aberdeen-music

Big Muff question???

citizens_X

I was thinking about getting a big muff pedal, should I get the USA Big Muff Pi Distortion/ Sustainer or the Little Big Muff?

Anyone here have experience with the Little Big Muff? Soundwise is it any different than the regular USA version? I know that it is smaller but is that the only difference?

The Little Big Muff is about 10.00 dollars cheaper.

Will this sound better than My Boss DS-1?

I appreciate Your help.:up:

I've found it difficult to compare different models of Big Muff because inconsistent manufacturing means that there is a lot of variation in sound between units of the same model. The best bet would just be to try a bunch of them and pick the best one. At least the LBMs have a proper diecast case and not the glorified tinfoil of the USA model.

EHX have been improving the Big Muffs pretty steadily over the years, so some older ones are missing true bypass and so on that the newer ones do have. Manufacturing and the circuits have also varied depending on what parts have been available and what model you are looking at exactly, so therre is some variation in Muff sound throughout the years (though all still sound like a Big Muff should)

The LBM is a fantastic pedal though, a nice solid diecast enclosure, with true bypass, so no affecting the tone when it is off, and an led which is always handy.

Soundwise it is definately a Big Muff, the various models do sound slightly different, and the LBM is reportedly inbetween the Russian and US models soundwise.

If you are looking at a Big Muff, the LBM seems a solid choice, I am definately most happy with mine, some genuine improvements over the 'traditional' US model (the LBM being made in the US too) like the casing to toughen it up a bit.

A completely different pedal from a DS1 though, and 'better' is a completely subjective term, both pedals having their place, if you aren't completely sure, it probably would be worth trying one out, as it is a fuzz rather than the DS1's distortion

The ZVex is a great pedal, but a different animal to the Muff, a lot more chaotic and noisey, and has a huge range of sound you can get from it, but in that a lot more fiddley to use and setup (a tweakers dream) the Big Muff on the other hand does a 'standard' Fuzz brilliantly. I have both and they both have their place

David

I had an extended email discussion with an EHX representative a couple of years ago after he took offence to comments I made about their build quality on Harmony-Central.com. He eventually admitted that all his own EHX pedals had been modified for extra reliability.

Nice sounds though.

Also, put three Sovtek Big Muffs side by side and tell me they all sound the same.

Guest nature_1

to date your pedal; you look under the pots, there should be a timestamp.

the LBM is true bypass; and sounds better than the original bigmuff i think. Still not sure if i'd class it as a true fuzz though; the sovtek BM is probably a true fuzz.

I had an extended email discussion with an EHX representative a couple of years ago after he took offence to comments I made about their build quality on Harmony-Central.com. He eventually admitted that all his own EHX pedals had been modified for extra reliability.

Nice sounds though.

Also, put three Sovtek Big Muffs side by side and tell me they all sound the same.

Mike Davis (if I have the name right) by any chance?

I would say most of the newest muffs should be very similar, as technology and qc has moved on a long way since the early Fuzz Faces and the rather hit and miss construction. The LBM in particular will be very consistent - the circuit is all SMD parts, so should be identically specced. The other new ones should all be pretty good now too though, as modern parts are all made to decent tolerances.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...