aberdeen-music

Favourite Compilation CD?

Old Gold

What's the most memorable complimation cd you've ever bought/been given? Would you even pay for one, and do they deserve a place in your cd collection, or just get chucked on a seperate pile?

The best comp I got for free was the One-in-Four cd, made to promote mental health issues in Scotland. Packed with great Scottish bands: Mogwai, Multiplies, Uncle John and Whitelock, Teenage Fanclub and loads more. The songs themselves were all quite dark, which suited the theme of the collection. The digipack it came in had a built in booklet full of some really accessable information on mental health problems, and stuff about the artists involved.

Best I shelled out for was recently was Anti-Folk volume 1. Dufus, Lach, Jeffrey Lewis etc. Can't go wrong for a tenner really.

I suppose I really like compliations, although I definately prefer it when the style is more focused, and the musicians involved have something more in common than just the place they come from.

one of the best compilations i ever got me grubby hands on was given away with a fanzine back in 93 or 94 - best track on it was the des lynam all stars - i wish i had hair just like trevor sinclair. whatever did happen to them, thought they were destined for superstardom!!! it was all lo fi indie bands from the london area. still got it somewhere in the archives.

My favourite compilation CDs are those that I make myself. My current one contains the following:

Slayer - Flesh Storm

Kataklysm - In Shadows And Dust

Cannibal Corpse - Make Them Suffer

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

Decapitated - Day 69

Devil Driver - Bear Witness Unto

Element 106 - Hate Event

Lamb Of God - Redneck

Strapping Young Lad - Shitstorm

Machine Head - Blood For Blood

Brutal Truth - H.O.P.E.

Element 106 - Becoming The Victim

Lamb Of God - Bloodletting

Scar Symmetry - Detach From The Outcome

Slayer - Dittohead

First Blood - Conspiracy

Pantera - Suicide Note Pt. II

:up:

My favourite compilation CDs are those that I make myself. My current one contains the following:

Slayer - Flesh Storm

Kataklysm - In Shadows And Dust

Cannibal Corpse - Make Them Suffer

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill

Decapitated - Day 69

Devil Driver - Bear Witness Unto

Element 106 - Hate Event

Lamb Of God - Redneck

Strapping Young Lad - Shitstorm

Machine Head - Blood For Blood

Brutal Truth - H.O.P.E.

Element 106 - Becoming The Victim

Lamb Of God - Bloodletting

Scar Symmetry - Detach From The Outcome

Slayer - Dittohead

First Blood - Conspiracy

Pantera - Suicide Note Pt. II

:up:

that sounds like the kind of compilation all the family can sing along to :up:

that sounds like the kind of compilation all the family can sing along to :up:

you could imagine that being advertised inbetween "sounds of the 50's 60's and 70s", "all time greatest power ballads" and "motown's greatest hits" on the shopping channels. "Pay by credit card and receive a free skull candle holder"........

I buy Uncut every month for the compilations, there's always some band I get turned onto through that. I particularly enjoy "Uncut: Thunder Road, Volume 1" - variety of artists covering Springsteen rather well, including the Band's "Atlantic City".

Man, that's one thing i can't grasp... the ol' 'Tribute Compliation'. How do those help anybody's career?

Largely shite I agree but I suppose it's more about paying homage to the artist than helping anyone's career. You get the odd gem. I made the error of buying "tower of Song" for 8. People murdering the songs of Leonard Cohen o_O

Largely shite I agree but I suppose it's more about paying homage to the artist than helping anyone's career. You get the odd gem. I made the error of buying "tower of Song" for 8. People murdering the songs of Leonard Cohen o_O

I suppose you're right. I just can't get around a childhood of hearing a bundle of no-name thrash bands covering Metallica and Megadeth songs to the letter everytime a mate gave a tribute album a spin.

Saying all that, I dug out 'Chet Atkin's picks on the Beatles' and that's pretty fine... so we'll just stick to blackballing collections made up of musicians who are pissed off because someone else got to do 'Hallelujah'!

I suppose you're right. I just can't get around a childhood of hearing a bundle of no-name thrash bands covering Metallica and Megadeth songs to the letter everytime a mate gave a tribute album a spin.

