aberdeen-music

FAO purists: Third Lanark for sale.

Scorge

eBay.co.uk: THIRD LANARK FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED (item 130082185663 end time 02-Mar-07 15:10:41 GMT)

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Glasgow and West | Internet bid to revive old club

Thoughts? Looks like a nice idea, but I know that Sweeney tried to sell it for 18000 to a Jags fan, pulled out of a Third Lanark video night a while back, and orignally had planned for a 6000 seater at Cathkin. And he also claims to have sold the name Meadowbank Thistle back to a fan for a fair wad of cash, but at check at Companies House shows the name still registered to his flat.

Hmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jake Wifebeater

Hmm, not sure about this. Might make Thirds' progs more expensive than they already are.

Paid a pilgrimage to Cathkin a few years back, and it was pretty eerie with the trees sprouting through the stands and the railings still there. Not a sound, not even a bird cheeping. Bob Crampsey's house overlooks the ground too.

He may not even have the right to the name Meadowbank Thistle or Third Lanark, so the whole auction is questionable to begin with. Just because he's managed to register a company with the name doesn't mean fuck all - so it's very dodgy.

And yeah, Cathkin Park is a very eerie place. There's something about it that just symbolises everything that's wrong in football. I still haven't had a chance to kick a ball about on the pitch, but I will do this summer with a bit of luck.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

It's people like Bob Laird who keep my faith in football. Every year, he puts on an exhibition of Hi-Hi memorabilia, which he does "to keep the memory of Third Lanark alive". He's written a beautiful book too, my mate managed to get me a personally signed and dedicated copy. All round good egg, and his team never get beaten nowadays!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Another thing - was the club not actually entitled 'Third Lanark Athletic Club' anway? Hrm.....

Indeed, a quick rifle through the prog collection confirms that one, an interesting quirk.

Also, I remember the Sellick crest used to (maybe still does?) say "The Celtic Football and Athletic Coy." on it. I used to wonder what a "coy" was.

two grand an all!!! jeez you could buy cambridge united for two scotch eggs, a pork pie and a bag of salt n vinegar.

and what would you get? 200,000 quid rent a year on the stadium, a below average relegation threatened conference side and jimmy quinn! you wouldnt even get the supporters club bar since the club doesnt own it!