aberdeen-music

Dolphin Slaughter

Shaki

Not that this changed much that has been said here but here's information on EU and UK legislation on the slaughter of farmed animals

Defra, UK - Animal Health and Welfare - Animal Welfare - At Slaughter

"It is an absolute offence to cause or permit an animal avoidable excitement, pain or suffering."

The main point I was making was that as long as the above legislation and particularly the line above are adhered to then I do not think it is hypocritical to eat cows yet find the avoidable excitement, pain and suffering of wild dolphins unacceptable. As long as animals are slaughtered in as humane a way as possible I will continue to eat farm reared meat and hope that the Japanese government take more control of the dolphin slaughter in Taiji. That's my opinion anyway. Teabags will still call me a thick hypocrite I'm sure.

There's some strange laws in their such as being able to hang chickens by the feet for 2 minutes and turkeys for 3 minutes before slaughter (or something like that). I didn't read the whole thing.....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're not a hypocrite if you don't sign it, no. why would you be? you'd simply be a heartless bastard.

And there are legislations in jewish religion about the method which animals have to be slaughtered, which the slaughterhouse in that video of the cows was supplying for. so legislations can get to fuck.

look at the machinery they're using, its all designed for an EXACT purpose, which CAN'T in any way lead to "humane treatment". Its not a case of a few workers spitting on the cows or kicking them in the bollocks is it?

The fact is, nobody will ever be sure what it was treated like unless they see it all done right in front of them.

Simple.

EDIT: Forgot, I haven't signed the petition. And I don't intend on it. Why? Cos I doubt it will do fuck all. And if it does, I'd be pretty fucking miffed.

"It is an absolute offence to cause or permit an animal avoidable excitement, pain or suffering."
Also just noticed this part. How can you "avoid" excitmenet, pain or suffering when killing ANY animal? If you're trying to kill god knows how many cows in one day, they'd want to be pretty efficient with it, and I doubt they're going to give it a general anaethetic, cos then how the fuck would they move them on to the next stage of slaughter? Its easier to prod them cos then they move themselves, and cows are heavy bloody things. Lifting them into the slaughter table would require employing a couple of extra men, which means paying more wages blah blah blah blah

In that video of the cows, all the stages of that slaughter seemed.....well, pretty necessary and unavoidable for a slaughterhouse, apart form the bit at the end where they were kicking blood into the cows face.

And how else they going to kill tons of dolphins? They're not going to kill them in the water, cos then they go limp in water, which is hard to manouevre them in, and they would have to get in amongst the other dolphins who would be real angry and attack them, and then get the dead, heavy dolphins out. It's all a huge pain and would be alot easier to pull them out while they're alive and slit their throats while their on land, where they can't swim away or get their mates to gang up on you.

Humane killing is a paradox surely?

I mean, does anybody in this thread that cares so much about making sure they're emat is treated right refuse to eat it meat unless its organic even?

Fuck it. I'm screaming down a wall.

Thats a sentiment i echo, no killing is 'humane' but i advocate killing out of necessity as far as animals are concerned for food.

I mean, does anybody in this thread that cares so much about making sure they're meat is treated right refuse to eat it unless its organic even?

I would eat organic meat if it wasn't so fucking expensive. If organic farmers/organisations against unethical animal treatment in farms/hippies and the such like want to subsidise my wages so that i earn enough to be able to afford organic meat/food then i'll buy it. Until then i'll eat whatever meat i like with no reproach.

Incidentally it seems PETA are rather keen on ending the 'suffering' of perfectly healthy animals too: http://www.petakillsanimals.com/downloads/PetaKillsAnimals.pdf

you're not a hypocrite if you don't sign it, no. why would you be? you'd simply be a heartless bastard.

EDIT: Forgot, I haven't signed the petition. And I don't intend on it. Why? Cos I doubt it will do fuck all. And if it does, I'd be pretty fucking miffed.

..... :stupid:

look at the machinery they're using, its all designed for an EXACT purpose, which CAN'T in any way lead to "humane treatment". Its not a case of a few workers spitting on the cows or kicking them in the bollocks is it?.

show me the video of a guy kicking a cow in the bollocks. cows dont have bollocks for a start, bloody veggies. carrots feel pain too you know.

whats wrong with exciting the animals? their lives must be pretty boring the rest of the time. standing in a field with no meat to eat. poor future cheeseburgers

ronald.jpg

I WORKED AT MCDONALDS FOR A YEAR WHEN I WAS 14 - hmm, yes it was pretty shit looking back on it.

Also just noticed this part. How can you "avoid" excitmenet, pain or suffering when killing ANY animal? If you're trying to kill god knows how many cows in one day, they'd want to be pretty efficient with it, and I doubt they're going to give it a general anaethetic, cos then how the fuck would they move them on to the next stage of slaughter? Its easier to prod them cos then they move themselves, and cows are heavy bloody things. Lifting them into the slaughter table would require employing a couple of extra men, which means paying more wages blah blah blah blah

In that video of the cows, all the stages of that slaughter seemed.....well, pretty necessary and unavoidable for a slaughterhouse, apart form the bit at the end where they were kicking blood into the cows face.