No point doing a cover if you're not doing your own take on it. That is just shite!

Saying all that, I dug out 'Chet Atkin's picks on the Beatles' and that's pretty fine... so we'll just stick to blackballing collections made up of musicians who are pissed off because someone else got to do 'Hallelujah'!

I beleive Bono was given the honour on that one! :puke:

Oh God, Peter Gabriel, Sting and Elton John were on there too....

Tori Amos and Willie Nelson's offerings were not bad actually. I still feel sick though.

This one:

various-upinflames_large.gif

1. Intro: Welcome to the Inferno

2. Powderhead - Backyard Babies

3. You Smell Canadian - Super$hit 666

4. Oily Rag - Groop Dogdrill

5. Creepy Jackalope Eye - Supersuckers

6. Venus in Force - The Hellacopters

7. Don't Pull My Strings - The Nomads

8. 18 Wheels - Murder City Devils

9. My Love Is the Devil - The A-Bombs

10. Doug McClure - V-8 Pack

11. Get the Horn - Gluecifer

12. Swampfoot - Jesus Chrysler

13. Smack City - Dwarves

14. Buzz On - Space Age Playboys

15. Death Notice - The Independents

16. Head Over Heels - The Yo-Yo's

17. Pink Skab - Rachel Stamp

18. Fucked from the Start - The Black Halos

19. Deuce - Toilet Boys

20. Pig Fucker - Speedealer

21. Motorvate - Ginger

This one:

various-upinflames_large.gif

1. Intro: Welcome to the Inferno

2. Powderhead - Backyard Babies

3. You Smell Canadian - Super$hit 666

4. Oily Rag - Groop Dogdrill

5. Creepy Jackalope Eye - Supersuckers

6. Venus in Force - The Hellacopters

7. Don't Pull My Strings - The Nomads

8. 18 Wheels - Murder City Devils

9. My Love Is the Devil - The A-Bombs

10. Doug McClure - V-8 Pack

11. Get the Horn - Gluecifer

12. Swampfoot - Jesus Chrysler

13. Smack City - Dwarves

14. Buzz On - Space Age Playboys

15. Death Notice - The Independents

16. Head Over Heels - The Yo-Yo's

17. Pink Skab - Rachel Stamp

18. Fucked from the Start - The Black Halos

19. Deuce - Toilet Boys

20. Pig Fucker - Speedealer

21. Motorvate - Ginger

more songs for the family to sing along to!!!

What's the most memorable complimation cd you've ever bought/been given? Would you even pay for one, and do they deserve a place in your cd collection, or just get chucked on a seperate pile?

The best comp I got for free was the One-in-Four cd, made to promote mental health issues in Scotland. Packed with great Scottish bands: Mogwai, Multiplies, Uncle John and Whitelock, Teenage Fanclub and loads more. The songs themselves were all quite dark, which suited the theme of the collection. The digipack it came in had a built in booklet full of some really accessable information on mental health problems, and stuff about the artists involved.

eska - hypnotism act 1979 TTTTUUUUUUUNNNNEEEE!

macrocosmica - reject amplified

park attack

arab strap

mouse eat mouse (were they on this?)

Anarcho punk CD series. In four parts with tracks (many previously unreleased) from Zounds, Amebix, Poison Girls, Antisect, DIRT, The Mob, Rubella Ballet, The System, Toxic Waste, Crass, Icons Of Filth, Conflict, Subhumans, The Apostles, Chumbwamba, and more. For more information visit www.myspace.com/anarchopunkcdseries

Nuggets is my personal favourite compilation. Great garage sounds of the sixties. Every track is fantastic. Amazon.co.uk: Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968: Music: Various Artists check it here.

I also just purchased Rough Trade Counter Culture '76 which is filled with classics from The Upsetters, Blondie, The Ramones, Tom Waits, Ivor Cutlet and Bootsy Collins. Classic.

I agree about Nuggets....I've got that on vinyl. If we're allowed lps I'd go for the Harvest sampler, 'Picnic'.

Recently I enjoyed a comp. called 'Invisible pyramid', and a recent free one with Uncut, which had PG Six on it.

