aberdeen-music

Margaret Thatcher fan club on Bebo

Camie

Why is it scary? With the benefit of hindsight, there's a very strong case to be made for Thatcher as the best Prime Minister this country's ever had. Granted, a lot of the measures she took seemed tough at the time, and rattled a few cages among the I'm-Alright -Jack brigade, but we're reaping enormous benefits from it now.

These kids love her for all the wrong reasons. They like her image as an alternative... the same way that a 12 year old likes the way their Slipknot hoody makes them 'edgy'.

I don't care which way these folks vote anyway. I don't particularly agree with any political parties right now, so I'm not one to talk. I was more bothered about the pro-fox hunting wankers.

Why is it scary? With the benefit of hindsight, there's a very strong case to be made for Thatcher as the best Prime Minister this country's ever had. Granted, a lot of the measures she took seemed tough at the time, and rattled a few cages among the I'm-Alright -Jack brigade, but we're reaping enormous benefits from it now.

Erm... I'm gonna need that one explained to me, I think...

Erm... I'm gonna need that one explained to me, I think...

Well, she irreversibly destroyed British industry, the lives of hundreds of thousands of skilled workers and numerous communities across the Scotland, the North of England and Wales and fostered the "greed above all else" spirit that pervades Britain to this day and has made it the gutless, soulless country it is.

What's not to be grateful for?

I was more bothered about the pro-fox hunting wankers.

So go on, what would be your choice of humane pest control? Bear in mind that the human race wants foxes to be controlled, so I'd be interested in hearing your proposal for a control method that's quicker and more painless.

I'm anti hunting, by the way, yet I can see that there's not many alternatives.

The law on the other hand, is utterly useless. You've got the pro hunting zealots on one hand who will simply throw money at lobbying the government not to go further than they have, and the anti zealots on the other hand who have committed some awful things in the name of protest - including attacking people *on horseback*. So, all in all, we've got a completely unworkable ban that even the police won't bother to attempt to prosecute.

Incidentally, if there was to be a total ban on hunting, what would you do with the thousands of dogs kept for hunting? Considering they're bred for hunting, they'd be useless as pets, so what would be your humane proposal?

Finally, have you actually ever been to a hunt? If not, how do you know they're all toffs?

It's quite scary how many young people jump on board the We-Love-Thatcher bandwagon right now

Why, because they're exercising a democratic right to believe in what they want? Wow, terrifying. At least they're taking an interest in politics, unlike a lot of the youth of today.

Incidentally, if it wasn't for Thatcher, Scotland may never had its own parliament and a very real chance of independence.

She didn't destroy British industry, she freed the taxpayer from the massive burden failing nationalised industries put on the country. Yes, her policies put thousands of manual labourers out of work, but their skills were no longer useful in the modern market. The commercial sector in Britain is now at its strongest ever level, and there are more jobs in the UK now than at any point in history. All of that is down to the economic strategy of Margaret Thatcher and the successive governments that carried on that strategy.

The manufacturing base of the UK was already in terminal decline and was not fit for purpose in a global economy. Has anyone ever actually read the Labour manifestos for the 1979 and 1983 elections? Can anyone point out one single good idea in either of them? British industry, far from providing jobs and security, was costing this country money and power and was costing far more than any worth it may have had in keeping together old-fashioned communities built around outdated schemes.

As for Britain being gutless and soulless, that more more accurately describes the country in the 70's, where massive unemployment and trade union domination of government policy led to hyperinflation, huge tax rises, and the despicable policy of "managed decline" to which the governments of Heath, Wilson and Callaghan subscribed to. Yes, she upset many with vested interests in maintaining the status quo, but she did exactly what needed to be done. I don't know if I would say she was the best PM in history, but she'd certainly be in my top five.

Few would argue with the view that the country was in a mess before she came to power. Many of the reforms that she undertook were undeniably necessary. But, to clear a few weeds, she flamethrowered the whole garden.

Society has always had a fluctuating existence, like standing up in a rowing boat. One style of government replaces another and in general, taken over many years, the balance is always found. But she went so far the other way, and so quickly, that the unfortunates who were too near the sides were lost forever. Some of what she did obviously needed to be done, but because it was needed so badly, people forget that it could have been done so much better. The boat is still sailing, but more of the crew are drowning.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith

So go on, what would be your choice of humane pest control? Bear in mind that the human race wants foxes to be controlled, so I'd be interested in hearing your proposal for a control method that's quicker and more painless.

I'm anti hunting, by the way, yet I can see that there's not many alternatives.

The law on the other hand, is utterly useless. You've got the pro hunting zealots on one hand who will simply throw money at lobbying the government not to go further than they have, and the anti zealots on the other hand who have committed some awful things in the name of protest - including attacking people *on horseback*. So, all in all, we've got a completely unworkable ban that even the police won't bother to attempt to prosecute.

Incidentally, if there was to be a total ban on hunting, what would you do with the thousands of dogs kept for hunting? Considering they're bred for hunting, they'd be useless as pets, so what would be your humane proposal?

Finally, have you actually ever been to a hunt? If not, how do you know they're all toffs?

Right so we should keep on hunting because they have so many dogs that they have unethically bred to hunt? Is that what you are saying?

