aberdeen-music

Distortion pedals

Chris

I'm looking to get a new distortion pedal. I've had a BOSS MT-2 Metalzone for the last few years and think it's great. I'm on my second one but the switch is a bit fucked on it so before I just go and get another one, which is tempting, I thought I'd see if anyone had any good recommendations for a metal distortion.

Are you looking for a distortion similar to the MT-2?

The pedals I'd look at most would be the H&K Warp Factor (the only distortion pedal I like), the Digitech Distortion Factory and the Line 6 Uber Metal.

For me, it's a no contest. The H&K (IMO) blows the rest away.

In saying that, it's difficult for me to tell you what you'd like given the fact I don't like the Metal Zone too much.

BOSS are releasing the MC-2 (Metal Core) pedal soon (if not already). We're getting one in for stock so ya should pop in and try it. :up:

Whilst on the same subject, albeit for a different type of playing, can anyone recommend some cheap and nasty pedals for harsh noise purposes?

(Thanks in advance to anyone prepared to take pity on such a guitaryy-type novice.)

BOSS Metal Zone :laughing:

Na, erm... Digitech Death Metal is probably what comes to mind first. R&B has plenty, give a few a blast. What amp are they going through?

Digitech Death Metal is probably what comes to mind first. R&B has plenty, give a few a blast. What amp are they going through?

For a start, a shitty (but loud) Squier 10W job. This will become a better amp when I ask someone to recommend a decent one of those too....

Are you looking for a distortion similar to the MT-2?

The pedals I'd look at most would be the H&K Warp Factor (the only distortion pedal I like), the Digitech Distortion Factory and the Line 6 Uber Metal.

For me, it's a no contest. The H&K (IMO) blows the rest away.

In saying that, it's difficult for me to tell you what you'd like given the fact I don't like the Metal Zone too much.

BOSS are releasing the MC-2 (Metal Core) pedal soon (if not already). We're getting one in for stock so ya should pop in and try it. :up:

Well like I say I've been using the metal zone for a while and I can almost always get a good sound out of it no matter what amp it's going through, so nothing too different. Guess going in to R&B and having a play might be the way to go though.

You guys got the warp factor in stock just now?

I notice electro harmonix do a metal distortion as well now, any idea if it's any good?

Well like I say I've been using the metal zone for a while and I can almost always get a good sound out of it no matter what amp it's going through, so nothing too different. Guess going in to R&B and having a play might be the way to go though.

You guys got the warp factor in stock just now?

I notice electro harmonix do a metal distortion as well now, any idea if it's any good?

We don't unfortunately (re the Warp). Last time we had one in stock was a couple of years ago and I bought it. For some reason there hasn't been one replace it. I'll get on the case though as it's the best heavy distortion pedal I've ever tried.

Are you referring to the Metal Muff? We've got them in the shop I believe. Haven't tried it yet though so I'm not sure if it's up to much.

As you know though, best way to go about it is to give them all a blast yourself though. :up:

The Metal Muff is apparently really good, but a pretty shite pedal for metal, funnily enough.

I'd imagine the Boss Metal Core pedal is basically a rebranded Boss Mega Distortion?

According to the Boss site the ML-2 Metal Core pedal is

the most potent and heavy distortion pedal ever created by BOSS. It easily delivers massive distortion and gain with heavy lows for playing Nu Metal, Grind Core, Industrial, Hard Core, or any genre that requires crushing sound. The ML-2s ferocious and biting tone will complement and cut through any blast beats your rhythm section can create.

# Ultra-heavy distortion with sharp-edged attack for crushing metal riffs

# LOW control for heavy, low frequency sound a la 7-string guitar or dropped tuning

# HIGH control for screaming, metallic tone

# Road-tough BOSS metal construction

Most sites have it going for 89

Yep, that's pretty much the exact sound Boss claimed the Mega Distortions went for! Weird.

I'd give both a try, 'cause the MD can be picked up for 30 quid second hand. I had one, and always found the seperate Gain, Level and Distortion controls were pretty useful. Only got shot of it because I decided I prefer overdrive bite.

Was in R&B today trying a few out. The Death Metal is a beasting sound but very much a one trick pony (can't alter the distortion level, just the level, low, mid and high), basically it's got two settings; on or off. Tried the Boss Mega Distortion but couldn't get a sound I was happy with out of it. Lastly I had a go of the Pocket Metal Muff. Very similar sound to the Metal Zone, but about 15 cheaper. The lack of EQ settings was a bit disappointing though.

Apparently the Warp Factor is discontinued and they're getting the ML-2 in April.

Was in R&B today trying a few out. The Death Metal is a beasting sound but very much a one trick pony (can't alter the distortion level, just the level, low, mid and high), basically it's got two settings; on or off. Tried the Boss Mega Distortion but couldn't get a sound I was happy with out of it. Lastly I had a go of the Pocket Metal Muff. Very similar sound to the Metal Zone, but about 15 cheaper. The lack of EQ settings was a bit disappointing though.

Apparently the Warp Factor is discontinued and they're getting the ML-2 in April.

Hi Chris, I would very highly recommend the Tonebone pedals. Expensive at 200 but worth every penny. I've got the hot British which i have just got sounding very nice with the gain at 1! Can give alot of varied sounds and apparently the Tonebone Classic is just as good, if not better. I'll confirm that in 2 weeks when i get mine. :D

Ciaranx

Hi Chris, I would very highly recommend the Tonebone pedals. Expensive at 200 but worth every penny. I've got the hot British which i have just got sounding very nice with the gain at 1! Can give alot of varied sounds and apparently the Tonebone Classic is just as good, if not better. I'll confirm that in 2 weeks when i get mine. :D

Ciaranx

If I could afford that kind of outlay I think I'd be looking at a Mesa Boogie V-Twin or maybe I'd think about buying a 2nd hand valve head for a bit more and just use the pedals for boost.

As it stands, I'm skint so it's run of the mill distortion pedals for now.

I need to order a new PSU for mine (the current one is knackered).

Once I do, you can have a shot of mine and if you like it, 25 will do. :up:

Wouldn't mind a shot to see what it's like. The urgency of the situation has lessened due to a liberal scoosh of switch cleaner into my MT-2. This seems to have eased the switch problems it was having, but there's still no harm in looking to see what other pedals are out there.

Wouldn't mind a shot to see what it's like. The urgency of the situation has lessened due to a liberal scoosh of switch cleaner into my MT-2. This seems to have eased the switch problems it was having, but there's still no harm in looking to see what other pedals are out there.

Cool well you can have a shot of it anyway it's no bother. I don't know you at all (to see) though!

I never use it (what with having a Powerball - soon to be an ENGL SE :up: - anyway) so it won't be a problem if it's not here...

The warp works fine with a universal power pack which you can get cheekily discounted by me.....

I thought you'd cleaned all the switches on your metal zone? It is quite possible that it just needed that as Kenny hadn't used the thing in 2 years :/

EDIT: Actually having said that there's a nagging suspicion in my mind that it doesn't work with universal ps-u's. i canna mind :p

it depends...

what amp do you own... and is it solid state or valves?

because metalzone style pedals work well with solid states but sound terrible through valve amps.

I've got a solid state Laney HCM120R for gigging and I use whatever I'm lucky/unlucky enough to get in the room at Tom's for practice.