Apple Computers

Sam 45

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest b-bert

Macs are better which is why someone would recommend one.

But then again they may not have your software of choice available for it. Is upgrading RAM in your machine not an option as it would be far cheaper.

Don't waste time with mac's, they are overpriced computers for women and trendy fashion victims. Their reputation for being somehow superior for creative applications is also total bullshit.

For the same money you can get a more powerful PC that will run more, easier to obtain software, which takes cheaper spares and addons and has a mouse with more than one button.

The only reason which even slightly justifies getting a mac, is if you want to use the latest versions of Logic, which you would probably only be interested in if you've been a logic head for years anyway.

unixwindowsmac.png

And don't listen to him. He doesn't use the same logical underpinning as most...

Personally I can't abide pc's and I have to use both but I suggest that you find out which suits you best.

*opens ignore list and adds, again*

*sigh*.

I've been using computers from the differing perspectives of programmer, graphic designer and musician for something like 15/16 years, I know what I'm talking about thanks.

Q - What's the worst part about owning a Mac?

A - Telling your parents you're gay.

*sigh*.

I've been using computers from the differing perspectives of programmer, graphic designer and musician for something like 15/16 years, I know what I'm talking about thanks.

Q - What's the worst part about owning a Mac?

A - Telling your parents you're gay.

Oh okay then... That's me told your Highness o_O

I couldn't give a rats-ass how long you've been using computers you argument/advice is still that of an eejit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

*not adding to ignore list just yet*

It's simply a matter of preference. The difference that I have come across is that pc owners get quite angry about Mac's when talking about them. Mac owner "okay, whatever, make mines a pint".

I have been Mac from day one and have tried pc.s and just don't like them. My Mac's happily do everything that is asked of them and some. Oh, and they look sexy...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ignore Stripey, he doesn't like anything that's popular.

You have to ask yourself what you'd use the computer for. PCs are better for some things, Mac's for others. Although really what you are asking is should I use Mac OS X or Windows XP/Vista as that is now really the only difference between the two - the hardware is near identical.

From the age of 8 I've regularly used PCs but have recently bought a MacBook as I needed a laptop. I've never regretted that decision and it does everything I've ever wanted and lots more. I've been so impressed that I will seriously consider replacing my main desktop PC with an iMac when the time comes. I only ever use my Windows PC for playing games now (the Mac still has few games available for it).

Ask yourself what software you think you will use on a day-to-day basis. Can you get this software for the Mac as well? If not, is there a good alternative? Investigate what you need to be able to do and then make a decision.

I don't make music on computers but I'll tell you one thing. I've gone to a lot of gigs where musicians have laptops on stage and the vast majority of these laptops are Mac's of some description. Why is that? Because they are fashionable? Or because they get the job done? I think it may be the latter...

Basically i need my computer for; the internet, holding all my music and for recording music ect. For the music bit, if a mac runs Nuendo then that would be great, i would probably also want to run Protools and some form of program that i can use to program drums.

Basically i need my computer for; the internet, holding all my music and for recording music ect. For the music bit, if a mac runs Nuendo then that would be great, i would probably also want to run Protools and some form of program that i can use to program drums.

It would appear that v3 of Nuendo is only compatible with the older PowerPC based Mac's, but Nuendo v4 is coming out later this year and will support all Mac's. You can also get ProTools for the Mac:

Digidesign | | News | Pro Tools and Most Digidesign Development Partners Plug-ins Now Compatible with Intel-based Macs

I don't make music on computers but I'll tell you one thing. I've gone to a lot of gigs where musicians have laptops on stage and the vast majority of these laptops are Mac's of some description. Why is that? Because they are fashionable? Or because they get the job done? I think it may be the latter...

It's because they are fashionable, it's just the myth that they are "computers for creatives" that has been perpetuated for years despite being totally untrue.

From a musicians point of view, given that most people are on a tight budget, buying a PC instead of a mac means you get more bang for your buck and have more money to spend on a decent audio interface.

FYI my two music production machines are a 1.7ghz centrino laptop with a gig of ram, and an athlon xp 2200 desktop with half a gig of ram. Both these machines are not exactly cutting edge spec or expensive, but I never have any resource issues with my music software.

Choosing the right hardware for the job is not simply a matter of preference.

And yes, there is a mac version of nuendo.

It's because they are fashionable, it's just the myth that they are "computers for creatives" that has been perpetuated for years despite being totally untrue.

From a musicians point of view, given that most people are on a tight budget, buying a PC instead of a mac means you get more bang for your buck and have more money to spend on a decent audio interface.

I would have thought that for most musicians cost would be a very important factor, so why are most of them apparently buying the more expensive Mac? And I would have also thought, in a live music setting especially, that the ability and reliability of the hardware and software in question would be paramount and certainly more important than appearing to be "fashionable". But hey, what do I know.

I would have thought that for most musicians cost would be a very important factor, so why are most of them apparently buying the more expensive Mac? And I would have also thought, in a live music setting especially, that the ability and reliability of the hardware and software in question would be paramount and certainly more important than appearing to be "fashionable". But hey, what do I know.

Well I've never had any reliability problems with either of my production machines. Very few of the producers and dj's i know use macs, and those few that do are usually using them reluctantly because they are Logic users and the latest versions have dropped PC support.

Like I said, there is a myth perpetuated that macs are the best computers for creative applications, which hasn't been true for years, but unfortunately gullible people still believe this and end up wasting wads of cash on them.

Macs v PC's

Last year I got fed up of all the hassle i got with my PC and decided to get a Mac but before I did i asked around my friends and all those who had a Mac thought it to be far superior to a PC so I opted for a Mac and absolutely love it. I wouldn't like to go back to a PC although my hubby and son both use PC's. So much less hassle with a Mac though, they just don't seem to get viruses at all.

Last year I got fed up of all the hassle i got with my PC and decided to get a Mac but before I did i asked around my friends and all those who had a Mac thought it to be far superior to a PC so I opted for a Mac and absolutely love it. I wouldn't like to go back to a PC although my hubby and son both use PC's. So much less hassle with a Mac though, they just don't seem to get viruses at all.

That's your primary mac demographic here ;)

Any ideas of good drum software for the mac? I don't fancy using Reason.

Depends what sort of drum sound you want to acheive, although I would go for something like Recycle, and a multisampler such as NI Battery, or Linplug RMIV as a minimum, assuming you're going to. be using Nuendo. You would want a few good sample cd's of drum machine single hits and so on, and possibly some collections of breakbeats.