aberdeen-music

Mumps

Sam 45

i wouldnt go by having the MMR jab as being safe.

when did you have the Jab and how many times?

I had it as a kid, but they only gave us one dose, then in 94 they gave everyone a second dose of MR but not mumps thinking you didnt need it.

Thats why everyone our age is getting mumps now.

You may have recieved a letter asking you to go get another dose in the last few years. If you did then you'll be fine....

Or if you are about 18 or younger then you probably got 2 doses as a baby so yes you'll be fine.

My year was pretty arse 'cos I had the jab in school and got MUMPED around Christmas time which totally wasn't cool. Just avoid any contact with your infected mates' saliva (from cups to ciggys) and you should be soundo.

Also, one of my mates went deaf through having it, and you can become infertile too, but that's only really among middle-aged men, so you're actually probably better catching it now! (on the upside you end up looking like desperate dan).

Guest Gasss

You can get mumps even if you've had the MMR. Some places have been giving a booster as there's been an resurgence of cases affecting people in their late-teens/early twenties. I caught mumps 2 years ago despite having it before and getting the MMR as a kid.

I think in general you become immune to it, but occasionally people can catch it twice.

Gasss is a doctor so I imagine he knows what he's talking about.

Wikipedia seems to agree:

Prognosis

Death is very unusual. The disease is self-limiting, and general outcome is good, even if other organs are involved. Sterility in men from involvement of the testes is very rare. After the illness, life-long immunity to mumps generally occurs. Mumps can be prevented by getting a vaccination.

Mumps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should be alright.

I'd still love to know how Oggy ended up with it, poor bastard. Inter-band smooching prehaps? :p

Mumps is a bitch, you should have got a letter about 2 years back if you're in higher education cause there was an outbreak and folk of a certain age (18-25ish) were at risk because the dose in the MMR vacine we got as kids wasn't enough. Unfortunately, people like me were too chicken shit to go get the booster jab and it's doing the rounds again. But yeah, you can only get it once.