aberdeen-music

Lunar eclipse right now

Stripey

Did I read correctly that someone thought another planet was eclipsing the moon? As in a planet being BETWEEN the Earth and the moon? oh dear.....

So for ignorant people: during a total lunar eclispe - the moon's orbit bring it into the Earth's umbral shadow (as in the Earth blocks all direct sunlight from reaching the moon.

I say direct sunlight, because the Earth's atmosphere reFRACTS light from the sun towards the moon, but only light in the orange/red wavelength's is of a long enough wavelength for this refraction to occur (this is the reason the sky is blue, all the shorter wavelenghts are scattered in the atmosphere...).

So during totality the moon appears an orange or blood red colour and is quite spectacular to watch!

Now you know, the next one is 21st February next year i believe...

Don't be fucking retarded. Did you not read the news? Neptune's been being a bit frisky of late and thought it would play a bit of a crazy practical joke on the rest of our solar system. The cheeky japester.

Pfft, science...

Did I read correctly that someone thought another planet was eclipsing the moon? As in a planet being BETWEEN the Earth and the moon? oh dear.....

So for ignorant people: during a total lunar eclispe - the moon's orbit bring it into the Earth's umbral shadow (as in the Earth blocks all direct sunlight from reaching the moon.

I say direct sunlight, because the Earth's atmosphere reFRACTS light from the sun towards the moon, but only light in the orange/red wavelength's is of a long enough wavelength for this refraction to occur (this is the reason the sky is blue, all the shorter wavelenghts are scattered in the atmosphere...).

So during totality the moon appears an orange or blood red colour and is quite spectacular to watch!

Now you know, the next one is 21st February next year i believe...

Actually now that I think about it.. WTF! A planet between here and the Moon. Yes. Now it falls into place.

I honestly thought another planet was causing the eclipse.

Come In Number 5 your time is up!!!!!

In a moment of intoxicated idiocy (or lunacy?) I questioned whether the sun was eclipsing the moon. Seriously. I then took a second to think about it......why is everyone looking at me like that?.............penny drops. :O :O :O ..........ha *hic*...I wiz only joking.........:O :O :O............I'll get the pints in.