aberdeen-music

Guitar Rig

Tronaliser

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone would be able to help me or offer me some advise. I'm looking to extend my overall guitar set-up over the next year and maybe need a helping hand to point me in the right direction. (spent about 6years trying to get to know my drum equipment, now gotta spend 10 trying to get a guitar set-up)

I'm presently using my Epiphone Shiridan 335 with a Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary all valve 20-watt combo. I own the Digitech EX-7 Expression, Digitech Whammy, Boss DD-6 Digital Delay, Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Tonebone Hot British Distortion and well as my amp's onboard distortion and reverb. Is there any specific order i should have these in when I'm setting up my pedals? Does it make that much of a difference? Is there much point in me using my FX-loop on my amp?

Also, any other recommended pedals? Especially distortions or expression pedal (delays, Echos, reverbs, etc.) or weirdly wonderful effects?

Think this is one for the guru's of aberdeen-music.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated,

Ciaranx

I bought the Tonebone "Classic" pedal. It has "The Tone" I've been searching for.

Jubbly.

Good shout on the H&K amp. I have the Trilogy half-stack. Rock's best kept secret!

Trilogy half stack :love::up: Where did you get that from?

Is the Classic as good as the British? What sorta of tones are you getting from it? Any examples? You sound like you have good taste. ha! Don't suppose you have any other suggestions for my other questions?

Ciaranx

Trilogy half stack :love::up: Where did you get that from?

Is the Classic as good as the British? What sorta of tones are you getting from it? Any examples? You sound like you have good taste. ha! Don't suppose you have any other suggestions for my other questions?

Ciaranx

Bought it privately (at a HUGE discount :up: ) from some guy in Edinburgh with more money than sense who couldn't play a note, but liked the "look" of it. God bless him and his kind :love:

I'm not much of an effects expert, but my understanding is that the signal path through the "clean" channel via the guitar input in order (where applicable) should be :-

Preamp

Compressor

Distortion

Wah-Wah Pedal

Chorus/Flanger

Delay

EQ

Noise Gate

Volume Pedal

Digital Reverb

No doubt I'll get shot down like a burning Spitfire by the technocrats, but this set up has served me well.

Also, of all the guitars I've tried through the H&K (including Angel of Death's funcy Dimebag Dean), my Gibbo Les Paul in conjunction with the Tonebone Classic has, for me anyway, the best sound of all.

Guest Gasss

Generally, the usual order for effects is

Compressor

Overdrive/distortion

Solo boost

Modulation (chorus/phaser/flanger/pitch/trem)

EQ

Delay

Reverb

...but you can do it any way that sounds good to you.

My own board is

to amp:

Vibrato

Pitch Shifter

Compressor

Overdrive

In effects loop:

Volume pedal

Fuzz (!)

Delay 1

Delay 2

Reverb

Looper

For the effects loop, you can experiment and see what works. Generally, its used for modulation and delay effects so that they can be placed after the amps preamp overdrive (as distorted delay etc sounds a lot different to delayed distortion). Compressors and overdrives shouldn't really go in the effects loop, unless you like noise :up:

Try Amptone.com for some useful information.

edit: bah! beaten by Diezel : )

• Upvote 1

Guest DustyDeviada

It makes quite a big difference where you put the delay - for example, do you want to delay the wah or wah the dealy, if you see what I mean. Personall, I would put the delay at the end, so you are delaying whatever sound came before it, but I would suggest experimenting and see what sounds best to you.

Thanks chaps. What my general plan over the next year is to ideally have 2 guitar floorboard/cases, one for my line out and one for my FX loop, Just trying to figure which pedals go where is the problem.

These are my thought so far:

Amp:

Bonetone Hot British

Bonetone Classic (which I am now away to purchase :up: )

Tuner

FX Loop:

Digitech Whammy Pitch Shifter

Digitech EX-7 Expression

Tremolo

Chorus (still to purchase)

Flanger (still to purchase)

DD-3 Delay (still to be purchased)

DD-6 Delay

Line 6 Echo Park Delay (still to be purchased)

Not too sure if this will work?

Also, The likes of Compressors, Gates and EG, where would i fit these in? Also, the effects i haven't bought yet, any better pedals than this? money is no object, I'm in the frame of mind that i might as well get the best now and not have to worry about it later (However, not willing to spend a grand on a chorus or something). :)

Any other modulated effects that i might find useful? It would be for experimental but coherant sounds, think Mars Volta/Mansun/10cc. Or would i be better off investing in a multi-effects unit like the GT-8?

Thanks again, really appreciate everyones help.

Ciaranx

Also, The likes of Compressors, Gates and EG, where would i fit these in?

I take it you mean EQ.

As a general rule of thumb, anything which alters the signal level, such as compressors and gates, should come before distortion.

Anything which produces signals of varying level, such as delay, should come after distortion***.

Where you put EQ is down to a matter of taste (and debate), try it pre and post compressor, and post distortion.

Reverb should be last.

After that, as Dusty says, it's down to what your trying to achieve.

***distortion is dependent on signal strength, so if you start putting in varying levels of signal, like the repeats in a delay, you're going to get varying levels of distortion.

