aberdeen-music

News

Jim Stax

From the Scottish Executive web site.

Announced on Tuesday

"Scotland's music industry is to benefit from extra and better co-ordinated support from the country's enterprise networks, it was announced today.

A key element of this will be a new 500,000 fund - the Scottish Music Futures Fund - to support the music stars of tomorrow. The new fund will be made available across Scotland.

The summit follows on from the Music Industry Summit in October last year and involved the Cross Party Group on Contemporary Music (CPG), representatives of the enterprise networks, Scottish Arts Council, and figures from the Scottish music industry.

Deputy First Minister Nicol Stephen said:

"There has been a lot of work done since last year's Music Summit. I am pleased that the sector is now organising itself to speak with one voice and is in a position to express the needs of the industry as a whole.

"I am delighted to confirm that Ministers have listened to that voice. The industry asked us to support the proposed new Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA). Scottish Enterprise (SE) and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) will now contribute financially to the creation of the new association.

"We will make 500,000 available to administer the new Scottish Music Futures Fund. It will be administered by HIE, who have considerable expertise in supporting the music industry.

"The enterprise networks will also will work alongside the Scottish Arts Council and industry representatives to support the industry to develop its strategy for contemporary music.

"This strategy will require close and detailed discussions with the music industry. This will result in the delivery for the first time in Scotland of a strategy to support the commercial development of the music industry. The Scottish Arts Council and the new SMIA, once it is operational will be involved in the consultation.

"The Scottish contemporary music industry is making its mark internationally and is something of which we should be proud. It is an industry that deserves government backing. I am delighted to give that backing - the fusion of musical talent with business expertise can significantly strengthen our growing industry."

The CPG was formed in 2000 and comprises a broad cross-section of musicians, music industry figures, politicians, education experts and media representatives. The CPG believes that Scotland has the potential to be a world leader in the creation and marketing of contemporary music, and has a big contribution to make to the Scottish economy."

I don't know very much about the politics behind it, but for the fund to be administered by HIE could be a massive step towards recognition that Glasgow isn't the be all and end all as far as music goes.

500k is a decent inital investment, but I wonder what's been culled to pay for it?

none of this funding is relevant or useful to any of you, it's a token gesture and most of that half a million will likely go on airfares for sending orchestras to perform in other countries.

I thought that, but with HIE funding it, it's quite possible that it'll be funnelled into things such as Go Events instead.

All arts funding is questionable in a way, but this actually sounds encouraging.

This funding, and the new Scottish Music Industry Association that seems to have been green lighted, is for the development and support of the 'Scottish contemporary music' and wont be heading towards orchestras, they come under a different support stream, I believe.

One of the primary initiatives for this comes from the fact that there is a huge national economic resource available from the music industry. Currently, due a lack of infrastructure and understanding, a great deal of this money heads out of the country with bands taking up root in other parts of the world.

The attempt here is to start a process where the money generated through music, is fed back into the country. Whether this actually happens, as much as we would want, or will benefit those at grassroots level is another question but any affort to change is surely for the better. These develepments have all been started by folk working in the industry and not politicians...

This funding, and the new Scottish Music Industry Association that seems to have been green lighted is for the development and support of the 'Scottish contemporary music' and wont be heading towards orchestras, they come under a different support stream, I believe.

One of the primary initiatives for this comes from the fact that there is a huge national economic resource available from the music industry. Currently, due a lack of infrastructure and understanding, a great deal of this money heads out of the country with bands taking up root in other parts of the world.

The attempt here is to start a process where the money generated through music, is fed back into the country. Whether this actually happens, as much as we would want, or will benefit those at grassroots level is another question but any affort to change is surely for the better. These develepments have all been started by folk working in the industry and not politicians...

obviously i really like the idea of funding filtering through to the grassroots of the contemporary scene. this should help nurture & encourage those music artists trying to make an individual statement....... good one

at this point any likelyhood of local meetings to focus on why/where/how etc

obviously i really like the idea of funding filtering through to the grassroots of the contemporary scene. this should help nurture & encourage those music artists trying to make an individual statement....... good one

at this point any likelyhood of local meetings to focus on why/where/how etc

I think these will be sometime away yet as the SMIA (apologies for the use of an acronym) has been agreed to exist in principal. What will be taking place now is talk of the planning, time frame, structure etc.

Nothing to stop talk taking place in the various cities though. Hell we could even get ahead of the game on this one, if deemed neccessary.

At one of the industry panels during Go Dundee on Thursday the emphasis was very much about the importance of live music and naturally, for Dundee more so than Aberdeen, the lack of good venues. Basically, without good small venues new 'live' music flounders. Very interesting points that made me think about how some funding could be put to good use...

(now if only this had happened a few years ago)

I think these will be sometime away yet as the SMIA (apologies for the use of an acronym) has been agreed to exist in principal. What will be taking place now is talk of the planning, time frame, structure etc.

Nothing to stop talk taking place in the various cities though. Hell we could even get ahead of the game on this one, if deemed neccessary.

Aberdeen should definitely try and steal a march on elsewhere by forming a group specifically to address the concerns of the local players. We've got the advantage of a fair amount of local music business being locally owned - so it could definitely be a goer. It could also throw up some interesting possibilities without resorting to any sort of public cash too.

At one of the industry panels during Go Dundee on Thursday the emphasis was very much about the importance of live music and naturally, for Dundee more so than Aberdeen, the lack of good venues. Basically, without good small venues new 'live' music flounders. Very interesting points that made me think about how some funding could be put to good use...

Any idea what kind of figure would be needed in public subsidy to keep a small venue going in Aberdeen, hypothetically speaking?

Aberdeen should definitely try and steal a march on elsewhere by forming a group specifically to address the concerns of the local players. We've got the advantage of a fair amount of local music business being locally owned - so it could definitely be a goer. It could also throw up some interesting possibilities without resorting to any sort of public cash too.

Any idea what kind of figure would be needed in public subsidy to keep a small venue going in Aberdeen, hypothetically speaking?

No idea these days...

Can I ask you what the reasoning is behind your apparent aversion to subsidy for the arts and cultural sector?

I'm not a believer in subsidy as the only means of existing but surely if there is money for things other than new shopping malls, strange council developments and ideas then this should be used (for assistance) by those making and providing new and exciting projects whether it be music or art? This nature of funding is what allows people to raise their game and us to benefit. That's why the funding exists and also why there is a fairly rigourous application process, in most cases.