aberdeen-music

Is anyone a careers advisor??

RossP

Having one of those "what am i going to do after the summer?" weekends, where there's a million ideas going through my head. Here's the rough plan though, and i was looking to see if anyone had any advice...

I'm planning to go into Supply Teaching after the summer, so i can get spare time to do a course at uni/college/open learning. I'd like to do a 'hands on'/trade kind of course, and if there is any chance of doing a trade that would help me advance into the oil industry, that would be very advantagous

So is there anyone who works in the oil industry, or knows someone who works there, who would have advice...? I'm just in the position, that i'd like to learn something new which can help my future job prospects.

Currently i have the following Qualifications

A Degree in Business Administration, from RGU

A PGDE in Secondary School Teaching, for Business Studies

... along with 1 year Probation teaching

A SVQ Level 2 in Retail

4 Highers, including English.

I've also been a Retail Supervisor for a couple of years, about 2years ago.

You want to leave teaching to go into the oil industry?

It will KILL YOUR SOULLLLL...

At the minute i really like teaching, but want to use this year to look at other options i have available, whilst perhaps learning a new skill/trade.

Even if i had 2 or 3 years working in another job, i can walk back into teaching... especially with the amount of Business Studies teachers retiring in the next few years!

Having one of those "what am i going to do after the summer?" weekends, where there's a million ideas going through my head. Here's the rough plan though, and i was looking to see if anyone had any advice...

I'm planning to go into Supply Teaching after the summer, so i can get spare time to do a course at uni/college/open learning. I'd like to do a 'hands on'/trade kind of course, and if there is any chance of doing a trade that would help me advance into the oil industry, that would be very advantagous

So is there anyone who works in the oil industry, or knows someone who works there, who would have advice...? I'm just in the position, that i'd like to learn something new which can help my future job prospects.

Currently i have the following Qualifications

A Degree in Business Administration, from RGU

A PGDE in Secondary School Teaching, for Business Studies

... along with 1 year Probation teaching

A SVQ Level 2 in Retail

4 Highers, including English.

I've also been a Retail Supervisor for a couple of years, about 2years ago.

You could do a post-grad in one of the engineering disciplines. Engineers are in short supply in O&G at the moment.

especially with the amount of Business Studies teachers retiring in the next few years!

You wouldn't think so with the current attitude of Aberdeen University. I have been trying to get into that course for *months* now and every time I think about it my blood boils. Apparently they only have 5 places this year. 5 new Business Studies teachers for the whole of Scotland from pretty much the Central Belt up.

I work for an oil company – though I work in the IT Department.

At the moment it can be rather nice for your wallet to go into engineering. I know of some 21 year olds (yes, the age is correct) that are semi-hotshots and are getting a rather tidy 30k pay packet.

Industry is screaming for –

Chemical/Process engineers

Mechanical Engineers

And Senior Designers

Ross,

Even if you don’t fancy any of these roles the training at the bigger companies is pretty good and the graduate schemes are nifty – plus the experience looks great on the ol’ CV.

I could try and pass your CV onto resourcing at my work for a Graduate position? We do get hundreds though – I work for Petrofac and they’re in full swing of doing career drives at the universities just now to fill positions for the September lot of graduates.

I wouldn’t say that it’s temp to them though, make out that you want to work in oil until the day you die and utter the word, “team” at least 15 times in an interview.

oil is solid career, my little sis works for petrofac.

i wish id done oil or some engineering pish . sociology is cool but the moneys not as hot.

I.T isn't too shabby cash wise once you get yourself some training under your belt. I've already increased my earnings a fair amount from when I started. I'm also lined up for a few training courses this year. Petrofac are pretty good for training. The Woodgroup apprentice scheme is also really good. I'm only mentioning them as I worked for Woodgroup for almost 2 years and I work at Petrofac now so have witnessed what goes on at each company. I've heard some good things about BP and Shell too.

Oil does provide a solid career and most of the skills are fairly transferable if you don't fancy it after a while. A lot of business (being managed from the UK) is beginning to crop up in South America, Dubai, India and also Russia. I very much doubt that the work will run out anytime soon.

Regarding BP, I worked in their office for nearly 3 years while on a long-term contract with Schlumberger, and take it from me.....you spend so long dealing with the mind-boggling amount of bureaucracy that you never get chance to actually do your job.

