aberdeen-music

Music reviewing sites for unsigned bands?

black_matter

You said you sent a COUPLE of packs off with no reply! That isnt very hard work! You need to send out lots before you will start getting any feedback.

Also, correct me if im wrong, you havent played outwith Aberdeen before have you? If people properly havent heard of your band at all, they are less likely to take a chance on it.

Wasnt being a twat above, just saying it how it goes. Google is the best tool.

You said you sent a COUPLE of packs off with no reply! That isnt very hard work! You need to send out lots before you will start getting any feedback.

Also, correct me if im wrong, you havent played outwith Aberdeen before have you? If people properly havent heard of your band at all, they are less likely to take a chance on it.

Agreed, sending off a couple of packs is a bit rubbish. Have you tried some myspace-based zines? Have you made sure your biog isn't a bunch of shit? (The amount of shit press packs I've seen is ridiculous..).

Also, I think you'll find that people might be a little less than willing to divulge any good contacts they have on a messageboard - too much cooks?

I agree with the not playing out of town thing as well, think about the amount of bands in Aberdeen. Now multiply that by the amount of bands in the world, and maybe add a little more to counter bigger cities. Now imagine the truckloads of cd-r's journalists gets from bands they've never heard of, and the dismay on their face when they decide on whether to a)shove them into a corner until it builds up to breaking point, or b)just chuck them in the bin to avoid any congestion in their small and cramped office space. Its just a big waste of time if you haven't actually done anything apart from local gigs every other week.

You're first points valid. I have only sent roughly 20-30 to date.

However the second point is why im asking advice because as you say we have not played out of aberdeen, exactly my point in sending the demo packs aswell. The biog pretty much explains we'd like to play out of town gigs.

Third point taken well, I know you're not being a twat at all, it pretty much is the way it goes. I'll keep searching then!

However the second point is why im asking advice because as you say we have not played out of aberdeen, exactly my point in sending the demo packs aswell. The biog pretty much explains we'd like to play out of town gigs.

If thats the case then going down this route isn't so great, its not as if promoters are going to book you on the basis of "Hey! A website which gets 3 hits a day reviewed them!" etc...

The best way is definitely to get in touch with other bands and see if you can get onto a bill with them. Do a little research and see if there are any bands in Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, etc who your band have something in common with, and get in touch with them.

An ego stroke? not at all, just a review of our cd in the hope that some positive feedback will come back to advertise is all. I'm sure you wouldnt say no to positive feedback on your material.

Of course not, but I'm not sure I'd actually ask anyone to review it for me. I just pick up feedback as I go along, and rely on talking to people directly to get gigs as opposed to hoping they'll see a review on a website.

Don't believe for a minute my word's worth fuck all though... you've probably been doing this longer than I have :p

Guest Kilgore Trout
Does anyone know of any forums/sites that are good for giving unsigned local bands a cd review? I've sent a couple of packs off to some people with no reply unfortunately, so I was wondering if anyonek knew any websites or people to get in touch with.

Black matter are currently looking to get some of our music reviewed!

sorry, i just about shat myself laughing there.. but i realised yer band is BLACK MATTER, not as i misread "black atom"- the very idea, what does your band sound like? depending on genre (bar pub rock) there are loads of fanzines and online publications that could at the very worst give you something to tag on to promo posters and the like...

i'd make a list but i have no idea what you're band sounds like....

It'd be great to get some out of town gigs, although the age limit for us is a restriction definintly.

I suppose it can't hurt putting these press packs out anyway, the cost of them are near to nothing so it's all good either ways.

I played out of town shows before I was 18, its not really too much of a problem.

sorry, i just about shat myself laughing there.. but i realised yer band is BLACK MATTER, not as i misread "black atom"- the very idea, what does your band sound like? depending on genre (bar pub rock) there are loads of fanzines and online publications that could at the very worst give you something to tag on to promo posters and the like...

i'd make a list but i have no idea what you're band sounds like....

www.myspace.com/blackmatteraberdeen

have a gander ;)

out of town gigs before you are 18 is easy mate:

we played a one-off glasgow gig: 4 of us (at the time) 40 quid return train ticket for all of us. then stay at eurohostel. cheap as chips.

we are doing a minitour in april:

two cars. one driven by me, other by a mate. into two cars you can take 6 people and some equipment. organise to use house drumkits for the tour - sorted. sleep on mates floors/hostels.