I understand the problem that foxes cause farmers but that's why they need to develop a strategy instead of the out of date, old fashion hunt.

Yes, shoot the fuckers if they're bothering your chickens. Don't chase them across fields joyfully to watch them being torn to shit by a pack of dogs. The number of foxes that are killed by the blood-sport method is very small in comparison to the more humane bullet between the eyes, but it's distressing for the poor animals that do become targeted.

And of course they're not all toffs... some are simply wannabe toffs with jolly eccentricities. They are all cunts however. I have never been to a hunt admittedly, but that's because I don't like hanging out with folks who chase down animals for fun!

As for the dogs that would need destroyed, it's the owners fault for training them badly. Police dogs are only aggressive when they're set to work. When they're not on their harness, they're perfectly domesticated. I feel bad enough for the dogs, but I'd feel even worse if they were chased across the countryside by a gang of people called Cedric and Gertrude with a nice grizzly death to wrap up the day, as opposed to a long snooze at the vets.

Again on the Thatcher issue, I believe most of these Tory kids like Thatcher for all the wrong reasons, and that's the problem.

Right so we should keep on hunting because they have so many dogs that they have unethically bred to hunt? Is that what you are saying?

Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-hunting too. But there simply isn't a quick and easy answer to the cold, hard fact that a lot of dogs will end up being destroyed if hunting got banned properly - do you really think a lot of the League against Cruel Sports would want to take one in?

I understand the problem that foxes cause farmers but that's why they need to develop a strategy instead of the out of date, old fashion hunt.

Problem is, hunting brings money too. There's a good example in Essex, where the local lord employs several local people full time and runs several high profile hunts each year - all that brings in money to the local economy, with even local hotels and the like benefitting from people turning up. If hunting goes, that money has to be found from somewhere - otherwise, the taxpayer is paying.

Part of the problem though is that a lot of ordinary horse riding types who work hard for their horse also enjoy hunting - because of the unpredictability of the ride. They don't care less about the fox being torn apart, they don't have bloodlust, but they just want a chance to experience some decent unpredictable riding conditions.

Yes, shoot the fuckers if they're bothering your chickens. Don't chase them across fields joyfully to watch them being torn to shit by a pack of dogs. The number of foxes that are killed by the blood-sport method is very small in comparison to the more humane bullet between the eyes, but it's distressing for the poor animals that do become targeted.

So hang on, you're happy for foxes to be shot (with the risk of the fox not getting killed and having a slow, painful death), but not happy for foxes to be torn apart quickly by dogs? Bit of a contradiction there, don't you think? Neither method is particularly humane, at the end of the day.

And of course they're not all toffs... some are simply wannabe toffs with jolly eccentricities. They are all cunts however. I have never been to a hunt admittedly, but that's because I don't like hanging out with folks who chase down animals for fun!

So in other words, you don't actually know what type of people go to hunts? This is part of the reason why the people campaining for a total ban are getting absolutely nowhere - labelling people "toff cunts" just sounds like you're being bitter that they've got more money than you.

As for the dogs that would need destroyed, it's the owners fault for training them badly. Police dogs are only aggressive when they're set to work. When they're not on their harness, they're perfectly domesticated. I feel bad enough for the dogs, but I'd feel even worse if they were chased across the countryside by a gang of people called Cedric and Gertrude with a nice grizzly death to wrap up the day, as opposed to a long snooze at the vets.

So you're advocating destroying perfectly healthy dogs now? Wow, that's ethical, killing something in its prime, just because it isn't wanted.

Again on the Thatcher issue, I believe most of these Tory kids like Thatcher for all the wrong reasons, and that's the problem.

Since when has anyone had to like someone for the "right" reasons? If the kids love Thatcher because she's some sort of icon to them, so what? It's their bloody choice.

There's a difference between killing something and hunting it down in traditional ritualistic 'sport'. I'm not contradicting myself.

Also, the people who go on fox hunts are not people who need foxes dead! It's simply a way of landowners generating income, and for posh people to get a hard on.

I don't advocate killing dogs. I'd prefer the owners to be forced by law to pay for keeping the dogs in comfort for the rest of their lives, if they are in fact too aggressive to be domesticated... but I'm sure you'd cheerfully piss and moan at how unrealistic that would be.

Thanks for selectively picking at my post though Cloud.

Since when has anyone had to like someone for the "right" reasons? If the kids love Thatcher because she's some sort of icon to them, so what? It's their bloody choice.

And it's the REASON she's an icon to them that's the problem. People hate her for various reasons, and they like that... not because of the polltax. It's the same mentallity behind the way kids love Marilyn Manson because their parents and peers hate him.

Few would argue with the view that the country was in a mess before she came to power. Many of the reforms that she undertook were undeniably necessary. But, to clear a few weeds, she flamethrowered the whole garden.

Society has always had a fluctuating existence, like standing up in a rowing boat. One style of government replaces another and in general, taken over many years, the balance is always found. But she went so far the other way, and so quickly, that the unfortunates who were too near the sides were lost forever. Some of what she did obviously needed to be done, but because it was needed so badly, people forget that it could have been done so much better. The boat is still sailing, but more of the crew are drowning.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith

Applause:up: