aberdeen-music

bloc partys new album

Ollie

I thought it was a bit of a snoozefest. OK, they don't want to be the Arctic Monkeys and they want to define their own particular "mature" sound, but that's no excuse for making an album that makes Thom Yorke's recent solo effort sound like Chas and Dave's Greatest Hits.

Don't get me wrong, bleak albums (heh, "Bleak Party"...I just thought of that...I wonder if that's how they're known in South Africa?) can be good if done properly but a lot of this just sounds like whining for whining's sake. Gimme two more "Helicopters" and a "Banquet" on the next one please lads, for the dancefloor's sake.

has to be said thats put me off as 'helicopters' and 'banquet' were my two favourites from 'silent alarm'. difficult second album syndrome perhaps?

I like it, i thought that the single was good as it had a good 'feel' to it and on the whole it's a very solid album. I haven't bought it yet but when i get paid on Wed it's being bought.

And what do you mean no dancefloor classics Dave? People clearly aren't trying hard enough if they can't dance to 'The Prayer' or 'Hunting For Witches'!

:)

there are some great songs - ie. hunting for witches, the prayer , waithing for the 7.18 etc but i agree it can be a little dull at points (unlike the first album, where there was only one song i didn't love). still a really good album in my opinion, just a shame it trails of a bit nearer the end.

difficult second album syndrome perhaps?

No, not in the slightest. I believe the Arctic Monkey's second album will be instantly as much of a tea coaster within a few weeks as the first one whereas the new Bloc Party album will probably be talked about for it's depth and creativity when the hacks are choosing their albums of the year.

Oh and talk about bleak, the new Kaiser Chiefs album is so slow and has no oomph whatsoever.

"The Prayer" just doesn't grab the crowd in the way their previous singles did. The hooks are too understated to get a full-blown pelvic gyration en masse. I haven't given "Hunting For Witches" a spin at peak time yet, but I can just tell (using my finely honed DJ batsense) it isn't going to be a classic floorfiller. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm usually right.

Exodus crowds are just lazy then.

Just got the Kaiser Chief's new album today as well, haven't listened to it yet but initial reports are not good. Hardly anybody dances to "Ruby".

'Ruby' is shite. It's so slow and the "ahhhhhh ahhh ah ahhhhhhh" bit in the chorus really grips my shit too.

There is nothing on the new album that exudes the same sort of yob sensibility that they had on their first. Maybe that's a good thing though as it will no doubt mean that there won't be as many boozed up cunts singing along to poorly constructed and over hyped ball wash.

Can't understand the fuss about Bloc Party they have to be one of the worst bands around at the moment and everybody I've spoken think they are mince as well. Couldn't believe they managed to sell out the Music hall. Spoke to someone who was there and they said it was the worst gig they've been too, that didn't surprise me in the slightest.

Soulboy

Can't understand the fuss about Bloc Party they have to be one of the worst bands around at the moment and everybody I've spoken think they are mince as well. Couldn't believe they managed to sell out the Music hall. Spoke to someone who was there and they said it was the worst gig they've been too, that didn't surprise me in the slightest.

Soulboy

You find it weird that the one of the biggest bands in the UK managed to sell out the music hall? o_O

Musically it's much the same as the debut but which a few new tricks through in and some slightly more muscular riffing. Dave's right about them trying to sound more mature, in doing so they get a bit bland and milk delay pedals and vibrato playing too much. Kele has been going on about how the lyrics are more honest, but they are weaker for it. Lines like "I'm trying to be heroic in an age of modernity" and the one about all the kids at the mall looking the same are dire and make me shudder every time. The lyrics were more abstract on Silent Alarm, which although it might have obscured their meaning a bit sometimes, prevented them being painstakingly earnest. Also theme wise the lyrics say all the obvious things about so called modern Britain (although for an album supposedly about London the use of "mall" and "freeway" is ridiculous) and it certainly isn't anything Asian Dub Foundation didn't say better in 2001 on Enemy of the Enemy. Still it's an alright album all the same and the Prayer was a great single i think.

You find it weird that the one of the biggest bands in the UK managed to sell out the music hall? o_O

Yeah I do as I thought the loons and quines of Aberdeen had more taste, they are pure mince. As soon as anybody gets airplay on daytime radio 1 people follow like sheep. Thats why in a selfish way I hope radio 1 continue to ignore Milburn so that whenever they come to Aberdeen I can get a ticket but they are a million times better than Bloc Party. But as they say each to their own.

