aberdeen-music

Final Fantasy XII

The Kernel Loaf

edit : Is FFXII linear like FFX then?

Far from it. FFXII has a huge, huge world to explore. In comparison, the entire Calm Lands from X is equivalent to some of the single parts of an area, probably about 1/8th of some locations. The storyline (with any Final Fantasy) is pretty linear, but it takes so incredibly long to get to some places because the game is just so massive.

Below is a destription on what you have to travel through in order to get to Archadia:

From Rabanastre, you have to go through the Estersand (desert), then the Mosphoran Highwaste (mountain range), then the Salikawood (beautiful forest), then the Phon Coast (basically a huge beach with cliffs), then the Tchita Uplands (hill/cliff range), then the Sochen Cave Palace (underground tomb that connects to Archadia), then Old Archadia (where all the poor and bankrupt Archadians live due to failure in making it in the city), and then you finally get to Archadia.

Incase you don't want to read, that is 7 areas.

I didn't want to complete it until I'd finished all the sidequests/got all the espers etc., but I finally gave in.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the game, but it was missing some essential FF ingredients, such as a good love storyline and death of a central character!

The espers were sadly below par and hardly even worth getting.

There aren't nearly as many sidequests as X (which I still haven't finished with- still to beat Penance), but I quite like the licence board system. It's not quite as good as the FFVII materia system, but it's a damn sight better than the junctioning in VIII and the sphere grids on X.

Also, there's no minigame (unless you count the hunting, which I don't) like the cardgames of VIII & IX and Blitzball in X.

I still have quite a few things to do and I'm not even close to having any of my characters hit a 9999 (despite being at Lvl 73)

I have just completed Kingdom Hearts 2 and would like to start playing the FF games. Which is the best to start with?

Just don't make the mistake I did and start with VIII.

There's so many concepts to get your head round when you first start FF games that the junctioning system just makes it damn confusing.

I'd say VII, IX or X.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm glad I found this link. I was just thinking that I should start one if no one else had already.

I've been playing this game all day today. I'm fried. It's a good game indeed. Infact final fantasies are the only games I really play. I do find that the story line is a lot less gripping than the others. And it's missing a lot of things that made, for me, the games the best ever. Throughout the FF games I'm always disappointed to see the lack of chocobo racing/ breeding. they tried it in X but you can't beat the FF VII for it. IX was good for it.

I'm going to stop summing my cons and just say it is my least favour FF game but a damn sight better than most of the other games I have played recently. Final fantasy still rocks!