aberdeen-music

Triptych 2007 - Aberdeen Line Up.

french_disko

Richard, all at imp & beyond are supporting the Aberdeen Triptych programme, as we have done since it started. if lots of people shoot down to Edin/Glas for choice events, not happening in Aberdeen, Aberdeen may be weakened in its future participation. Triptych DOES look at turn-out percentages & whilst we know there are always mutterings

about line ups, prices etc it is important that the Aberdeen event going public get behind the

home events. Anyhow i'm looking foreward towards events in all but one day of Triptych

Thats fair enough, but I'm not going to sit at home/go to something in Aberdeen that I don't want to, when there are artists in Glasgow that I'm genuinely excited about, rather than just passive about.

Glad i purchased my Cinematic Orchestra tickets. I've been waiting to see them for ages but not been in the right place at the right time. Also 12 for a ticket was pretty reasonable in my opinion. Can't wait for the 65DOS gig too. I actually really enjoyed them at the gig we played with them at Moshulu.

The sound admittedly wasn't great but it wasn't necessarily the venue, maybe if the in house guys had been able to do the sound rather than the bands sound guy it might have been a different story (i'm not getting into an arguement as to whether in-house over band sound guys are better before anyone starts as we all know that band sound guys generally know the bands sound bette, but not necessarily the venues gear). I'm not willing to believe that the Tunnels sound system offers anything to 65DOS's sound that Moshulu's didn't. Of course their sound guy (if its the same one) would have a better idea of the tunnels PA this time (as he would should they play Moshulu again) anyway so i'd expect him to not make a pigs ear out of it.

I'm sure the Tunnels is a better choice of venue size-wise but i've been to gigs in both the tunnels and moshulu where the sound has been shite, but i've also been to gigs in both were the sound has been good.

I don't think there are that many over priced gigs in Aberdeen either. The Jeniferever gig at the Tunnels in April is only 5 for god sake, that's definitely value for money :)

I'd welcome the chance to see 65daysofstatic for quite a bit over a tenner. Well worth it in my opinion, there's not many bands that I've never heard that much of before that have enthralled me as much as them at Castlegate/Tunnels/Moshulu/Wherever.

We can arrange a special higher price for you then if you want.

it's a shame it's all so expensive. i know they have to pay to get this caliber of artist over but 9 for 65 days and kling klang is quite expensive. maybe i'm just getting to be a skinflint in my old age.

I dare say a fair whack of that comes in the cost of all the advertising they do - those full colour, gloosy posters that they put up everywhere won't be cheap at all. Don't they also advertise on some billboards?

I dare say a fair whack of that comes in the cost of all the advertising they do - those full colour, gloosy posters that they put up everywhere won't be cheap at all. Don't they also advertise on some billboards?

Unless what happened with last year has changed, that doesn't come into it whatsoever.

I feel inclined to disagree with those people who say that Aberdeen's Triptych has got a much less interesting line-up than those in the central belt. As someone who felt that last year was a bit of a let-down, I was thrilled to see that the likes of Gruff Rhys, Espers, 65DOS and Damo Suzuki were all playing up here in the frozen north. The organisers should be applauded for securing such a great array of talent for us to enjoy.

I feel inclined to disagree with those people who say that Aberdeen's Triptych has got a much less interesting line-up than those in the central belt. As someone who felt that last year was a bit of a let-down, I was thrilled to see that the likes of Gruff Rhys, Espers, 65DOS and Damo Suzuki were all playing up here in the frozen north. The organisers should be applauded for securing such a great array of talent for us to enjoy.

Isn't that just a given fact, though? Seeing as the people you mentioned are playing in the central belt, in addition to loads more (Cat Power, Black Lips, James Chance, Field Music, etc).

Isn't that just a given fact, though? Seeing as the people you mentioned are playing in the central belt, in addition to loads more (Cat Power, Black Lips, James Chance, Field Music, etc).

I just think we should count our blessings, since the majority of good bands who bother to play in Scotland stop at Glasgow/Edinburgh and go no further north. Fair point, the artists I mentioned plus others will be playing down south during Triptych as well, but all the ones I'm interested in are playing up here, so I'm personally quite content with the arrangement.

Mind you, it would have been good to see Terry Riley performing "In C" without having to traipse down to Edinburgh.

I just think we should count our blessings, since the majority of good bands who bother to play in Scotland stop at Glasgow/Edinburgh and go no further north. Fair point, the artists I mentioned plus others will be playing down south during Triptych as well, but all the ones I'm interested in are playing up here, so I'm personally quite content with the arrangement.

Mind you, it would have been good to see Terry Riley performing "In C" without having to traipse down to Edinburgh.

What, are you kidding?! That'd be awesome to see, though I'll stick to his Aberdeen show, it'd be a pretty pricey night if I went to Edinburgh.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluesxman

I wouldn't mind seeing Cinematic Orchestra but since I'm limiting my gig attendance these days, it's going to be 65 Days Of Static/Kling Klang for me, got my ticket last week. Recently got round to buying CD's by each after meaning to for ages, looking forward to this greatly.

Wasn't fussed on Paper Cut Out when I saw them before but even discounting them, I think considering it in terms of 4.50 each for 65DOS and Kling Klang is a bargain - surely that would be a fair price to see each as headline act at individual gigs? With some of the other venue ticket charges these days I think anything below a tenner for reasonably well known acts is a fair price personally.