aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen compilation

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to everyone who has responded to our original post, and to all the bands who have PM'd in the last few days, we are currently listening to and considering each band and we will be in touch shortly.

In answer to the questions on what makes this compiliation different to previous ones such as Fat Hippy, this compilation will be on a larger scale, and will be heard by more people because of the fact it is free. It will have a much higher press run and will also be distributed outside of Aberdeen in record shops and venues all around Scotland. The plan is to distribute this to record labels, radio stations and the press nationwide in order to expose the local music scene.

Aberdeen is very much ignored in terms of the music scene, and the fact that Go North isn't being hosted here this year isn't going to help matters. Hopefully this compilation will turn things around.

Strength in numbers!

(See other thread about tomorrow night at the Tunnels room 2 and label/collective launch. Although our cd's aren't as much about showcasing as just compiling some good music by people that happen to live in Aberdeen and it isn't free)

Lets not all go Aberdoom and gloom on someone 'doing' something :up: :up:

:)

Strength in numbers!

(See other thread about tomorrow night at the Tunnels room 2 and label/collective launch. Although our cd's aren't as much about showcasing as just compiling some good music by people that happen to live in Aberdeen and it isn't free)

Lets not all go Aberdoom and gloom on someone 'doing' something :up: :up:

:)

i second that

hmm, how many people have been handed a free comp cd at a gig, in the street, etc and actually listened to it? i bet a lot of people take them as an act of kindness, or because theyll just dump in the collection of free cds everyone has at home.

all the bands clamouring to get on the cd should just send their demos to said radio stations/producers/labels themselves. you know, DIY. :up:

hmm, how many people have been handed a free comp cd at a gig, in the street, etc and actually listened to it? i bet a lot of people take them as an act of kindness, or because theyll just dump in the collection of free cds everyone has at home.

all the bands clamouring to get on the cd should just send their demos to said radio stations/producers/labels themselves. you know, DIY. :up:

DIY is good aye BUT radio stations will ignore demos as they are only really intererested in releases. Labels will ignore the demo unless they have heard of the band, dumping it in the un-wanted bands list - who has actually got signed from randomly handing a CD to a label.

This is just something nice for bands who don't have the time to be doing a good 100+ shows across the UK, as the DIY ethic would require.

DIY is good aye BUT radio stations will ignore demos as they are only really intererested in releases. Labels will ignore the demo unless they have heard of the band, dumping it in the un-wanted bands list - who has actually got signed from randomly handing a CD to a label.

This is just something nice for bands who don't have the time to be doing a good 100+ shows across the UK, as the DIY ethic would require.

it just looks like it would be a waste of time, unless the bands are recording a proper song for it and could use it elsewhere. otherwise, its pointless just bunging a song off your myspace onto a comp.

bands should save up, record a proper e.p or something then send it out and try and 'get signed' if thats what you want. if a demo wont get you 'the deal' then a song on a comp certainly wont.

how about using the money (for the comp) to pay for local bands to record proper songs and release them???

it just looks like it would be a waste of time, unless the bands are recording a proper song for it and could use it elsewhere. otherwise, its pointless just bunging a song off your myspace onto a comp.

bands should save up, record a proper e.p or something then send it out and try and 'get signed' if thats what you want. if a demo wont get you 'the deal' then a song on a comp certainly wont.

how about using the money (for the comp) to pay for local bands to record proper songs and release them???

I dont think getting a 'deal' was mentioned. Awareness raising is the point of the project! There is a great deal of good things in this city that we should start shouting about instead of poo pooing initiative for fuck sake... About time to start losing that apologetic tone everytime we tell someone that 'we are from Aberdeen'... Say it enough and we start to believe it!

I know this wasn't the point being made but there is always a negativity hovering around when someone has an idea.

We may end up seeing signs around town like 'Had a good idea? This way for the South!'

:love:

There is no bigger waste of time than 'not exploiting your talent'!!!!!!! Aberdeen easily fights above its weight when it comes to talented people!

It's not about the individual bands, that wouldnt make sense. Seem like a good idea to use the comp to promote Aberdeen as a whole.

not quite a label, but one of the view members supposedly queued to hand a demo to pete doherty after one of his gigs and they got a deal off of that.

it's as easy that i suppose :rolleyes:

Yeah they gave their demo to PD and he gave them a 10 minute slot at the gig that night. Has all just gone from there. I tried the alternative, give a CD to Dirty Pretty Things, didnt work.

Haha.

Yeah they gave their demo to PD and he gave them a 10 minute slot at the gig that night. Has all just gone from there. I tried the alternative, give a CD to Dirty Pretty Things, didnt work.

Haha.

I guess it depends how 'smacked-out' the guy you hand your demo to is then.

I think this thing is a good idea in getting a bit of exposure for Aberdeen's bands as a whole. I don't think there can be anything negative taken from doing a compilation like this.

i dont really see what the fuss is about

the more of these things kicking around the better. You may or may not like whats on them, but if you have 6000 cds of various comps kicking around with local acts as opposed to 2000, then it cant be a bad thing. people worried about the quality of the acts need not worry, what goes around will come around eventually. If you think that the lesser acts are giving your city a bad name, get out there and change that!

although if i was looking for the best bands to be on it i would have done just that, went looking, find out who has been the more established/succesful etc first, got them to agree to it, then i would have posted on here to fill the rest of it up. what we may see here is that many of the more established/better bands ignoring it because they percieve it to be any old cd or a pipe dream.

although if i was looking for the best bands to be on it i would have done just that, went looking, find out who has been the more established/succesful etc first, got them to agree to it, then i would have posted on here to fill the rest of it up..

so surely it would make more sense to do a proper release (album? ep?) for the best bands then, with the money.

no offence, but whats the point in filler?

so surely it would make more sense to do a proper release (album? ep?) for the best bands then, with the money.

No because that costs much more money than making a compilation. They are better to just have a compilation as the treat about compilatiosn is that you get a taster of everything so the chances are you will like some of the bands on it where as with ep, people are less likely to buy it as it is "all the same" in some respect.

Are you more than likely to buy a comp of bands you haven't heard of or an ep of a band you haven't heard of?

If bands want to release an album or EP they can either do it themselves or get a record company to do it. I don't think anyone would sponsor what is basically a record company, so there would be no money to record and release with anyway.

The whole point is: if people like even just one band, they will pick up the CD and probably give the bands they haven't heard yet a listen as well.