And dont get me started on the fucking HSE shite we had to put up with.....:swearing:

It really is amazing how many people piss and moan about HSE in the oil industry. You'd think the effort of wearing a hard hat and a pair of safety specs was akin to getting 'cunt' etched onto your forehead.

I'll admit it's a bit OTT at times, but get the fuck over it.

Fine if you're on a rig, but the office stuff can be right over the top. I've heard stories of certain companies than ban people from using stairs if they're carrying anything. Even a folder. They have a little man with a trolley who will take it up in the lift for you and meet you upstairs. And make sure you walk on the left. And use the handrail. And don't have a coffee unless it has a lid. Or you could be subject to disciplinary procedures.

I hate oil companies.

It really is amazing how many people piss and moan about HSE in the oil industry. You'd think the effort of wearing a hard hat and a pair of safety specs was akin to getting 'cunt' etched onto your forehead.

I'll admit it's a bit OTT at times, but get the fuck over it.

Over the Christmas holidays I was spending full days doing the following, because of HSE:

-Remove plastic tag from top right hand corner of field report

-Re-staple plastic tag onto top left hand corner of field report

Because of people not following 'the rules.' Pretty nuts.

Fine if you're on a rig, but the office stuff can be right over the top. I've heard stories of certain companies than ban people from using stairs if they're carrying anything. Even a folder. They have a little man with a trolley who will take it up in the lift for you and meet you upstairs. And make sure you walk on the left. And use the handrail. And don't have a coffee unless it has a lid. Or you could be subject to disciplinary procedures.

I hate oil companies.

Yes! I don't think I've ever felt so ridiculous in my life. That lifting man thing is true, too! I've seen him picking up things now and again. Bet he has arms like the Hulk.

And if you walk up or down stairs at BP's offices without having one hand on the hand-rail at all times...well...heaven help you!

There is plenty of money to be made in the Oil & Gas industry (even in I.T.) but it's a fairly soulless existence. You did the right thing Chris...

If you want an alternative to oil (leastways the North Sea variety), here is something in London:

Agency: Manpower

Salary: 10.00 - 15.00 per hour, inc benefits, OTE

Job Type: Temporary

Date: 06 Mar

Applications: 3

Ref: 11513993

We are looking for a fluffer for an adult movie set.

You will be attractive with a good body.

There may be oppurtunities to make the feature presentation and you will appear in the credits.

Excellent gateway to Entertainment Industry.

Please attach picture to CV.

reed.co.uk Job details

:D

I assume thatd be after you gain experience. Usual term is around 2 years. Straight business graduates can usually expect 16-18k starting wage depending on field can be a bit more - without relevant hands on experience (within the larger companies at least). The higher salaries are only really going to the engineering graduates and they start at around 26-28k then shoot up at an alarming rate with experience.[/QUO

holy shit!!!

I assume thatd be after you gain experience. Usual term is around 2 years. Straight business graduates can usually expect 16-18k starting wage depending on field can be a bit more - without relevant hands on experience (within the larger companies at least). The higher salaries are only really going to the engineering graduates and they start at around 26-28k then shoot up at an alarming rate with experience.

That's not what they're telling recruits these days. Graduate schemes are offering 1 year placement and straight onto 35k. That's just BP though, because they have so many new projects on the go or in the pipelines just now that need managers.

Petroleum geologists on the other hand are on 100k after a summer internship. Also with BP.

That's not what they're telling recruits these days. Graduate schemes are offering 1 year placement and straight onto 35k. That's just BP though, because they have so many new projects on the go or in the pipelines just now that need managers.

Petroleum geologists on the other hand are on 100k after a summer internship. Also with BP.

that can't be right......senior staff geologists with 10-20 years experience dont even get 100k...let alone fresh hires straight out of uni.

Guest b-bert

Oil is definatly the way for money in engineering. Graduates just now have been getting 32-34k in some placea, i know of guys getting nearer the 40k mark. But personally when i graduate next july i cant be bothered i would rather find a more interesting field. (in my opinion of course)

that can't be right......senior staff geologists with 10-20 years experience dont even get 100k...let alone fresh hires straight out of uni.

Oops I got mixed up on the geologist front. That's 100k in dollars. The 35k managers thing still applies though.

Oil companies are going nuts for Petroleum Geologists just now. I think it was Chevron just offered massive bonuses to get their PGs to agree to stay on another 5 years or something. It's insane!