvins ect but want to learn a bit more about it.

Cheers

Try get a hold of the film 1991: The Year Punk Rock Broke which is very good. 1991: The Year Punk Broke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It mostly focusses on Nirvana and Sonic Youth, who were never strictly speaking "grunge", but it is ace all the same.

This book offers some insight into the period, but not totally on the Seattle grunge scene: Our Band Could Be Your Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This documentary would also be worth checking out: Hype! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try get a hold of the film 1991: The Year Punk Rock Broke which is very good. 1991: The Year Punk Broke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It mostly focusses on Nirvana and Sonic Youth, who were never strictly speaking "grunge", but it is ace all the same.

This book offers some insight into the period, but not totally on the Seattle grunge scene: Our Band Could Be Your Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This documentary would also be worth checking out: Hype! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No one has mentioned the Sub Pop records who were based in Seattle.

Also Mudhoney as well.

i wouldnt mind going to seattle this year

You should - it's amazing. What Aberdeen should be like if it had any get up and go about it.

Climate is comparable to here, but don't let that put you off!! Probably my favourite US city and I've been to NY, LA, San Francisco and San Diego. Great music scene, cool bars, heaps to do, not far from spectacular countryside.

And I agree with what the others said about viewing Singles, The Year Punk Broke and Hype.

Ahhhh I'll go and stick on the singles soundtrack now...

You've already overlooked Soundgarden and Alice In Chains! Probably best looking up something along the lines of 'Generation X' too, I'm pretty sure that mindset the whole reason those bands exists.

If you are referring to the Coupland novel, it was published in 1991 (I think), at least a few years after those bands started, so wouldn't really be of much immediate use, good novel though.

You should check out the likes of Mother Love Bone, Alice in Chains, Green River and most defintely Screaming Trees with the god that is Mark Lanegan.

If you can check out the Alice in Chains music video's/dvd's - Music Bank has an early AIC documentary on it.

i'm getting all nostalgic over this thread...... i've got stuff by all the bands mentioned so far!

add Tad to the above list!

Guest idol_wild

I was quite heavily into the scene, though I veered towards a lot of the Kill Rockstars bands - particularly Bikini Kill and Unwound (possibly the most tragically overlooked lo-fi/punk-rock/math-rock bands that has ever existed).

They were better than Fugazi, Nirvana AND Sonic Youth.

True story.

After 'Our Band Could Be Your Life'; 'Route 666: The Road to Nirvana' by Gina Arnold is worth a read, it charts the rise American punk thru to grunge, from Black Flag, Husker Du, Fugazi, The Replacements ect thru to the Seattle lot and beyond.

Also check out the first Mad Season record, they were a super-group type thing with Layne Staley singing Mike Mcreedy from Pearl Jam playing guitar and the drummer and bass player from The Screaming Trees. It's a fucking great record.

Is it just me, or is Thurston Moore absolutely hilarious in 'The Year Punk Broke'?