And how else they going to kill tons of dolphins? They're not going to kill them in the water, cos then they go limp in water, which is hard to manouevre them in, and they would have to get in amongst the other dolphins who would be real angry and attack them, and then get the dead, heavy dolphins out. It's all a huge pain and would be alot easier to pull them out while they're alive and slit their throats while their on land, where they can't swim away or get their mates to gang up on you.

I mean, does anybody in this thread that cares so much about making sure they're emat is treated right refuse to eat it meat unless its organic even?

Fuck it. I'm screaming down a wall.

No you're not, I do understand what you're saying and your argument is pretty sound (if a bit aggressive at times). No killing could be described as entirely humane but the key word was "avoidable", there will be an element of pain clearly but as Alkaline says it's killing out of necessity (or "perceived neccesity" to veggies) and the least amount of pain, suffering etc should be the aim. "Farm animals" have been a staple part of our diet since the beginning of man and we are producing enough meat to feed ourselves (global poverty aside) in the most humane way possible. I appreciate your point on the humane way of slaughtering dolphins. There is surely a better way to do this or not at all? Are Dolphins a staple part of Japanese diet? Probably a staple part of dolphin "hunters" wages I suppose.

One difference that gets to me is the fact that the dolphins are wild animals and not bred for slaughter but I can't really argue against your point of hypocrisy on this. I don't suppose there should be a difference but it's what I think.

I would think twice about eating meat if the legislation on slaughter was not abided by. But it hopefully is on the whole.

..... :stupid:
i meant if you don't cvare about the animals being killed,w hich is why you wouldn't sign the petition.....I do realise it may have made me look like a n00b saying that.
show me the video of a guy kicking a cow in the bollocks. cows dont have bollocks for a start, bloody veggies. carrots feel pain too you know.
it was hypocthetical.

That is absolutely vile... I mean I understand animals are killed for food & other resources, but the way these creatures are being killed is just disgusting.. Is it really necessary to let them suffocate and writhe in pain before dying? Why not just give it one good clean blow, so it at least won't suffer? I can't even put into words how fuckin' appauled I am.... :swearing::down:

Of course it isn't necessary to let them die in such a brutal way, but I think it's fairly naive to expect any significant extension of mercy in an industry that does after all thrive on the murder and butchery of live animals. As someone mentioned earlier it is surely far more efficient and cost effective to slaughter the dolphins in such a vulgar way, and any company that scores capital from killing animals is going to have dubious capacity for interest in their welfare at the expense of profit. Are you really all that surprised?

The point of a video like this is, and all the others, is to highlight a paticularly extreme case of inhumane treatment. The point is that seeing as it is pure sepculation as to whether the meat you consume comes from an offending abbatoir or not none of us really know what is going on behind those paticular walls and how the meat on your plate came to be. Of course there is gore and shock value, of course such things do not go on like this everywhere, but the point is they do happen. Full stop. These videos aren't staged. And that chance is enough to warrant genuine concern.

And if you are as disgusted with such things as you imply there is a very feasible way to stop contributing to the factory farm industry that is within your power and a lot more rewarding than a rant on a message board. It goes iwthout saying that it is stop buying/consuming meat. No demand = no product, less demand = less product etc. Although I'd wager a bet very few who speak out so vehemently against such videos are willing to stand up to their moral convictions by putting it into practise. If you do, good luck to you and otherwise as I believe Teabags has been trying to say all along you are being pretty hypocritical in being so verbally opposed to such events when you are contributing towards on our own soil.

Sorry for going on at length, and I realise I sound like a total militant cunt etc. But it is a serious issue and I think the point is worth raising in any thread set out to deal with animal cruelty.

Racism now, hmm?

to be fair he did say "and thats gay" its one of those joke things. it may not be funny to a lot of folk....but i thought it was.

anyway, if you really think about it EVERYTHING is rascist. the fact we say things like "you shoudln't discrimate black people" (or whatever the PC word for a "black" person is now today) is grouping people with a different tone of skin from 'white' people and that my friends is rascist in itself. why do we have to be black or white or yellow people. can't we all just be 'people'?

anyway, its us 'white' folks that are 'coloured' : we turn red when we get sunburn, green when we get sick, blue when we're cold, and brown when we tan. black people just stay the same colour no matter what!

p.s, if someone says what i just said there was rascist......fuck right off. balls.

As written by the person who put this video on youtube:

"It's good to see all the viewpoints on this topic. No, not all slaughtehouses utilize the method depicted in the video; however, the particular one documented (Agriprocessors) is THE WORLD'S LARGEST GLATT KOSHER SLAUGHTERHOUSE. This investigation resulted in legal action against the facility, although they assert that nothing they did violated Jewish tradition."

It's okay, I already know about dodgy PETA-supporting types and their links to dubious racist/anti-semitic individuals/organisations.

Might be wise to consider that your comments are available publicly before posting further, though.

1-I don't support Peta. As already mentioned. Just because I'm a vegetarian doesn't have anything to do with Peta.

2-Aye, I'm a total fascist jew hating upper class rich kid.

3-It might be wise to stop spouting uninformed drivel before making yourself look like a complete and utter fucktard.