aberdeen-music

Scotland 2007 (fitba) Thread

Shaki

Here's the squad for the games against Georgia and Italy.

Goalkeepers: C Gordon (Hearts), A McGregor (Rangers), N Alexander (Cardiff), I Turner (Everton)

Defenders: G Alexander (Preston), R Anderson (Aberdeen), G Caldwell (Celtic), C Dailly (West Ham), S McManus (Celtic), J McNamara (Wolves), G Murty (Reading), G Naysmith (Everton), S Pressley (Celtic), D Weir (Rangers)

Midfielders: S Brown (Hibernian), C Burke (Rangers), B Ferguson (Rangers), P Hartley (Celtic), L McCulloch (Wigan), N Quashie (West Ham), S Severin (Aberdeen), G Teale (Derby)

Forwards: C Beattie (Celtic), K Boyd (Rangers), S Maloney (Aston Villa), K Miller (Celtic).

Pretty solid and no glaring omissions (that spring to mind anyway). Shame Fletcher is injured as I see him as an important player for us. Dailly will be chuffed at getting a game!

I would question the logic of having 4 keepers and only 4 strikers?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell are Caldwell and Dailly doing in the squad when neither have been playing for their teams in recent months? And what the hell is McNamara doing there? Surely his time has past. At least Pressley is suspended for the Georgia game.

If Anderson doesn't start the whole thing's a sham.

The midfield and attack look alright. I don't imagine a situation where we're going to need more than 2 strikers at any one time against Georgia or Italy.

What the hell are Caldwell and Dailly doing in the squad when neither have been playing for their teams in recent months? And what the hell is McNamara doing there? Surely his time has past. At least Pressley is suspended for the Georgia game.

If Anderson doesn't start the whole thing's a sham.

The midfield and attack look alright. I don't imagine a situation where we're going to need more than 2 strikers at any one time against Georgia or Italy.

Hopefully we'll need 4 strikers over the 2 games more than we need 4 goalies!

Dusty is right in that nobody springs to mind for another striker role. O'Connor probably the best shout although maybe taking a young guy like Naismith in for some squad experience would be beneficial although I suppose that goes for MacGregor and Turner too. Is Maloney playing well for Villa?

Pressley is suspended for the 1st game so Anderson will hopefully get a shout? Seems to be the consensus in the media that he deserves a chance too, not just red-tinted glasses. Dailly will still be getting selected for the national team when he's retired from club football!

I couldn't get a ticket for the Georgia game, hopefully I'll get one for the Fudge Awards instead!

Being the 16th ranked team in the world should ensure our passage to the finals :up:

To answer my own question on Maloney, here's what McLeish said:

"Maloney has played the last two games for (for Aston Villa) so he's consistently in the team"

2 games = consistently!

and on Beattie:

"Beattie has had a good month, or certainly last month."

Oh dear, Big Eck seems a bit confused!?

Right i'm going to comment on this OLD FIRM BIAS arguement which is doing the rounds on here, and many other boards.

If there is a bias, where are the following players?

Kevin Thomson

Ian Murray

Paul Telfer

Gavin Rae

Mark Wilson

The players that have been included DESERVE to be there (on the whole).

Allan McGregor - name another scottish keeper who is performing as consistently as him... and isn't in the squad... Langfield?? Mark Brown is on the bench at Celtic. Smith at Motherwell is pish. Marshall is injured.

McManus - with Alexander and Grant Munro from ICT (sic), is probably the most consistent defender in the SPL, plus played in Europe a shitload.

Weir and Pressley- both have been in every squad for a while BEFORE they were at OLD FIRM clubs

Burke and Ferguson - both have been playing out of their skins lately!!

Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller - top SPL scorer for yonks, and Miller has saved scotland many a time.

Beattie - a surprise inclusion yes, but there aren't many strikers that could have been picked ahead of him

Here is a list of possible strikers

Naismith - hasn't been near a full squad, too much pressure??

S.Thompson - perhaps. but a journeyman none the less.

L.Miller- dinna make me laugh!!

G. O'Conner - injured and took 4months to say sorry to a nation.

Dickov?? - hasna played in months.

I rest my case.

tickets arrived for the Georgia game last week. Right on the half way line, 24 rows up (row X)

Are those the nosebleed seats on the South Stand? Was up there for the CIS final last year: cracking view, but I'm buggered if I'm paying extra for them. East Stand (towards the back) for me this time......

Right i'm going to comment on this OLD FIRM BIAS arguement which is doing the rounds on here, and many other boards.

Kevin Thomson

Ian Murray

Paul Telfer

Gavin Rae

Mark Wilson

Allan McGregor - name another scottish keeper who is performing as consistently as him... and isn't in the squad... Langfield?? Mark Brown is on the bench at Celtic. Smith at Motherwell is pish. Marshall is injured.

McManus - with Alexander and Grant Munro from ICT (sic), is probably the most consistent defender in the SPL, plus played in Europe a shitload.

Weir and Pressley- both have been in every squad for a while BEFORE they were at OLD FIRM clubs

Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller - top SPL scorer for yonks, and Miller has saved scotland many a time.

Beattie - a surprise inclusion yes, but there aren't many strikers that could have been picked ahead of him

I rest my case.

Pressure won't be a problem for Naismith. I'm sure by the time he's "eligible" for Scotland selection (i.e. when he's in this 30's and on the slide) he'll be perfect!

Auld Davie Weir showed his "class" last night :laughing:

At least O'Connor apologised (eventually). I think we'd be crazy not to include a player of his ability & pedigree. I'm sure if Duncan "Mr Pick'n'choose-my-games" Ferguson decided to make a comeback, McLeish would be moist with anticipation.

The rest of the players you mentioned? - not bothered, journeymen the lot of them.

Two-tier system - the OF and the rest. Always has been, always will be.

Guest DustyDeviada

I assume you meant to type Anderson, not Alexander?

Agree with most of this, but say what you want about Langfield, but he has been the most consistent Scottish keeper (including Gordon - the stats don't lie). this season so surely he deserves a squad place.

Kevin Thomson

Ian Murray

Paul Telfer

Gavin Rae

Mark Wilson

I rest my case.

Agree with most of this, but say what you want about Langfield, but he has been the most consistent Scottish keeper (including Gordon - the stats don't lie). this season so surely he deserves a squad place.

Yer having a laaff! Langfield is a fucking bombscare who accidentally has a good game now and then, I'd sooner put Keiron Renton between the sticks......

Kevin Thomson

Ian Murray

Paul Telfer

Gavin Rae

Mark Wilson

I rest my case.

Agree with all of that actually (ICT nonsense aside), well done sir.

Anderson is one of the best players in the SPL without a shadow and deserves a place in the team.

For more Shaki related football nonsense see the Fans Forum in this Saturday's Evening Express.

Yer having a laaff! Langfield is a fucking bombscare who accidentally has a good game now and then, I'd sooner put Keiron Renton between the sticks......

Like I said, say what you want about him. Yes, he's made a couple of costly errors, but he's made up for them with some class saves which have kept us at the right end of the table. Yes, he's conceded more than Gordon by about 4 or 5 maybe but he's also played 4 or 5 games more.

2 more sleeps!! Or you could say 1 and a half sleeps...

Getting the train down after work tomorrow. Probably end up doing the Pandora's pre-pub pissup, which means joining the queue at 10am :down:

Still have the dedication to make it back up for the fudge awards though :love: