aberdeen-music

Velcro for pedalboard

Humey Whilem

Who can tell me where I can get (ideally self adhesive) velcro so I can make my own pedalboard?

I had the same probs here as i use a pedal train now and again and regulary change the effects over. I tried normal velcro but found it never held very well.

I found a few places on the net that sold industrial strength stuff which was the biz.

Was about 20 quid for a large roll though. Not sure if there is places in aberdeen that stock it but i would recommend it more than velcro you get from shops like john lewis

I had the same probs here as i use a pedal train now and again and regulary change the effects over. I tried normal velcro but found it never held very well.

I found a few places on the net that sold industrial strength stuff which was the biz.

Was about 20 quid for a large roll though. Not sure if there is places in aberdeen that stock it but i would recommend it more than velcro you get from shops like john lewis

I'll have to look into this, I plan on building a pedal board soon.:up:

anne summers?
Exactly where I got the velcro for mine. They have the normal stuff and the stronger kind and will cut it to whatever length you need.

I think I'll try John Lewis first. After that I'll go in to ann summers regardless and ask for velcro. (Why would they be selling velcro? And why do you know this?)

I did this a few years a go. The following is a list of things to concider. Personally, I wouldn't use velcro to hold down my pedals again.

One is your pedals wont sit as flat as you would like them to.

Some have really annoying feet which you may wish to remove so they sit on the pedalboard with the velcro.

Seeing as most musicians have chaotic lifestyles, when you remove the feet from your pedals, the chances are you wont be able to find them 2 years later when you remove your volume pedal from your pedalboard and wish to use it elsewhere (in a situation where the feet would be useful).

Also isn't strong enough for all pedals and the sticky tape/glue stuff is likely to fail at some point in the future. The chances are, during one of your velcro attempts, you will find that the sticky tape will have not stuck down as well as you hoped for, your velcro attaches itself together stronger than your sticky tape holds the velcro down, this will result in 2 bits of velcro stuck to your pedalboard and not your pedals.

If I was to return to my days of many pedals. I would buy a flightcase with low sides and accurately cut out areas in protective foam for your pedals to fit. Attach your foam with super glue or better. Providing you remember to open your pedalboard the correctt way up, you are ok. If you wish to attach them down for a long term arrangment, use metal.

Cable ties are also your friend, buy a large quantity of them from B&Q

p.s I got my velcro from B&Q

I have industrial strength velcro on my pedals and I've not had one problem with it at all.

If you sort of jiggle it around when pushing it down, it will hold amazingly well. If you read around all of the Harmony Central forums, you'll notice that pretty much everyone on there uses velcro... for a very good reason.

Guest Gasss

If anything, velcro seems to work too well, making it hard to take them off!. I've started using a combination of heavy duty loop velcro on the board and normal hook velcro on the pedals.

I take any feet off the bottom of the pedals and they tend to sit fine. I also find that I have to take the rubber bottoms off boss-style pedals as stuff doesn't stick to them.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all, thanks. Actually had gone for foam instead, I'll post some pictures of the full set up soon. Pretty pleased if I say so...

Please do - I'm thinking about making one myself as my pedal collection has some odd shapes and sizes and my Radial Tonebone pedals are 15v.

I think I'll play Tetris for a few weeks before I start - it might help me when I'm trying to arrange the pedals with all the different sided in/outs and power inputs!!