Soulboy

Yeah I do as I thought the loons and quines of Aberdeen had more taste, they are pure mince. As soon as anybody gets airplay on daytime radio 1 people follow like sheep. Thats why in a selfish way I hope radio 1 continue to ignore Milburn so that whenever they come to Aberdeen I can get a ticket but they are a million times better than Bloc Party. But as they say each to their own.

Soulboy

Hahaha. What a solid gold prat. Everybody should ignore Milburn because they are the blandest, most talentless piece of meat-n-potatos post-arctic monkeys lad rock around. Only Little Man Tate give them a run for their money. It was hilarious when Simon Amstell interviewed them on Popworld, the whole interview was focused on him, and quite rightly.

Hahaha. What a solid gold prat. Everybody should ignore Milburn because they are the blandest, most talentless piece of meat-n-potatos post-arctic monkeys lad rock around. Only Little Man Tate give them a run for their money. It was hilarious when Simon Amstell interviewed them on Popworld, the whole interview was focused on him, and quite rightly.

Shows how much you fucking know Milburn were around way before arctic monkeys just because arctic monkeys album was out before Milburns that means fuck all. Every fuckin interview Simon Amstell does is about himself he is the talentless one as he gets everybody else to write his material thats why he's ended up on Buzzcocks. Bloc Party = shite your fucking ears must be painted on if you like them. As I said you follow like sheep just coz they get on Radio 1. I'm glad you don't like Milburn . I won't have to stand next to some Bloc Party loving just coz everybody else loves them kiss ass when Milburn play Aberdeen in May

Soulboy

Shows how much you fucking know Milburn were around way before arctic monkeys just because arctic monkeys album was out before Milburns that means fuck all. Every fuckin interview Simon Amstell does is about himself he is the talentless one as he gets everybody else to write his material thats why he's ended up on Buzzcocks. Bloc Party = shite your fucking ears must be painted on if you like them. As I said you follow like sheep just coz they get on Radio 1. I'm glad you don't like Milburn . I won't have to stand next to some Bloc Party loving just coz everybody else loves them kiss ass when Milburn play Aberdeen in May

Soulboy

Who knew indie kids could get so angry?

Soulboy

Ahahahahahahahahaha :laughing:

Guest Kilgore Trout

which one is Bloc Party again? are they the Ride covers band with no tunes?

they do atmospheric tremby wristed fragile tat don't they?

i think i'm fairly sure they are pish....but i'll go and listen to it to make sure.

ah, wait i'm sure i saw them on tmf th day, they are sensitive an' all that, with a video of them walking around looking forlorn and intense, bridges, burst milk, camera's mounted on heads. lovely.

i'm still going to listen though, having hated the Kaiser chiefs first effort am loving the new one...

so

Oh dear, I just checked out Milburn aswell. They are incredibly shite and generic. At least Bloc Party are trying to establish their own sound by trying other things instead of sticking to a once effective but now overused formula.

So what if they are trying to have their own sound doesn't mean it's any good. As I said in earlier post each to their own there is no right or wrong in personal taste.

Soulboy

which one is Bloc Party again? are they the Ride covers band with no tunes?

they do atmospheric tremby wristed fragile tat don't they?

i think i'm fairly sure they are pish....but i'll go and listen to it to make sure.

ah, wait i'm sure i saw them on tmf th day, they are sensitive an' all that, with a video of them walking around looking forlorn and intense, bridges, burst milk, camera's mounted on heads. lovely.

i'm still going to listen though, having hated the Kaiser chiefs first effort am loving the new one...

so

god I hope they don't do Ride covers what an insult to Ride that would be a shite band like Bloc Party murdering a Ride tune god forbid.

Soulboy

So what if they are trying to have their own sound doesn't mean it's any good.

I didn't say it was. I only like half of the new album and the rest is pretty dull.

However, the point is that they seem to be one of the very few indie/NME-approved bands who are actually wanting to evolve musically instead of doing the same stuff that has been going on since Franz Ferdinand got massive, and it's only a matter of time till this phase dies out and tripe such as the Futureheads and the Kaiser Chiefs fuck off along with it.