aberdeen-music

Anyone involved in the metal scene here in the 90's?

davidm

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT'S Chris Reeves?!?! On close inspection, you're right. I know him as he is my sister's beau. He was in Fester, and I have tape of their stuff...unfortunately.

Fucksake i think Chris has changed the least! Andy is noticeably different. Except the hair i would have said Chris still looked the same.

What sorta recording is it? Live, rehearsal? We only recorded 1 song properly, well as properly as having no drummer would allow.

Yeah Embittered were ace. I still like that demo. Been a while since i played it, but it has been dug out a few times since i bought it 15 years ago. Sounds like your opinion of me may have went up a little? haha

It's true you're not an entirely lost cause. ;)

Regarding the said demo, two tracks would also appear on the This Is The A.R.N. benefit comp. tape with which I was also involved, raising 60 for AFA (Anti Fascist Action). Taking our pick from a vast array of outstanding talent from across the world, Disrupt, Jesus Chrust, Agathocles, Nailbomb, Anarcrust, Oi Polloi, and more, punched out a buncha killer tunes. Track it down if ya can.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Don't suppose you still have those kicking about in a pile of tapes do ya? Wouldn't mind hearing some of those tunes again.

Sorry Bazz, the tapes are long worn out and chucked by now but someone out there must have some Fester stuff.............

Guest Jake Wifebeater
And regarding Obelisk, did anyone here catch 'em at The East Neuk with Middlesbrough punks Embittered in 1992? Or Inextremis with Oi Polloi in Mar. and Active Minds and Disaffect in Aug. that same year?

I managed to miss all 3 of those gigs, was gutted I missed the chance to catch Embittered. Their split LP w/Dystopia is worth hunting down. Am I right in thinking one of the gig flyers was an Earache spoof? Seem to remember seeing one at the Castlegate.

I kind of remember going to a hotel suite in Inverness to see Inextremis and Fester.

Phill Rae playing a single kick pedal like a double one.

Getting very stoned on the coach back, falling asleep to uf orb and then being woken up by June Chisolm and someone with very big ears.

We then got dropped of in town and had to walk back to culter.

I think someone found a dead cat on the way. Rigamortis had set in so they stood it up against someones front door.

Although this could all be complete nonsense.

I kind of remember going to a hotel suite in Inverness to see Inextremis and Fester.

I was at that gig too.

It was a sunday night if i remember rightly.

Two of my mates got jumped the day before so couldn't go ( Marky Duncan and Calum ) so only two of us went through.

Inextremis were excellant that night :up:

Does anyone have there White Room demo on cd as i have it on tape but would really like a cd copy.

I managed to miss all 3 of those gigs, was gutted I missed the chance to catch Embittered. Their split LP w/Dystopia is worth hunting down. Am I right in thinking one of the gig flyers was an Earache spoof? Seem to remember seeing one at the Castlegate.

Ah no. You're thinking of another show collective callin' themselves Bumache. As far as I can recall they arranged just one show - with Sedition and Jimmy Saville's Wheelchair. At least in Aberdeen.

Regarding Embittered, have heard only their demo I'm afraid, but thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, Craig and I wrote to frontman Anthony Palmer for a time, Craig involved in arranging these shows too.

What sorta recording is it? Live, rehearsal? We only recorded 1 song properly, well as properly as having no drummer would allow.

I think it's a home recording, done on an analog 4-track, perhaps? The writing on the tape is done in tippex. I'm in no position to judge its merits, but to my ears it sounds extreme.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone remind me who Rock Child were? Were they John Chisholm's band? I think Jo McCafferty may have been involved at some point, if memory serves.

Yep Jo was involved with Rock Child, I'm not sure what she did but I dont think she sang. She was also involved in a heavy band called Charlotte Says:

www.myspace.com/charlottesaysband

who were a bit heavier than she does now...

Cheers

Stuart

Yep Jo was involved with Rock Child, I'm not sure what she did but I dont think she sang. She was also involved in a heavy band called Charlotte Says:

www.myspace.com/charlottesaysband

who were a bit heavier than she does now...

Cheers

Stuart

She did sing, she also played guitar. I forget the name of the lassie who sang for them at the same time but Jo was dropped for her. Then she left like a month later haha. I'd imagine June tried to worm her way back with Jo. Rock Child was just another of those bands the Chisholms created for their "Genius" Son to flex his creative muscle in. I'm not a fan of "quote marks" but that was the word used, and it always made me laugh.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think Zana Grant was the girl they got to replace Jo, I seem to recall her brother played guitar or something but his name escapes me at the moment.

