aberdeen-music

Digital Multi-Trackers

Swingin' Ryan

Can anybody offer any advice on Digital Multi-Track recorders. I'm looking for an 8-track recorder in the 200-250 region. I've had a look at the Fostex MR8-MKII and the Zoom MRS-8. The Zoom seems a very fair price with a lot of features, so I'm instantly suspicous that there's something dodgy with it, does anyone own/ever owned one?

Buy A Boss BR1180, I can't recommend them highly enough. If you're interested, all of the following songs have been recorded on mine:

www.myspace.com/totherescueuk

www.myspace.com/jondeadenstereo

www.myspace.com/themildhearts

SoundClick artist: Jon Dick - Rockandrollacousticpopfolkpunkmelodicawesomosityindemoform

I know that seems like a plugathon, but it is a seriously excellent machine, and incredibly user friendly. Although anyone buying an 8 track should remember that you'll only get out what you put in, or to put it another way, no machine will polish a turd!

Cheers! You can pick them up new for about 300 on eBay, so if you've got 200+ to spend I shouldn't think you'll have any bother.

It's also worth pointing out that the onboard compressors and effects are very good (Boss quailty) and mixing is really easy too. It records to a harddrive which is pretty enormous - I've had 70+ full tracks stored on it before now.

What I like most is that if you wan a really expansive recording, record your first 8 tracks, mix them and then burn them as a cd. You can then import that stereo track back in over 2channels and free up another 6 - that's how I did all the To The Rescue tracks.

I've got a Tascam DP-01, which I think is very good. The next model up has loads of in built effects, but they're probably all gash.

Studiospares - TASCAM DP-01 DIG.PORTASTUDIO

My band has used the next Tascam model up to record a lot of demo's, but we've never really extensively used any of the FX, although they are OK. Some of them are very cheesy Flange type sounds, but the vocal and drum effects are particularly good.

Can anybody offer any advice on Digital Multi-Track recorders. I'm looking for an 8-track recorder in the 200-250 region. I've had a look at the Fostex MR8-MKII and the Zoom MRS-8. The Zoom seems a very fair price with a lot of features, so I'm instantly suspicous that there's something dodgy with it, does anyone own/ever owned one?

Why not just get a proper audio interface for your computer and learn how to use cubase, instead of wasting time with old technology?

Maybe he has a crap computer which would be useless with cubase. Plus shut up you nerd.

Actually for just multitracking you don't need a particularly powerful machine. It seems pointless to waste 200-250 quid on an outdated piece of technology when for half that money you could get a decent audio interface with a few inputs and probably a couple of mic pre's.

Why not just get a proper audio interface for your computer and learn how to use cubase, instead of wasting time with old technology?

I've got a couple of years experience working with digital multi-track equipment, and could therefore get fairly decent results quickly, as opposed to spending time getting to grips with a new way of recording.

I've got a couple of years experience working with digital multi-track equipment, and could therefore get fairly decent results quickly, as opposed to spending time getting to grips with a new way of recording.

The interface on computer-software is much easier to use than a tiny little display on a boss multi-tracker. Also far more expandable as you can add as many VST plugins as you wish for effects processing and software synths.

I am not convinced there is a price advantage however. If you want 10 inputs at comparible quality (possibly an upgrade) with the Boss, you are looking at someting like M-Audio Delta 1010 (which only has 8 analog inputs, note that PCI unit is not the same quality as firewire unit) and then you have to buy mic pre amps amongst other things to go with it.

Then if you buy software (assuming you are not content with some free LE version) The latest versions of sonar and cubase are something like 300. Old verisons (which are still good) you can get for 50-100.

Even if you buy Behringer, which I suspect wouldn't offer an upgrade in quality over the Boss. You are probably going to spend more money than 250 by the time you buy a ADAT card and some software.

I would strongly recommend against the non-CD boss unit as you will have to put it through a soundcard which is most-likely of average quality (otherwise you might have concidered recording using it).

disclaimer: I am not familular with boss multitrack recorders and my assumption of quality was made entirely based upon recordings made by it.