• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

65days = ATP

just in from Monotreme, some very interesting news SEVEN paragraphs

down = ATP

Hello,

This spring/summer sees some MAJOR excitement here at Monotreme, including 2 new releases and some world-wide touring by 65daysofstatic.

The new 3-track single by 65daysofstatic, Dont Go Down to Sorrow, is out now!

The CD single contains an edited version of Dont Go Down to Sorrow from their forthcoming album, plus new track Morning in The Knife Quarter and a new version of The Major Cites of the World Are Being Destroyed One by One by the Monsters. You can check out a stream of the single track on our myspace page (www.myspace.com/monotremerecords)

There is also an excellent new video for the single, produced by those oh-so-clever and talented Medlo folks (www.medlo.net). The video can be found on the Medlo site, the Monotreme* myspace page and website, and YouTube. Watch out for it on MTV and ORGAN TV, too.

And on the 30th of April, the stunning third album by 65daysofstatic, The Destruction Of Small Ideas, will be released. We cant say enough great things about this album. Were not worthy! Were not worthy!

The band has just returned from a short tour of Japan and Russia, and this week they head out for some UK dates, followed by mainland Europe and more UK dates. The first three shows this week are with 65dos pals and Monotreme favourites Youthmovies (newly signed to Drowned in Sound), plus Cats And Cats And Cats. And then later in the tour, the band will be joined by none other than Josh T Pearson(!) and also The Miramar Disaster and Rolo Tomassi. So be sure to get there early if you go and see them.

And we are also very proud and excited to announce that 65daysofstatic has been selected* by the fans attending this years ATP festival as one of the fans choice bands to play the festival, coming in ahead of bands including Eels, Melt Banana, Why?, Hot Chip, Calexico Wow!

So its going to be a very busy spring for 65daysofstatic! To find out where they will be playing, check our shows page on our website or, better yet, subscribe to the 65days mailing list on their website for all of the latest, and keep an eye on their tour diary at www.65daysofstatic.com .

In the summer the band will embark on their first North American tour details to be announced very soon!

Stunning. Magnificent. Groundbreaking. These are just a few of the many admiring *adjectives that have regularly appeared in reviews describing 65daysofstatic over the past few years.. So when we tell you that their 3rd album, The Destruction Of Small Ideas is their *best album yet*, you can bet that this is going to be a tremendously exciting year for a tremendously exciting band.

2006 saw 65daysofstatic undertake a virtually non-stop touring schedule in support of One Time For All Time, an album which saw them greatly expand their reputation as one of the UKs most innovative bands, with their groundbreaking mix of drum n glitch beats, walls of guitar noise, broken laptop clicks and beautiful melody.

Praise came from a diverse range of publications and broadcasters, with on air support from the likes of MTV, The BBC and XfM, among others. In print the band has been celebrated by Kerrang Magazine, Rock Sound, Time Out, The Wire, NME, Metro, The Independent, Magnet, and more plus tastemaker zines such as ORGAN, Drowned In Sound, Subba Cultcha, etc

At the end of the year, after playing sold-out headline shows and packed tents at festivals across the UK, Europe and Japan including an appearance at the Summer Sonic Festival in Osaka and Tokyo - 65daysofstatic parked the tour van and settled into the wintry environs of Rosyth, Scotland at Sub Station recording studios.* A few weeks later, they emerged with their third and best album yet, The Destruction Of Small Ideas.

With the use of live violins and the local schools grand piano, and the first appearance of live vocals (on the final track), 65daysofstatic have continued to expand their sonic palette and further hone their songwriting skills, proving once again that not only is 65daysofstatic a world-class band to be reckoned with, but also that the depth and breadth of their talent seems to know no bounds.

Tracklisting:

1. When We Were Younger & Better

2. A Failsafe

3. Don't Go Down to Sorrow

4. Wax Futures

5. These Things You Can't Unlearn

6. Lyonesse

7. Music is Music as Devices are Kisses is Everything

8. The Distant & Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties

9. Little Victories

10. Primer

11. White Peak/Dark Peak

12. The Conspiracy of Seeds

Thanks for reading!

Best wishes from Monotreme Records.

SO MANY GIGS. :D

imp are definitely one of my favourites.

EDIT: The new album is actually ace. A lot more electronic (?) I found, than One Time and Math.

Organ Online Zine gives its verdict.............. a very good un

This week weve only been listening to one thing, no real time to listen to demos properly or all those albums there waiting for our attention, this week we only have ears for the 65, normal service return next week (thats if we have such a thing as normal service).

