aberdeen-music

Electronics Experts?

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

I need a small component soldered onto a printed circuit board, can anybody recommend a good electronics expert in Aberdeen that won't charge me a minimum of 50 just to look at the thing?

Guest DustyDeviada

Yep, basically I dropped my iPod and knackered the screen, thought I would have a go at replacing the screen myself, which went fine until the very last stage which involved plugging the battery ribbon cable back into a wee connector, when doing this I somehow ripped the wee connecteor off the printed circuit board. As I say, very wee, so a fairly intricate job.

I know the connection you're talking about as I've looked into doing this for someone before. (It may even have been yourself under a different name.)

It's a pretty tricky job and to be honest I don't think I could do the job justice with just a soldering iron. These connectors are factory soldered in a solder bath. You'd end up burning the PCB plastic or using too big a blob if you tried to add more solder. (If you do try it yourself, don't be tempted to use a solder-sucker to remove the old solder. Smaller jobs require solder wick.)

Guest DustyDeviada

Nope, wasn't me, I only broke it on Monday. :up:

Looks like I'm going to have to post it off to an iPod expert to see if they can do anything, I'm loathe to fork out for a new one.