aberdeen-music

Scotland 2007 (fitba) Thread

Shaki

What the hell are Caldwell and Dailly doing in the squad when neither have been playing for their teams in recent months? And what the hell is McNamara doing there? Surely his time has past. At least Pressley is suspended for the Georgia game.

If Anderson doesn't start the whole thing's a sham.

Seems McManus will start. McLeish said "We deliberated over one or two positions.

The difference in international football is that you watch a player three weeks ago and he impresses. A fortnight later they don't do as well."

I reckon he'll be talking about Anderson's display at Ibrox?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think you are right. ando had a nightmare at ibrox. muscled off the ball far too easily by boyd. but hey for me that was an off game. id hate to say it but mcmanus deserves his shot. played t top level this year with celtic again some class acts in the champs league. handled it very well too

think you are right. ando had a nightmare at ibrox. muscled off the ball far too easily by boyd. but hey for me that was an off game. id hate to say it but mcmanus deserves his shot. played t top level this year with celtic again some class acts in the champs league. handled it very well too

Getting roasted by Kaka gives him the experience required to play at the top level!

Guest DustyDeviada

Dissapointed for Anderson, but as long as the team keeps winning, he can't complain.

A point would be great on Wednesday, but a dilemma for McLeish - does he stick with 4 4 2 against Italy, or play with one up front, and if so, does that mean dropping Boyd?

The defence were absolutely pish in the first half. Complete joke. Weir better not start on Wednesday after that. Ferguson did his disappearing act again as well.

The 2nd half was a bit better. Typically just after I turned to my mate and said "Craig Beattie's shit!" he went and scored. Ah well. Personally I'd have taken Miller off and left Boyd on, aside from one decent lay off Miller was useless for most of the game.

And how on earth did Gary Teale manage not to score in the 1st half?

Why did Miller get a game? Everytime I've seen him play for Ceptic lately he is either booting the ball over or wide of the goal from 3 yards or simply doesn't connect. Always in the right place at the right time but useless.

And Darren Mackie used to get a hard time for his first touch... o_O

Donadoni is shitting a brick...

channel4.com - Football Italia

I think we did well for our capabilities against Georgia. Delighted with a late winner. When was the last time that happened?

I would always start Miller upfront just for his running, even if it is a bit heedless chicken at times. Thought Burke might have got a look in but Teale did OK (apart from his sitter miss) and Brown did well when he came on. Hartley was a bit annonymous. Our defence is a bit cumbersome which is a worry for Wednesday.

If only we had a pacy centre back in the squad.

We do. Plays for Aberdeen. Some Anderson guy. Seems to be invisible to Scotland bosses.

Sad thing is it'll be Pressley and Weir on Wednesday.... PACE AHOY.

And Ferguson better play a hell of a lot better than on Saturday. Although all the glasgow press gave him man of the match. Dunno which game they were watching!

We do. Plays for Aberdeen. Some Anderson guy. Seems to be invisible to Scotland bosses.

Sad thing is it'll be Pressley and Weir on Wednesday.... PACE AHOY.

And Ferguson better play a hell of a lot better than on Saturday. Although all the glasgow press gave him man of the match. Dunno which game they were watching!

Pity Anderson played like a cripple against Rangers. He was caught flat-footed on numerous occasions. That dismal performance ultimately cost him what would've arguably been his best chance at getting a shot in the Scotland defence. Though in hindsight seeing him bottle it against Rangers would've been a damn sight less costly than seeing him bottle it against Georgia or Italy.

I really think it should be Pressley and McManus on Wednesday, they play together all week at club level for god's sake so their communication will be tons better. Plus McManus has a decent turn of pace too.

Brown's getting a game against Italy it seems, could be good though i'd be likely (if i was playing a 4-5-1) to go with the following:

Gordon

Caldwell Pressley McManus Naysmith

Ferguson

Hartley McCulloch

Miller Maloney

Boyd

Leaves a lot more options for getting forward with using players that are tried and tested in their positions without over exposing at the back. Miller likes to get wide and always used to at Wolves/Rangers as does Maloney which would drag defenders out wide leaving big hitters like Hartley, McCulloch and Severin (who i'd consider putting on in the second half) a bit more space to test the keeper from range leaving Boyd to mop up any rebounds.

Pity Anderson played like a cripple against Rangers. He was caught flat-footed on numerous occasions. That dismal performance ultimately cost him what would've arguably been his best chance at getting a shot in the Scotland defence. Though in hindsight seeing him bottle it against Rangers would've been a damn sight less costly than seeing him bottle it against Georgia or Italy.

