aberdeen-music

ENGLISH smoking ban starts july

just found out the english smoking ban starts in july. shit cause im on tour in august.:swearing:

but even then, it's been almost 12 months since our smoking ban came in, and i still feel just as angry about it. but by now i've given up any hope that our government is going to do anything right of course.

if u support this then u must realize your supporting the invasion of human rights. we should have set this out as having smoking and non smoking pubs (landlord's decision), rather than targeting smokers as bad people.

to quote Bill Hicks - "Some of you are sitting here with a drink in your hand saying 'Smokings So Bad, Bill! It's So Bad!'. Yeah Well I can't kill anyone in a car cause im smoking a fucking cigarette can I"

Guest Tam o' Shantie

was about to reply by saying simply 'FUCK OFF', then I realised that everyone else had already said it. And kudos for quoting Bill Hicks, nothing makes for a more controversial and scathing post.

just found out the english smoking ban starts in july. shit cause im on tour in august.:swearing:

but even then, it's been almost 12 months since our smoking ban came in, and i still feel just as angry about it. but by now i've given up any hope that our government is going to do anything right of course.

if u support this then u must realize your supporting the invasion of human rights. we should have set this out as having smoking and non smoking pubs (landlord's decision), rather than targeting smokers as bad people.

to quote Bill Hicks - "Some of you are sitting here with a drink in your hand saying 'Smokings So Bad, Bill! It's So Bad!'. Yeah Well I can't kill anyone in a car cause im smoking a fucking cigarette can I"

Funniest thing I've read in years (on the assumption that the boy is having a laugh...right?)

Bill Hicks, there's a cunt than can talk about smoking...oh, except he can't coz he died...of cancer.

Invasion of Human Rights? get it right fucking up ye. Ever had your lungs invaded by some manky smoking cunt fucking bastard knobcheese wanstain/s fucking bastardin' secondary cunting filthly smoke?

I have...

...gave me Tourette's

As a smoker......

Pfft, smokers these days need more dedication. If you really love smoking, having to do it outside shouldn't be a problem. Lightweights...

I agree. I thought it would be a struggle at first but I got into the way of it and I quite enjoy the whole process of going outside for a cigarette. It breaks up your night out. I also drink less as I’m outside puffing all the time. It’s win/win for all.

I laughed at some old bloke outside a pub when it was first implemented:

“It’ll nivvir last ‘is smoking ban”.

Aye, they’ll just change their mind mate “actually, this isn’t working, you can smoke in pubs again!”.

As for supporting the invasion of human rights…….

...............where’s the “joey” emoticon? This’ll have to do :laughing:

i think the smoking ban has been ace. i was cynical about it to start with but no, it's all good. when i went to england lately and people were smoking in pubs and clubs it was just weird.

i had friends up from england a while back and they agreed it was better. i quite enjoy going outside to smoke, particularly at the moorings, met some real interesting characters outside! :up:

I can't believe people were ever allowed to smoke in pubs in the first place.

Back when I was a little kid you could smoke in Marks & Spencers (as well as everywhere else), they had these big floor mounted ashtrays the site of litter bins. The Co-op had them too. Can anyone imagine smoking in a supermarket or department store these days? And as for cinemas... that was purgetory. Buses too, I can remember when the whole bus was smoking, then they just made it the upstairs. And planes, people used to smoke on all flights, I guess in some countries they still do. Back in 1990 I worked in an office and people just sat and smoked at their desks. The whole place was a blue haze.

Go back twenty five years and everywhere was smoking and it sucked.

Smoking is a privalege... not a right, not an entitlement, and certainly not the 'default mode'.

• Upvote 1

Fuck's sake. If you think the smoking ban is an invasion of human rights consider how you'd feel if you were a non smoker who worked in a bar and came home reeking of smoke every night. The government isn't doing it to be an arse, it's doing it to hopefully minimise the amount of people, specifically non smokers who end up dying of lung cancer and other such nasties every year.

Go back twenty five years and everywhere was smoking and it sucked.

Smoking is a privalege... not a right, not an entitlement, and certainly not the 'default mode'.

Absolutely correct on both points - positive feedback left :up:

Smokers, 99.9999999% of whom I'm sure are wonderful human beings, become, before and during the act, completely irrational and self-centred cunts.

Even my lovely auld mum - who has sacrificed her entire life to the care of others and is a fantastic human being - turns into a horned demon whenever fags are brought into the equation. Just you try and tell her that "she can't smoke here". She thinks nothing of blowing clouds of filthy miasma into the lungs of her beloved grandchildren.

Smokers - you want lung cancer, hardening/furring of the arteries, yellow teeth and a body odour that would strip paint? - be my guest - just keep it the fuck away from me and mine. Thank you!

Since it's gone it's made me far less tolerant of smoking I do encounter. I think as I'm not used to it, it makes it more obvious.

I don't think you're alone there. There seems to be an attitude that the ban is proof that smokers definately are the scum of the earth (or something like that).

You have your smoke free environment, Just let us enjoy it eh?! :gringo: :gringo: :gringo:

it's made smoking a much more social thing. you go outside for a smoke and end up getting into all manner of interesting conversations with folks you wouldn't have spoken to otherwise. it's great. and it's only gonna get better with summer on the way! :)

Very true. I've had some great banter with bands who have offered to go for a cigarette and divulged in some totally crazy conversation of tours and boozing or other situations.

it's made smoking a much more social thing. you go outside for a smoke and end up getting into all manner of interesting conversations with folks you wouldn't have spoken to otherwise. it's great. and it's only gonna get better with summer on the way! :)

This does annoy me, not only am I missing out on the wonders of nictotine, I am possibly missing out banter straight out of the top drawer.