aberdeen-music

Sample help.

Alkaline

I'm looking to use a particular vocal sample in a recording and was wondering what the legal stand point on film dialogue samples is and if anyone's had any first hand experience in dealing with it?

The sample is from a well known film, one of the earlier Bond flicks.

It has better be...

Bond : "Do you expect me to talk?"

Goldfinger : "No Mr Bond, I expect you to DIE!"

...or you'll be hearing from my attorneys :laughing:

Film soundtracks and dialogue etc are all copyrighted, you would have to apply for consent. Unless of course you are making a white label bootleg thats never going to properly released...

Personally I stay away from using things like voice clips from films, something like a bond film would be instantly recognisable for what it is (obviously) and ultimately doing it with such well known material usually comes off as pretty naff.

One alternative could be to have the line performed by someone else...

Film soundtracks and dialogue etc are all copyrighted, you would have to apply for consent. Unless of course you are making a white label bootleg thats never going to properly released...

Personally I stay away from using things like voice clips from films, something like a bond film would be instantly recognisable for what it is (obviously) and ultimately doing it with such well known material usually comes off as pretty naff.

One alternative could be to have the line performed by someone else...

Cheers for the help. Would you have to pay a ridiculous amount to use something like that? Where would i stand if i, for example, read the line? Is there not some sort of performance infringement on a screenplay as there would be if you were performing it on-stage?

Print this articlePrint version PrevPrev 11/12 NextNext

11 Sampling Speech

Using a sample of dialogue from a film or television programme will also require clearance.

This is very hard to obtain, especially with films. Hollywood is very protective of its product, so a film company may simply refuse outright or demand such a high fee that it's not feasible to release the song. It's a similar case with TV.

As with music, there are two copyrights to clear, one for the script and one for the recording of it in the film. So getting a friend to re-read the dialogue will not get you around the problem completely.

This is further complicated by the fact that actors often have clauses in their contracts which give them the right to be consulted for uses like this. That means more time and expense when trying to get things cleared.

In short, the whole business is pretty much impossible. That's reflected in the extremely small number of records that you hear using samples of film and TV dialogue. If it were easy, a lot more people would be doing it.

Cheers Stripey.

On a side note, would you be interested in remixing some of Genevieve's new material when we get it recorded. I liked the ambient feel of some of the stuff you put up a while back.

Possibly, give me a shout when it's recorded and I'll have a listen to it.

Possibly, give me a shout when it's recorded and I'll have a listen to it.

Cool. I'll bung you a link when we get our studio finished and the tracks recorded properly.

Also, say someone's said something in a speech that has been broadcast in the public domain is it still liable under the same terms as the above situation or is it easier to clear something like that.

Cool. I'll bung you a link when we get our studio finished and the tracks recorded properly.

Also, say someone's said something in a speech that has been broadcast in the public domain is it still liable under the same terms as the above situation or is it easier to clear something like that.

Whoever broadcast/recorded it would have mechanical copyright on it(as in copyright on the recording, it was their equipment, technicians, money etc that paid for it to be recorded and/or broadcast) so you couldn't use a sample without permission.