Doors 8pm

Entry 7

Pit er Pat (Thrill Jockey)

are the Tortoise endorsed and produced, chicago-based trio of keyboardist

fay davis-jeffers, drummer butchy fuego and bassist rob doran. powerful

rhythms provide a solid floor for ethereal melodies and layers of textural

samples in their music. to those fortunate enough to have seen them, pit er

pat are a hugely compelling presence. fans compare various aspects of their

music to the raincoats, early soft machine, slap happy and blonde redhead.

the end result is a constant propelling of rhythm and melody steeped in

innumerable influences and emotions. like the hairy-who movement the band so

admires, pit er pat can be described as an expressive work of fantastic

adventure - compelling, arousing and mysterious.

Fulborn Teversham (Pickled Egg)

are the mindblowing new group of Seb Rochford, the xtraordinarily in-demand and prolific drummer/composer, leader of Mercury Music prize nominees Polar Bear, and winner of BBC Jazz award for Rising Star 2004. The line-up also includes Pete Wareham (Acoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear) on saxophone, Nick Ramm (Cinematic Orchestra, Clown Revisted) on keyboards, and vocalist Alice Grant (also with Leafcutter John). The group pursues a more eclectic, less overtly jazz direction than Polar Bear, incorporating elements of electronica, Henry Cow-style prog and post punk. With clever balancing of cosmic and acoustic sounds, Fulborn Teversham offer up an intimate and thrilling futuristic improvisational post-jazz, post-punk chamber music. Their debut album, 'Count Herbert II' is available now from Pickled Egg. *

Quack Quack is the newest and most essential band featuring neil turpin

(polaris/bilgepump/HiM/baby harp seal). theyre a three piece instrumental,

instrument-swapping band youll also no doubt have heard of in recent months

following a couple of much-talked-about-afterwards shows in good old

glasgow. the music of quack quack isnt easy to categorize, but take a

shared spirit of improvisation and a healthy disregard for well trodden

musical paths and youre moving in the right direction. like the great

rhythm sections of james brown, africa 70, can and led zeppelin, quack quack

operate right next to your heartbeat and your footsteps. they understand the

importance of rhythm and use it to get the good chemicals flowing. this is

music for dancing and smiling. Who will forget their amazing 1st visit to Aberdeen

a few weeks ago.

http://www.myspace.com/piterpat

http://www.myspace.com/fulbornteversham

http://www.myspace.com/thisisquackquack

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

• 3 weeks later...

quote from a live show

"As listeners, we begin to realize that it's one thing to pull off a stunning moment in the studio, but to be able to recreate it live is something else. Such is the magic Pit Er Pat brings to the stage, or that the stage brings to Pit Er Pat". -popmatters.com

here's a wee review for Fulborn Teversham from last month, just after they played their first few dates together:-

"Songwriting Polar Bear drummer Sebastian Rochford was rewarded for his brio in bringing together the prog-rock, roaming keyboards of Nick Ramm, the jagged jazz shards of Acoustic Ladyland saxophonist Peter Wareham and the startling voice of Alice Grant, who was by now standing and having much the same effect on the hairs on the neck. Alice could scream, exultant on Amazing and brittle on Empty Shell, but she could be soft and intimate too on Even If and Falling Down, a love song that made waiting for an email tantalisingly romantic. Another Rochford triumph, like his extraordinary hair"

pretty extraordinary, cross lots of music barriers

go listen to their myspace above

unrelated but fulborn teverham are two villages right next to each other on the outskirts of my home city cambridge, fulbourn is notorious in local parts for having a mental hospital. which leads me to conclude seb roachford must be from around that area...

unrelated but fulborn teverham are two villages right next to each other on the outskirts of my home city cambridge, fulbourn is notorious in local parts for having a mental hospital. which leads me to conclude seb roachford must be from around that area...

i'm sure i read somewhere that the name comes from a PUB in Norfolk, called

The Fulborn Teversham. Maybe its the craft beers make the locals go mental.............

A really great write up in todays Guardian

Fulborn Teversham, Count Herbert II

John Fordham Friday March 30, 2007

The Guardian Newspaper

****out of 5

Paul Morley rightly said of this new Seb Rochford band that it wasn't nu jazz, acid jazz, Jamie jazz or Parky jazz. But for all its wilful, rough-skinned unorthodoxy, it has a jazz soul. Inspired Polar Bear and Acoustic Ladyland drummer Rochford's most eclectic venture features abrasive, punky singer Alice Grant, keyboardist Nick Ramm, and plenty of blasting (and sometimes unexpectedly tender) tenor sax from Acoustic Ladyland's Pete Wareham. Grant sometimes sounds like a punk singer playing the Artful Dodger, sometimes like Robert Wyatt at his most hauntingly dirgey. The title track moves from crypt music to dark, funky electronica. Some of the material sounds like music boxes tinkling away with eerie birdsong outside, some of it stomps along with Ladyland-like sax solos. But the sparing ballads Even If and The Time That Went Away are tinglingly lyrical. At times, Count Herbert II suggests a kind of downbeat British Mothers of Invention. Rochford and his F-ire Collective partners are that original.

Quack Quack were band of the night for me, Teversham just behind and Pit Er Pat took until the last two or three songs to truly win me over. Liked Quack Quack last time they played, but was really impressed this time - I think the context of the evening was more in their favour this time around and their energy from the word 'go' was infectious. Magic way to start a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

• 2 years later...

I can find no records of a pub called "Fulborn Teversham" in Norfolk - but Fulbourn and Teversham are two adjacent villages just outside of Cambridge. Fulbourn did house a large psychiatric hospital, but over the last ten years various cutbacks to hospital and day care services have seen it reduced to about four wards and the main building has been sold off. It is now a business park called "Capital Park".