ALBUM OF THE WEEK

65DAYSOFSTATIC The Destruction Of Small Ideas (Monotreme) Primer is the track that really takes our ears, Primer is ten tracks in to this much anticipated third album, Primer is the first track that really does grab us and takes us to new highs that we now rightly demand from 65Daysofstatic. Primer is the finest moment of their musical adventure thus far (I almost said career then, this is not a career, how crass of me, there are many career bands out there. 65 are not one of them). You see before Primer we were wondering if 65Days had painted themselves in to a little bit of a corner, things were sounding just a little familiar and very much like... well like 65Daysofstatic, almost comfortably so. And then White Peak/Dark Peak followed Primer with delicate spellbinding glory and a glowing classical warmth that leads us in to the clever challenge of The Conspiracy of Seeds. Were those vocals and violins just then? Real prog, real progression and what a fine way to close an album. And then you go back and wonder how earth Primer was the one to grab, it could have been any one of the first nine tracks, it was really the first notes of When We Were Younger. Sure, the 65days trademarks and fingerprints are all there, how could they not be this is a sound and a standard for others to aspire to now - but hey no. It may have looked like a corner that they had painted themselves in to but hey no no, look, look in to that corner and there whole new rooms that you didnt see first time, must have been a trick of the light. Opening track When We Were Younger is wonderful and the small ideas are really very big ideas and the only destruction was the destruction of the safe instant option that they could so easily have gone for. Sure now and again they hit some kind of 65Days auto pilot and just as you thinking ah they go and jerk and glitch you right out of it no, not jerk, they never jerk, they ease you out of it with a gentle kick, a glitch and a friendly bite and never in need of a scream well maybe a silent one, a quiet scream back there in the detail next to the birdsong and the electric crackle and the arc of percussion and the fragile piano and... I almost said sinister, but no, that would be wrong curious.* Curious like opening dusty boxes in an attic thats leaking golden sun through the cracks and finding all kinds of forgotten treasure. I was wrong, Primer isnt the stand out track, theres just this moment somewhere in the middle of it thats perfect - that moment just opens the door to such a euphoric rush and the silence at the end of it is for split second like the end of everything - you think there will be no more sound ever again until that reassuring piano note of White Peak and the unbelievable beauty of it all that note took an eternity to arrive when really it was a second. You know for a while back there I had almost tricked myself in to thinking I was growing a little bored with 65Daysofstatic, I foolishly thought that this would just be another album, these things you cant unlearn. No, I was wrong, the finest moment is really Lyonesse, oh look, all you need to know is that 65Daysofstatic have made another very very fine album, every bit as fine and rewarding and stimulating as the first two they never stop grabbing you, sometimes gently, sometimes demanding, every listen brings out another set of details and warm textures and oh look I'm losing all objectivity now and I dont want to write anymore about it, I just want to listen to it...

http://www.65daysofstatic.com

Tunnels deserves to be packed to the gunnels for this..........

The BBC said...

To describe a 65daysofstatic live show is an even harder task. Viciously euphoric, frenetic, overwhelming, bordering on chaos and really, really loud. It's what the band thrive on and how they win armies of new admirers every time they go out on the road. 65daysofstatic are stunning. Their dance-influenced, post-rock symphonies are epic statements of individuality, centering on tense build-ups and ecstatic releases.

...and Kerrang said

As far as burgeoning British bands go, right now it doesn't get any better than this.

so there you go...

The nicht.

Blinder ^_^

the reviews are starting to come in, from yesterday

Friday April 27, 2007

The Guardian

The Destruction of Small Ideas now

65DaysofStatic are perhaps the only band around to make Muse sound comparatively restrained. Utilising post rock and math rock (music with peculiar time-signatures), the Sheffield quartet's mostly instrumental music combines barrages of guitar with electronica, glitches, violins, live and sampled drums and presumably anything else they can find lying around. The thunderous Lyonesse even seems to include a painstakingly recorded cannon. There's so much going on that anyone would find passages to love. On Don't Go Down To Sorrow, a lovely contemplative piano evolves into mournful electronica with drums. The frenetic percussion is stunning throughout and the guitar interludes are often beautiful.........

Am I too late to attend this evening? Any tickets left?

hi k

the last we heard tickets were selling very well, however if you can't make 1up

to buy today, there will be an allocation on the door. i would suggest you come down

earlier rather than later to secure entry 8-)