aberdeen-music

Firefly / Serenity

Afro Droid

I've just discovered this series recently. I'd seen the movie, which I liked (unexpectedly, not really a big Joss Whedon fan); but the series is FUCKING AMAZING. Hopefully it'll go the way of Family Guy and Futurama and get re-commisioned based on DVD sales. So I appeal to you, buy the Firefly DVDs, and then we can all get a second series. Everyone's a winner!

If you're unfamiliar, this is from IMDB:

"Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, mobile, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them. Captain Malcom 'Mal' Reynolds is a former galactic war veteran who is the captain of the transport ship "Serenity", Mal his crew, ensign Zoe Warren; Zoe's husband, pilot Hoban 'Wash' Washburne; muscular former combat soldier Jayne Cobb; young engineer Kaylee Frye; former Alliance medical officer Simon Tamm, his teenage sister River (Both on-the-run from the Interplanetary government "The Alliance"); beautiful geisha Inara Serra and religious man Shepard Book do legal or illegal jobs (smuggling, protecting, guns-for-hire, robberies) as the Serenity crew travels across the outskirts of Outer Space for food, money, anything to make a living on, as The Serenity crew tries to stay under the radar of The Alliance and pulls dangerous jobs in the Alliance controlled star systems."

i know i'm just showing off profusely, but i got serenity on HD DVD not knowing what it was about or knowing what to expect. the first time i watched i didnt have a clue what was going on because i was paying so much attention to the Hi-Def. 2nd time around, i watched properly and really enjoyed it.

haven't seen firefly yet though.

edit : i love how they swear in japanese!

It's Chinese (sorry, I've already become an uber-geek over it, comics have been bought), figuring that the last two great super-powers on Earth'll be the USA and China.

Firefly kinda reminds me of all those shows that were on on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when I was kid, like Bonaza crossed with Battlestar Galactica. The theme tune is awesome.

It's Chinese.

Fucking brilliant show. You really should watch the series before you watch Serenity (for those who haven't seen it yet) although it will make you even more upset at the end.

That's what I did. Don't think I'd have actually thought much of Serenity if I'd seen them the other way round. Firefly is truly amazing. Never thought I'd actually like it but fuck me, I can't get enough of it.

I'v just aquired both series and film so will be getting stuck into them shortly. For anyone that is interested in getting the film, Asda has a 2 for 10 offer on selected dvds and cds. Serenity is in a double pack with Doom meaning that you can get another film as well for a tenner! There is some pretty good stuff in the offer such as brotherhood of the wolf, and howl's moving castle.

I was blown away when I first saw Firefly a few months back, watched the whole box set in one sitting. Must rank up there one of the craziest decisions in American TV history binning it. I have seen the two versions of Serenity, the standard length one and the special edition one with extended fight and action scenes etc. River makes a very cool off her trolley kick butt psycho! :popcorn:

Got to say though that Jane is my favourite character, cool that a TV show can have such a morally dubious character in it!

• 3 weeks later...