aberdeen-music

Everything You Wanted To Know About The Moorings Bar

Flash@TMB

The Moorings Bar is Aberdeen's original alternative venue dating back to the mid 1960s in it's current form. It's famous for an extensive range of high quality alcohol from around the world, and has a reputation for keeping it all in good condition... unfortunately the same does not apply to the punters. There is a 10% student discount on ALL drinks, ALL day, EVERY day (we were students once too).

Want to see what the bar looks like?

The Moorings Bar - Galleries

1050front2.jpg

1050stage2a.jpg

...and you thought it would be 15 drunk Russian sailors chatting up an ageing hooker, while a junkie lurks in a shadowy corner with a needle hanging out of it's arm, and some old git plays 'Amazing Grace' on the accordian. Heh heh... WRONG!

Saturday we have live bands with the emphasis on original material.

:band:

Look here for current details:

aberdeen-music

Admission varies. 18 years and over welcome.

Wednesdays - alt.karaoke from 8pm - late

Hosted by The Right Reverend Lucifer and Colonel Lingus.

FREE admission, 18 years and over welcome.

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday we have Jukebox & Alcohol - a unique themed night NOT available elsewhere

This consists of drinking really good alcohol while the jukebox plays your favourite tunes through an incredibly good sound system. Feel free to dance if you're up to it.

So if you're sick :puke: of pub quizes, stand up comedy, karaoke, BIG SCREEN sport, speed dating, RPG, DJs, need a break from live music, or just want a decent drink, then this should be right up your street :cheers:

BE WARNED... we also screen a movies on Sunday afternoons, just to get a break from the jukebox, though life in the bar otherwise continues as normal.

If you like to sample the good shit then check out this link:

Wednesday Special Promotions - aberdeen-music

Fridays...

1st Friday each month

-------------------------

The Wreckin' Ball with DJ Cee Jay from 8pm - 1am.

The focus is on metal, goth, and punk. In roughly that order.

Admission Free.

2nd Friday each month

--------------------------

RELEASE YOUR KRAKEN with B and C Fudge from 8pm - 1am.

They play anything they like, country, punk, rock, metal, dance, (good) funk, anything really...

Admission Free.

3rd Friday each month

Supernaut with DJ Jaymz Elizium from 8pm -1am

Trad goth, new romantic, electronica, industrial, and metal. Seriously!

Admission Free.

Please note a happy hour preceeds this from 5pm - 8pm so no need to get wrecked at home!

4th Friday each month

Bjorn Lippy with DJ Wooly Jooly from 8pm -1am

Punk, ska, funk, and disco! (plus a light sprinkling of rock 'n roll from Flash).

Admission Free.

5th Friday each month (when it occurs approx 4x per year)

The Double Deuce with DJ Flash and special guests from 8pm - 1am.

Rock 'n roll, disco, and fuck knows what else. Abba anyone?

Admission Free.

Phew!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Scott 5FD

if the Five Finger Discount lads were to go to the open mic night, would we be able to try out our songs?

we kinda lack any kind of stage experience, me especially, so to get abit of a feel for it before July 22nd (at Drakes with The No Pints, Pocket Billiards, The Dangerfields and W.O.R.M) would be good.

Sure

if the Five Finger Discount lads were to go to the open mic night' date=' would we be able to try out our songs?

we kinda lack any kind of stage experience, me especially, so to get abit of a feel for it before July 22nd (at Drakes with The No Pints, Pocket Billiards, The Dangerfields and W.O.R.M) would be good.[/quote']

Some bands are already using the Open Mic Night as a sort of final rehersal room. Bearing in mind that it's a jam, so most things performed there have a few err rough edges anyway there is no problem with rehearsing stuff. What you can't really do though it reiterate the same tune over and over...

Thinking about it, the bar is almost the ideal rehersal room for final pre-gig practice:

A) Your on a stage in front of a small number of people that haven't paid to get in and don't give a shit if you screw up.