One bad game all season! And McManus got sent off in his game against Falkirk! Still, it's not going ot happen for Anderson till he moves to another club sadly.

And I can't see Caldwell playing against Italy. He hasn't played any football for months.

Lineup will more than likely be (5,4,1 as you say).

Gordon

Alexander (RB)

Naysmith (LB)

Weir (CB)

Pressley (CB)

McManus (CB)

Ferguson (M)

Hartley (M)

Brown (or Burke) (M)

McCulloch (or Teale) (M)

Miller (F)

One bad game all season! And McManus got sent off in his game against Falkirk! Still, it's not going ot happen for Anderson till he moves to another club sadly.

And I can't see Caldwell playing against Italy. He hasn't played any football for months.

I hope they don't go with three centre backs :S I think Ferguson in a holding role would be more suitable with a flat four.

As far as the Caldwell thing goes i'd agree, he won't play but i think he should if he's fit. Plus the Italians won't be expecting it. I really don't rate Alexander, he's so slow he'll be torn apart by their wingers.

I hope they don't go with three centre backs :S I think Ferguson in a holding role would be more suitable with a flat four.

As far as the Caldwell thing goes i'd agree, he won't play but i think he should if he's fit. Plus the Italians won't be expecting it. I really don't rate Alexander, he's so slow he'll be torn apart by their wingers.

We shall see on Wednesday! Ferguson and Hartley both need to paly a hell of a lot better if we have any hope. They lost grip on the game the entire first half on Saturday.

I agree about Alexander. He's got zero pace but he's been reliable enough I guess. We really need to start bring some younger defenders through though! I can see our back four in a couple of years being caldwell, anderson, mcmanus and naysmith.

We shall see on Wednesday! Ferguson and Hartley both need to paly a hell of a lot better if we have any hope. They lost grip on the game the entire first half on Saturday.

I agree about Alexander. He's got zero pace but he's been reliable enough I guess. We really need to start bring some younger defenders through though! I can see our back four in a couple of years being caldwell, anderson, mcmanus and naysmith.

Yeah i agree, Ferguson looked tired and Hartley looked like he couldn't be bothered.

I say keep an eye on Gary Kenneth. Mock away by all means but if Levein can curb Kenneth's 'bigger than the team' attitude he'll be a solid defender and i can see some larger clubs outside the Scottish Prem banging on his door. Time will tell i guess.

Mark Wilson (Celtic) also looks promising as do Steven Smith (Rangers) and Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff).

The defence were absolutely pish in the first half. Complete joke. Weir better not start on Wednesday after that. Ferguson did his disappearing act again as well.

The 2nd half was a bit better. Typically just after I turned to my mate and said "Craig Beattie's shit!" he went and scored. Ah well. Personally I'd have taken Miller off and left Boyd on, aside from one decent lay off Miller was useless for most of the game.

And how on earth did Gary Teale manage not to score in the 1st half?

That pretty much sums up what everyone I have talked to has said. Especially the bit about beattie! Though the boy has to be given some credit for the skill he showed in pulling off the perfect shin roller. Boyd's head looked to have gone down after he swiped at that ball a yard out though so i would probably have taken him off aswell.

I'm not really convinced about Teale, he's a good player but hes pretty eratic, I've seen him have a few great games for Wigan and Derby are riding high just now, but he always looks like hes going to overrun the ball.

I was really impressed with Scott Brown. My Dandy heart was dead set against him because of his antics at Pittodrie earlier on this season (to be fair most of the hibs players were as bad) but he looks a quality player, rumour has it he is starting on Wednesday aswell.

If Anderson's form goes down after missing out on these games, and we dont get into Europe, I'm going to strangle Big Eck with my scarf.

Gordon

Alexander (RB)

Naysmith (LB)

Weir (CB)

Pressley (CB)

McManus (CB)

Ferguson (M)

Hartley (M)

Brown (or Burke) (M)

McCulloch (or Teale) (M)

Miller (F)

I think that'll be about right but maybe McManus to drop out for Dailly (or Seve) to play infront of the 2 centre backs? I think McCulloch and Brown will start.

Anderson will get his chance but probably not in this campaign. It's a real shame but I think his performance against Rangers was the only thing that kept him out. As someone said McManus didn't exactly shine in his last game though...

I'd like to see Anderson playing as he really deserves it but I don't think it makes or breaks our qualification hopes.

Its got to the point now i really don't care who should be in and out of the team, as so many people are trying to have their say...

I'll support the line of 11 players with the lion rampant on their hearts, belting out the national anthem.

So, Priory for Italy game anybody?