aberdeen-music

Photography Petition

RF Scott

There are a number of moves promoting the requirement of 'ID' cards to allow photographers to operate in a public place.

It is a fundamental right of a UK citizen to use a camera in a public place, indeed there is no right to privacy when in a public place.

These moves have developed from paranoia and only promote suspicion towards genuine people following their hobby or profession.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop proposed restrictions regarding photography in public places.

Even with or without a petition, I can't see the idea of banning public photography becoming reality. I've seen this spouted all over myspace for the last few days, and to be fair, half the folk who have signed it have just signed it 'cos their friends did it, without even putting any political thought into it.

To begin with, how the hell would you police such a daft piece of legislation? I'm not signing it because it's a waste of my time. Not that I'm for this ban, but it's never going to happen anyway.

It is a daft piece of legislation, though more insane things have happened. Its not really a waste of time, if such disapproval is apparent at such an early stage it'd inevitably be harder to progress with. In theory.

Anyway, talking about wasting time on a messageboard is a little silly.

EDIT: It should probably be noted that there are no concrete proposals in place, reasons for this petition can be found at

Petition Information

To begin with, how the hell would you police such a daft piece of legislation?

There are countries where taking a few snaps in public can result in your film being seized, or arrest. It's a trivial issue to police given that all you have to do is look for someone holding a camera.

I don't see any reason to change the law in this country. The paranoia about camera phones and videoing school plays or swimmingpools etc is laughable as it is. Who fucking cares if a paedophile has a wank over a video of your kid dressed up as jesus at the christmas play? In 10 years time your kid is probably going to be sucking cocks and taking it up the arse anyway.

There are a number of moves promoting the requirement of 'ID' cards to allow photographers to operate in a public place.

What exactly are these moves? Can anyone put-up a reputable link? Apart from the odd untested & probably unenforcable byelaw, I seem to have missed this altogether.

The only other petition on a similar issue I've seen recently involved a story that was also very compelling but difficult to verify.

What exactly are these moves? Can anyone put-up a reputable link? Apart from the odd untested & probably unenforcable byelaw, I seem to have missed this altogether.

The only other petition on a similar issue I've seen recently involved a story that was also very compelling but difficult to verify.

If you follow the links on the petition info link above you'll see that it all seems to be a bit of a pre-emptive strike. I don't think anyone could seriously contemplate outlawing public photography, you'd have to ban mobile phones as well.

It appears that it's more of a protest against individuals who are attempting to stop photography in public places without reason, rather than dodgy Labour legislation. In a way, it's surprising that Labour haven't proposed such nonsense, but it's not worth signing. The story is a bit vague too - and seems to be more of the "a friend of a friend of a friend told me that blah blah blah" variety than of any serious concern, like the ID card issue. I suspect that the "ID CARD NEEDED TO PHOTOGRAPH!!!" is also the work of a committed anti-ID protester who's found a way to arouse people's feelings about it, rather than being genuine.

I notice he's said "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop proposed restrictions regarding photography in public places." in the petition, then said "there is no current legislation being made". Even the Home Office have said that they aren't aware of any proposed restrictions, so really, the guy needs to get his facts sorted out.

It's utter fucking bollocks! For fucks sake. Why do people believe every little bit of garbage that gets forwarded to them on the internet? The petition has been setup by a nobody about nothing. There is no bill being debated or being passed, no law is going to be set up and no law along these lines would be feasible. What are they going to do? Arrest every tourist?

A simple web search will tell you it's garbage (look for the professional photography forums dismissing it out of hand).

Anyone can go onto that website and set up a petition. It doesn't make it any more valid or important than any other free petition website just because it's hosted by the government.

If something is forwarded to you on the internet then the chances are it's a fucking lie. Just like this.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
It's utter fucking bollocks! For fucks sake. Why do people believe every little bit of garbage that gets forwarded to them on the internet? The petition has been setup by a nobody about nothing. There is no bill being debated or being passed, no law is going to be set up and no law along these lines would be feasible. What are they going to do? Arrest every tourist?

A simple web search will tell you it's garbage (look for the professional photography forums dismissing it out of hand).

Anyone can go onto that website and set up a petition. It doesn't make it any more valid or important than any other free petition website just because it's hosted by the government.

If something is forwarded to you on the internet then the chances are it's a fucking lie. Just like this.

What's really terrifying is that MSN's gonna start deleting Hotmail accounts unless people can prove that they're using them enough. I forwarded the warning to as many people as possible, just so they know that I'm not some sort of slacker when it comes to checking my emails :up:

it's still worth being concerned about it though as it is getting a lot harder to take pictures in public these days. it probably is just a matter of time before something like this is suggested, particularly as many members of the public already believe they have the right to sue if you take their photo. i wouldn't dare take pictures of children without their parents permission for instance. it's just not worth the hassle.

like the ID card issue. I suspect that the "ID CARD NEEDED TO PHOTOGRAPH!!!" is also the work of a committed anti-ID protester who's found a way to arouse people's feelings about it, rather than being genuine.

Yes, that is just about how I saw it.

However I do share some concern about how any self-appointed busybody or overenthusiastic security person seems to feel they have some right in my photography.

I usually manage to walk away with my photos tho & hopefully re-educate them without being too rude! :)

Yes, that is just about how I saw it.

However I do share some concern about how any self-appointed busybody or overenthusiastic security person seems to feel they have some right in my photography.

Yeah, I share that concern too. It would seem to make more sense to petition Tony Blair into drafting a law to explicitly allow photography - but then again, that's likely contary to their controlling tendancies and therefore can't happen.

Has anyone actually ever been threatened with being sued for taking photographs?