aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen compilation

Yes, we know, there are plenty of local based compilations kicking around but how many have truly made an impact?

We are putting together a compilation that will truly represent the Aberdeen Music Scene. We are hoping to make this a free compilation that can be available at all local venues, record shops etc to pick up and also around venues in Scotland. It will also be used as a tool for record labels to discover the great talent in the city all at once. The aim is for an initial 2000 press run and see where it goes from there. We want to reach as many people, particularly people in Aberdeen that may go to bigger gigs but be unaware of all the great local bands there are.

So what are we looking for? Well, some of Granite City's finest are already confirmed and we want more bands, so get in touch.

We want sponsors to help make this possible (again, we have already begun getting this but the more money put into it, the more copies we can have pressed). Think, venues and promoters, this will benefit you too in the long run.

We want artists or anyone that can contribute to designing the packaging.

We want anyone interested in promoting this compilation and we want suggestions for a title.

Please send PM's if interested.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Hines said, if some of the acts putting themselves forwards on here are anything to go by it's not going to be the biggest local bands, or even the best (as subjective as that is).

I guess there's no harm in another compilation going out. The fat hippy one was only a few quid to buy and gave decent value even if I didn't like some of the artists. It's par for the course. As long as the thing isn't called "Granite Rocks!" or something equally cringeworthy then I'll probably buy it.

But that leads me onto another issue. If they say the CDs purpose is to expose local bands to people who normally wouldn't see them, then how do they persuade them to buy the CD? I'd guess most compilations like this are bought by people who are already interested in local music. I'd bet most people who bought Fat Hippy, Nomad AM, the Lithium comps back in the day already knew some of the bands who appeared on them and that's why they bought them.

But that leads me onto another issue. If they say the CDs purpose is to expose local bands to people who normally wouldn't see them, then how do they persuade them to buy the CD? I'd guess most compilations like this are bought by people who are already interested in local music. I'd bet most people who bought Fat Hippy, Nomad AM, the Lithium comps back in the day already knew some of the bands who appeared on them and that's why they bought them.

But I thought this compilation was going to be given away for free?