B) There is access to cheap drink (jammers drink at cost price)

C) You get a good sound, and a free sound engineer.

D) There's no charge.

I guess the only bad news is that with only 6 hours a week it may get a little crowded as these concepts start to register in the minds of every band and there dog...

So yes - go for it!

Guest The Tourist
ok cool' date=' i think we're going to try get down two weeks today.

how much songs would be allowed to play?[/quote']

As many as you can before the crowds start rebelling and demand the Harry Dalgarnos!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a bit gutted that I'm missing SAZ play in the Moorings tonight as I thought they were fantastic last time they were up. (I'm offshore again.)

I would console myself by playing some of their tracks on my MP3 player but I left it at home as I'm crap at packing my offshore bag. I'm sure Lisa will be up dancing about anyway.... especially around 10 ish, when the Cider and Jagers kick in.

Carl.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great Photo's

Great Photo's Flash of the old Moorings Bar, making me a little homesick looking at them for Canada has nothing like that. Timmins where I live now is not even 100 years old yet... But the Moorings has been serving since the 1600's and that is a long long time back in the days of Sail when the Ships were made of Wood and the Men of Iron.... Oh err.

I do not miss the Offshore Oil in the North Sea one bit and are much better off back sailing deep sea with the BP Tanker Fleet. If anyone can remember when the Moorings had a Pinball machine, I was the Guy who owned and serviced it. Also had machines sited in Back Wynd, Fithy McNasties and the Northern Hotel in Aberdeen in addtion to the Butchers Arms in Inverurie.. Ah those were the days.

I may find an excuse to get back to Aberdeen one day soon and shock the heck out of you all by calling in past for a pint of decent Beer. The Beer in Canada is all Lager and total CRAP with 2 major brewers messing everything up big time (Molison and Labatt)

Did get a week in Glasgow last November but sadly was on standby for a gig in Egypt and did not get to come to Aberdeen that trip.

We have a great live music scene here though, as you would expect for a country who have exported so many major pop and rock stars... Where I live produced Shania Twain and quite a few major hockey players and Niel Young played here way back when.

I used to play the Old Royal Hotel in Bath Street back in 1970 to 1973 as well as the Lunar 7 Bar - Shiprow and other dives back then along with former Northsound Radio DJ Bruce Kennedy and Fegus Watt of Purple Helix Discos (Sadly both now have passed away) under the TW Discotheque banner and still DJ to this very day playing an oldies based Video and Karaoke show in Gibby's Tavern here in Timmins at the Weekends.

I use OtsDJ software, one of the best in the World go here for the demo OtsDJ: DJ software and TV / radio automation - Video, CD+G, MP3 mixing and be amazed!!!

In 1970 the Royal Hotel was Aberdeens very first youth targeted Discotheque Venue and we packed the house 7 days a week. You had to move about a bit then or your feet stuck to the chewing gum covered carpet.

The 'best' show I was supposed to have done was one hot summers night when I had the bay widows wide open, rocking back and forward on the Beer crate stage, the rear legs of my chair went clean through the Beer boxes and propelled me out of the Bar into Bath Street.

I was still connected to the Discotheque by my headphone lead, and a half second later the decks landed on top of me to huge cheers of again, again... more... You get the Picture I am sure. The show went on, the only damage apart from my feelings were the headphones, who did not survive that night.

CORRECTION!

Fridays...

2nd Friday each month

Crashbreaker with DJs Psydoll and Screaming Zombie Hell from 8pm -1am

Broad spectrum alt.rock night slanted towards newer bands, punk, and hardcore.

Also incorporating a premier local band from 9pm - 10pm.

Admission Free.

Please note a happy hour preceeds this from 5pm - 8pm so no need to get wrecked at home!

Phew!

2nd FRIDAY EVERY MONTH

RELEASE YOUR KRAKEN with B and C Fudge from 8pm - 1am.

we'll play anything we like, country, punk, rock, metal, dance, (good) funk, anything really...

admission free!

• 1 year later...