aberdeen-music

What do you write songs about?

sye

Im really interested in where people get their inspiration. Im so fed up of writing the same old bollocks about women and the usual crap.

I think Claudio Sanchezs concept is fucking awesome and it has inspired me to write my lyrics from a completely different angle.

(Coheed and Cambria is not only the name of their band but it is also the name of the two main characters in a science-fiction/fantasy world that Claudio created Btw, does anyone when the graphic novels are coming out?)

So what do you write songs about?

Can anyone give me some examples of other interesting concepts?

Why not write a song about how sick and tired you are of all the songs about women? You could call it, "No more old bollocks about women and the usual crap". Watch out though, with an essay of a song title like that, MMW might nick it.

Another thing you might want to try is writing about Vikings, Goblins and magical swords - hair-metal style. You know, keepin it real n' all. Another idea is to take a magazine, put it in a shredder, pick up 30 random pieces and make a song out of the bits. But only if you can make it sound profound n shit. It's no use using a cookery magazine and singing "two whole egg whites, simmer gently, seive until fine". Disaffected youths won't dig that shit. Try using a current affairs magazine mixed in with SFX and confuse a generation. Take drugs too.

If all else fails you could write a song about women and the usual crap.

P.S. I hate when people mix Sci-Fi/Fantasty. 9/10 it sucks.

Guest sludge
Originally posted by sye:

Thanks man... :p

What are your lyrics about?

i refuse to show you mine on the grounds that you will think they are shite. but dont you worry. ill be writing about getting dumped as soon as i go through the motions with a new girlfriend.

Originally posted by Leckie Gilman:

kev you should write about our adventures in modern studies with our wifebeating teacher with the ginger bowl-cut.

I don't think people who arn't in our modernclass would get he adventures, there too scary. Like if Ash was in our class he would break down and cry.;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

Guest Scott 5FD

i write about observations i make in day-to-day life. i wrote a song about working at Spar on the back of till receipts about how customers must perceive the person serving them. it turned out pretty good.

the last song i wrote was about how much i love music. most of my lyrics end up shite though, i once did a song in tribute to quincy. it was a grand statement indeed. *sigh*

i like send more paramedics, all their songs are about zomibes. every single damned one of them. it's amazing. and that band that did 'destroy the orcs' whose name i forget. sound like maiden. bloody brilliant. nope it's gone. the other song they did was 'ride darkhorse ride'. they all used to be in hardcore bands, anyone? anyone? bueller?

lyric writers i admire are: nick cave, jason molina, will oldham, guy piccioto, stephen malkmus(warped genius), and jeff buckley. also anyone who can write a brilliant pop hook without it sounding cheesy like andre "ice cold" 3000.

none of my lyrics are as good as any of these ones. ho hum.

bands in aberdeen who i think have good lyrics:

eric euan, maple, politik, x-certs, sidca and dedalus(i don't write em so it's not just me bigging up my own band).

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by daveofficer:

i like send more paramedics, all their songs are about zomibes

i think their awesome too, got two of their songs on an In At The Deep-End sampler. is their CD available in One-Up?

I have written songs about Overdosing sit-com stars (Get Down-deliver the funk), folk who are up themselves (Everybody Hates you, so why do you love yourself so much), New York City (Concrete skies), myself (The General), ex's (Reason:Unreachable) and the darkside of life (The Consistency of Darkness, Dying, Spanish Amputee).

Favourite lyric writers are Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, Ginger and Maynard. I've always wanted to write a song about my favourite Horror movies, will get round to it one day.

i woulda mentioned halcion daze if youse were still going greig, though i do like monday mourning. need to come and see your lot playing again soon.

scott, the send more paramedics album should be in stock just now, if it's not we can certainly order it. first one is worth checking out too.

Flicking through my lyric books, a selection....

*Being dumped

*Obsessional Lust

*Primo Carnera (World Heavyweight boxing champion in 1930s who was found to have had all his fights fixed by the mafia and Italian fascist heavies. After the war went to the USA to become wrestler and filmstar)

*Feeling trapped in a relationship formed on large amounts of LSD with a girl who works in a bank in Bristol

*Man who becomes the most famous man in France after being abducted by aliens

*Girl feeling suicidal at 17th birthday party but ends up scratching her thighs with a compass instead

*Sex

*Having no money but living like a 50s filmstar

*Obsessional Lust

*A man who steals 30 000 library books

*Wife-swapping and inbreeding in rural areas

*Posh blokes who pretend to be poor and manky

*The wierd 2000s revival of the 1950s revival in the 1980s

*Being dumped

*Synaesthesia

*The word 'NOT'

*Obsessional Lust

*A popstar Scrabble league

*A religious cult formed by a man who thinks his tailor is God

*Robert Rietti, celebrated voice-over artist who redubbed all the male voices in 'Gregory's Girl' when they were thought by the studio to be intelligible to those outside Scotland

*Sex

*The film 'Inside Daisy Clover', starring Natalie Wood

*Oral sex performed by schoolboys

*Freudian symbolism

*Obsessional Lust

*Sex