aberdeen-music

Guitar Rig

Tronaliser

Guest DustyDeviada
Whats your thoughts on the GT8 Dusty?

Well, I haven't actually played one, but if it's the model I'm thinking of I seem to remember reading that it has a feature that will automatically channel switch your amp for you, which I think is a first for a multi-fx unit, and a great idea.

In general however, I think there's an awful lot of snobbery around about multi-fx units. Some people just decide that individual pedals will sound better, even though they are often made by the same manufacturer. In general, I think the quality of multi-fx units has come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years with modelling and stuff.

But it really depends what you want it to do. I still use a Korg multi-fx unit that I've had for about five years, because it still does what I want it to do, which is mainly adding delay/reverb/compression for clean tones, setting volume levels so I can come in with a higher volume for solos etc, and it has a volume pedal. I don't use the distortions much.

But if you are plugging one of these into a solid state amp, don't expect to get a great, tube like distortion tone. Expect to get a sound like a bee in a jam jar.

If I was buying a new unit now I would look at the GT-8 or one of the Pods, ie Floor Pod or Pod XT.

My advice - go into R & B and try a few units, try to use as close to your own set up as possible, ie there's no pint using one of their high end amps and guitars to test the unit if you will actually be using it with a Squire strat and a solid state Peavey.

Well, I haven't actually played one, but if it's the model I'm thinking of I seem to remember reading that it has a feature that will automatically channel switch your amp for you, which I think is a first for a multi-fx unit, and a great idea.

In general however, I think there's an awful lot of snobbery around about multi-fx units. Some people just decide that individual pedals will sound better, even though they are often made by the same manufacturer. In general, I think the quality of multi-fx units has come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years with modelling and stuff.

But it really depends what you want it to do. I still use a Korg multi-fx unit that I've had for about five years, because it still does what I want it to do, which is mainly adding delay/reverb/compression for clean tones, setting volume levels so I can come in with a higher volume for solos etc, and it has a volume pedal. I don't use the distortions much.

But if you are plugging one of these into a solid state amp, don't expect to get a great, tube like distortion tone. Expect to get a sound like a bee in a jam jar.

If I was buying a new unit now I would look at the GT-8 or one of the Pods, ie Floor Pod or Pod XT.

My advice - go into R & B and try a few units, try to use as close to your own set up as possible, ie there's no pint using one of their high end amps and guitars to test the unit if you will actually be using it with a Squire strat and a solid state Peavey.

Thanks man, appreciate your advise and I think thats exactly what i'll do. :)

Ciaranx