The Inextremis singer was Simon, he always appears out of the woodwork when Napalm Death are in town :)

Original Inextremis/Fester gig ticket - wonder if its worth any money :laughing:

Various pics of Fester playing at The Pinegrove Hotel, Elgin :)

I was there as well, Donny....

Is Simon a bloke called "Black Metal Simon"? think i met him with Hendic at Naplam Death at their first gig at Kef. Scary bloke.

Zana Grant

I was sure i'd recognise the name when i saw it but that's ringing NO bells with me. She was a petite blonde.... that's about all i remember other than she lived in a caravan and went out with Phil Rae for a while. I'm sure Chris will remember. I'm thinking it's a different lass though, Rock Child had different lineups almost everytime they played. I have seen the guy who played bass for them around them time i was at Gemini Star, fucked if i remember his name now. He is still doing the band thing though, i'm assuming that's what he was doing at Captain Toms of course. heh

Guest DustyDeviada

OK, not the person I'm thinking of. Zana had red hair and I'm fairly sure she didn't live in a caravan, in fact I think she may have been another neighbour of Jo and the Chisholms, or lived round about Maryculter somewhere. Jo would definitely know.

Phil always attracted the classy ladies!

Hmmm well she did live out the road right enough. I could have confused a strawberry blonde with light ginger i guess. I just remember her having issues with her folks so i'm sure she had alternative lodgings at the time. Could still be the sam lassie. Jo would certainly be able to confirm this... be interesting if she remembers ME actually. Been proper years now.

Guest RockMonkey
Hmmm well she did live out the road right enough. I could have confused a strawberry blonde with light ginger i guess. I just remember her having issues with her folks so i'm sure she had alternative lodgings at the time. Could still be the sam lassie. Jo would certainly be able to confirm this... be interesting if she remembers ME actually. Been proper years now.

Course I remember you! I didn't drink tequila then...how's things?

the girl in questions name is Lucy Smith, she was petite and blonde and indeed went out with Phil Rae for a bit. She didn't live in a caravan though, she lived out banchory way. I lived in a caravan though! EDIT: just read back about the caravan - she maybe did, but i didn't know her then.

I wasn't dropped for her, I was in the band with here - I was dropped however because June didn't like the fact I was getting acclaim for writing some of the songs (lord knows why, they were pretty bad).

After she kicked me out of the band she:

called the police on me because I apparently stole a guitar (rolled up in a sleeping bag no less!).

called the police claiming someone had been murdered on my farm (it was my sister playing with the dog).

I think/hope she got a warning for wasting police time.

seeyas

jo

Guest RockMonkey
I was sure i'd recognise the name when i saw it but that's ringing NO bells with me. She was a petite blonde.... that's about all i remember other than she lived in a caravan and went out with Phil Rae for a while. I'm sure Chris will remember. I'm thinking it's a different lass though, Rock Child had different lineups almost everytime they played. I have seen the guy who played bass for them around them time i was at Gemini Star, fucked if i remember his name now. He is still doing the band thing though, i'm assuming that's what he was doing at Captain Toms of course. heh

I think the bassist in question may be Cliff Graham? Good bloke and bassist!

I think the bassist in question may be Cliff Graham? Good bloke and bassist!

Cliffard!! He is cousins with the Brew's who i am very much involved with musically. It's a just a fucking village haha. and yes Lucy was the name i was scrabbling for i remember there being a caravan involved somewhere along the line maybe it was just where Phil's courting took place... haha oh dear.

I'm grand though Jo, the story is all coming back to me now. How's life treating ye? Music is still going well i've seen yer name splattered about periodically.

Guest RockMonkey
Cliffard!! He is cousins with the Brew's who i am very much involved with musically. It's a just a fucking village haha. and yes Lucy was the name i was scrabbling for i remember there being a caravan involved somewhere along the line maybe it was just where Phil's courting took place... haha oh dear.

I'm grand though Jo, the story is all coming back to me now. How's life treating ye? Music is still going well i've seen yer name splattered about periodically.

Phil's courting style....lord I remember that. Never me though. (sighs of relief!). Life is good, renovating a house at the moment. Better than bricklaying anyway. Music going ok, got a band down here now and recording again.

One of the later Rock Child lineup is looking to get in touch with June (we both have videos we'd like back/destroyed) any clues as to their whereabouts these days?

jo

Guest DustyDeviada
One of the later Rock Child lineup is looking to get in touch with June (we both have videos we'd like back/destroyed)

o_O

They will end up on the internet!