Any other modulated effects that i might find useful? It would be for experimental but coherant sounds, think Mars Volta/Mansun/10cc. Or would i be better off investing in a multi-effects unit like the GT-8?

Thanks again, really appreciate everyones help.

Ciaranx

Ciaran,

I've owned just about everything including the Boss GT6. I now have a POD XT Live which I use for practicing at home and recording. The multi-effects units are great for experimenting, but unless you invest a lot of time setting up patches - which in turn may not lend themselves well to the venue acoustics or house PA - then they aren't much use live.

Some of the effects in multi units sound - in my opinion - really synthetic and "electronic" (if you get my meaning) compared to analogue stomp boxes like the Tonebone that we've just bought.

Really depends of what your application is I guess.

Verdict on multi-effects: great value, but you get what you pay for.

I take it you mean EQ.

As a general rule of thumb, anything which alters the signal level, such as compressors and gates, should come before distortion.

Anything which produces signals of varying level, such as delay, should come after distortion***.

Where you put EQ is down to a matter of taste (and debate), try it pre and post compressor, and post distortion.

Reverb should be last.

After that, as Dusty says, it's down to what your trying to achieve.

***distortion is dependent on signal strength, so if you start putting in varying levels of signal, like the repeats in a delay, you're going to get varying levels of distortion.

Yeah, typo. Thanks for your advise, helps a lot man. :)

Ciaranx

Ciaran,

I've owned just about everything including the Boss GT6. I now have a POD XT Live which I use for practicing at home and recording. The multi-effects units are great for experimenting, but unless you invest a lot of time setting up patches - which in turn may not lend themselves well to the venue acoustics or house PA - then they aren't much use live.

Some of the effects in multi units sound - in my opinion - really synthetic and "electronic" (if you get my meaning) compared to analogue stomp boxes like the Tonebone that we've just bought.

Really depends of what your application is I guess.

Verdict on multi-effects: great value, but you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I've always had that opinion, used to own the line 6 Flextone III amp but had the same problem, very processed/synthetic sound. I guess i just need to start buying stomp boxes.

how much do you have to spend on an amp??

I don't really need an amp to be honest man, the one I've got is perfect. Infact, I'd say its one of the best, if not the best, for its price range. If i was to get another amp I'd probably go for the Orange Rock 30. I was going to get that but the 300 difference in price and 50kgs in weight difference put me off it! I don't want to be putting my back out on the way to a show! ha! :)

Ciaranx

I don't really need an amp to be honest man, the one I've got is perfect. Infact, I'd say its one of the best, if not the best, for its price range. If i was to get another amp I'd probably go for the Orange Rock 30. I was going to get that but the 300 difference in price and 50kgs in weight difference put me off it! I don't want to be putting my back out on the way to a show! ha! :)

Ciaranx

The Orange Tiny Terror 7/15 watt amp is unbelievable! I tried one out the 1st day that R&B got them in and at "2" on 7watts you'd think the roof was going to cave in!!!

I'm seriously considering buying one for a back-up and for those classic British moments.

It won't break your bank or your back!!!

You H&K is an excellent amp though.

The Orange Tiny Terror 7/15 watt amp is unbelievable! I tried one out the 1st day that R&B got them in and at "2" on 7watts you'd think the roof was going to cave in!!!

I'm seriously considering buying one for a back-up and for those classic British moments.

It won't break your bank or your back!!!

You H&K is an excellent amp though.

hmm...sounds very interesting...rather try and build up my effects pedals first, unfortunetly don't have THAT much money. :) Just ordered the Classic, haven't heard it yet but going by the Hot British i think there is very little chance of me being disappointed. I'm picking up a Boss compressor on saturday aswell. are live gates worthwhile? toying with the idea.

How's your football injury?

Ciaranx

Also, of all the guitars I've tried through the H&K (including Angel of Death's funcy Dimebag Dean), my Gibbo Les Paul in conjunction with the Tonebone Classic has, for me anyway, the best sound of all.

WHAT?! :swearing:

:laughing:

That was indeed a nice LP. Glad it's still doing the job for you!

FOr the threadstarter - sorry man, I have no idea how to arrange pedals in an order. I think I do mine really wrong but I don't really know! ?(

As far as pedals to own - can't go wrong with a good wah (I use the Crybaby From Hell, infact NOT cos it's the Dimebag pedal, but because I think it is by far the best wah out there), a Noise Suppressor - if gigging especially -, a Floor Tuner and a good EQ.

:up:

WHAT?! :swearing:

:laughing:

That was indeed a nice LP. Glad it's still doing the job for you!

FOr the threadstarter - sorry man, I have no idea how to arrange pedals in an order. I think I do mine really wrong but I don't really know! ?(

As far as pedals to own - can't go wrong with a good wah (I use the Crybaby From Hell, infact NOT cos it's the Dimebag pedal, but because I think it is by far the best wah out there), a Noise Suppressor - if gigging especially -, a Floor Tuner and a good EQ.

:up:

Hi James!

...or should that be Hiel James? ;) ;