aberdeen-music

Home Insurance

psydoll

Seems to be a bit of a pain in the ass of a topic this if you're sharing a flat with non-partners or family and aren't a student.

Any recommendations of home insurance that allows the above details to be true?

If you are sharing a flat with non-family member's then simply get home contents insurance for yourself. Most insurers should be able to offer you this. It's the responsibility of your mate(s) to get their own contents insurance arranged. If you are renting then you don't need to worry about buildings insurance as your landlord legally has to have that arranged and paid for in order to actually be a landlord.

I get my contents insurance from Direct Line but they probably aren't the cheapest or best (I was too lazy to shop around). I pay 150 a year and that gives me 15,000 cover for my contents. Prices can vary widely though depending on where you live, what state your flat is in etc.

What Neil said. Arrange your own when sharing.

The vast majority of Insurance companies do contents cover only. Find out what excess you'd have to pay if you were to make a claim and also what you're covered for when personal belongings are outside of the the insured premisies. Specs, sunglasses, cash, laptop, MP3 player, etc.

I found Direct Line to be rather pricey for what I was after, plus the fact they wanted the payment in a lump-sum. Prudential were pretty good but Swinton has given me a cracking deal this time round and payable in monthly instalments.