I was once on a Daniel Johnston tribute 7 inch, which was fun for me, as it had Half Japanese (who have recorded with Daniel) on it.

There's an exclusive Kitchen Cynics track (about Arthur Farquhar's grave in the St Nicholas graveyard) on the compilation CD which comes with the brand new issue of 'Dream' magazine, from the USA

Dream Magazine

I should also mention the new 'So Quiet It Kame' double comp of Aberdeen bands!

mine is "nazis make good targets"

1 - The Spiky Joys - Fuckin Nazis Annihilation, 2 - Total Chaos - Kill The Nazis, 3 - Napalm Death - Nazi Punks Fuck Off, 4 - Malignant Tumour - Nazis Raus, 5 - Crossing Chaos - Fuck Nazi, 6 - Rottuated - Fuck Nazi Sympathy, 7 - Swallowing Shit - Christian Metal Equal, 8 - USCB Allstars - Nazi Scums Are Walkings Nazi Reggae, 9 - Anti Globalizator - Beat The Nazi, 10 - Diskonto - Kungen Ar Nazist, 11 - Dicks - No Nazis Friend. 12 - Phobia - Dead Nazis, 13 - Sanitys Dawn - Fuck The Fucking Nazi Scum. 14 - Eugene Chadbourne - Nazi Punks Fuck Off, 15 - Cripple Bastards - Nazi Dad, 16 - DBS - David O Is A Nazi, 17 - Pulmonary Fibrosis - Fuck Off Nazi Bastard, 18 - Wizo - Naziskins, 19 - Doom - Nazi Die. 20 - The Heartburns - Nazi Bastard In Blue, 21 - Christian Death - Nazi Killer, 22 - POA - All Nazis Are Bastards, 23 - More Noise For Life - Nazi Punk Fuck Off, 24 - Asocial - Krossa Nazismen, 25 - Hellbastard - Nazis Killed, 26 - Konflikt - Antinazi, 27 - Ens - Kickin In The Face Of A Naziscum, 28 - Desorden Masivo - Revuelta Antinazi, 29 - Barbed Wire - Nazi Briton Fuck Off, 30 - Chumbawamba - On The Day The Nazi Died, 31 - Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks Fuck Off, 32 - Heiter Bis Wolkig - 10 Kleine Nazischweine, 33 - Infest - Nazi Killer, 34 - Dtakters - Kristna Nynazister, 35 - Propagandhi - The Only Good Fascist Is A Very Dead Fascist, 36 - UK Subs - Nazi Cunts, 37 - Adolfs Gossar - Krossa Nazismen, 38 - Leftover Crack - Nazi White Trash, 39 - Mushroom Attack - Fuck Nazis, 40 - Oi Scouts - Nuke The Nazis, 41 - Sore Throat - Well March Against The Nazis, 42 - H2O - Nazi Punks Fuck Off, 43 - Antidote - No Nazis In Punk!, 44 - Rumble Militia - Nazis Raus, 45 - Fight Back - No To Nazis, 46 - Non Servium - Antinazis, 47 - Slime - Nazis Raus, 48 - Sere Krev - Fuck Off Nazis, 49 - Oi Polloi - Nazi Scum, 50 - FUs - Trendy Nazi Hypocrites, 51 - Atomvinter - Nazifasoner. 52 - Disarm - Destrua O Nazismo. 53 - Toxic Bonkers - Nazi Fuckers, 54 - Korova - Nazis Ruined Shaved Heads. 55 - GRB - Nazis Muertos, 56 - Kastracja - Nazi Punk Fuck Off. 57 - Aus Rotten - Fuck Nazi Sympathy, 58 - Final Conflict - Nazi Punks Fuck Off, 59 - MDC - Nazis Shouldnt Drive, 60 - Stockholms Anarkafeministkor - On The Day The Nazi Died

I've just been re-listening to an old copy of the ninja tune compilation "Ninja Cuts - Funkjazztical Tricknology" from 1995 which I found hidden in a pile of cd's the other day, it still sounds dead classy and has some gems on it, with artists like Attica Blues, 9 Lazy 9 and Funki Porcini. Well worth a listen if you are into that sort of thing.