aberdeen-music

condenser microphone wanted

spellchecker

I've used AKG C1000 on recorded vocals before. Sounded quite good but not desperate to use them again for close vocal mic'ing.

They make fairly good room/distance mics but not brilliant mics for close up.

A SM58 plugged into good pre-amps and A/D conversion should sound good on a recording.

Ideally, use a large diaphram condensor close up with small diaphram condensor(s) to capture the sound of the room.

After saying that, one good mic will sound better than 3 average mics.

The best results I've had with the equipment available to me is

AKG C414 XL-II about 10cm from vocalist

2 AKG C1000s at about 1.5-2m (stereo room mics)

People on harmony central forums were quite quick to recommend studio projects B1 and C1.

Another suggestion: Octava M-012 is a good small diaphram condensor for general use. A pair of them would make a sensible addition to a studio, if you are starting out.

Spend decent money on a large diaphram condensor for close mic'd voice and acoustic instrument (or buy the Studio Projects mic and upgrade later).

The SE electronics 2200 is also a sensible suggestion

Have to disagree with the above post. The AKG 1000 is an excellent all round condensor for a home studio, and is great with both vocals and acoustic instruments for that price range. I've had no problems whatsoever with close miced stuff, and have had impressive results with vocals, acoustic guitars, blues harp, as well as micing amps etc.

Recorded again with 2 of them today as distance vocal mics. Haven't had a chance to listen back to the recordings yet so can't really comment on how sucessfull they were.

When I recorded voice with C1000 before, the results were quite good, just not as good as the with the C414 (as you might expect with the price difference and such).

I have used them on Hi-Hat and underside of snare before. Stands out as particularly good for underside of snare but does a good job on vocals and hi-hat also.

I didn't claim that C1000 was a bad microphone becuase it is not. If you are going to get only one microphone for recording purposes, you would be better off with a large diaphram mic, in my opinion.

The most balanced sound of acoustic instruments such as voice are likely to be produced by a number of microphones, only one of which is close up (and usually a large diaphram mic).

Octava MK 012 is also winning a large quantity of praise and serve as an alternative to small diaphram condensors such as AKG C1000 and Rode NT5

• 2 weeks later...

At risk of brining up an 'old' topic:

I recorded this band, AKG C1000 was used on underside of snare and hi-hat. It was also used as a vocal mic (in combination with other microphones) on tracks 'Better Man' and 'Get out of my Life.'

Hidden Profile

note: quite a number of mistakes were made during the recording and I used behringer pre-amps and converters, so the potential exists for C1000 to sound much better.

Used C1000 on every instrument i've recorded of my own band, so far (usually AKG C414 close up and 2 C1000's at a distance).