aberdeen-music

Crackdown (360)

ZeromiserY

Heres a short review of the game. i managed to get my grubby little paws on it early ( as well as halo 3 beta, WOOT!)

After playing the demo i thought it seemed a little dissapointing. After all, you'd expect some of the best bits of the game, or best features at least to be in the demo as the demo is supposed to make you want to buy the game. The best bits are infact there, just the balance is a little off.

you have a set of abilities that increase with 'practice' as it were. or by collecting 'orbs'. (not the dust in front of the lense or "first signs of a ghostly manifestation" - evette fielding - type ones". you can only really fully explore one ability per play of the demo. the game isnt as fun without the balance of abilities

the demo gives you around 30 minutes to play one island (saints row/gta) and explore you're abilities. unlike gta however, you can visit any island from the start of the full game, though they have varying degrees of difficulty (you'll see what i mean). it works pretty well.

its great fun leaping from the top of a 50 story building, blowing up 5 enemies with you're grenade launcher before you hit the ground. then picking up a car and throwing it into a petrol station with a remote grenade attached to it, thus taking out most of a "boss's" gaurds.

the controls and AI at times are a bit clunky, and the cell shading sometimes doesnt feel right. it also seems quite repetetive at times, and climbing the ability ladder feels frustrating most of the time ( I JUST WANT TO BE AT MAX EVERYTHING RIGHT AWAY - but thats just me). aside from that, its a corker of a game. IMO - its like a better version of saints row due to the cool as fuck superhuman abilities, though it misses out some of the better features like car and player customisation. I dont feel this should (in general) be compared to GTA, as you're penalised for harming civilians -its a different kind of game, even if it is a third person sandbox shooter.I've had it 3 days now and i'd say i could finish it in another two if i wanted....but viva pinata and lost planet have some time reserved for them.

if you like shooters such as sllinter cell and ghost recon advanced warfighter this is for you (i compare them due to the fact you get penalised for harming civilians, some find this incredibly frustrating)

If you cant stand that and want to kill every motherfucker you see, steer clear.

cheers ZeromiserY (steeev86)

Bit more than a year ago my uni class visited Real Time World's studio in Dundee and they gave us a demonstration of Crackdown and showed us how it was coming together, been rather looking forward to it ever since.

i only realised the other day it was RTW who were making it. dundee lads at it again. its changed a lot since the early vids. they did a good job, though i've been stuck inside buildings or between objects and had to kill myself to get back into the game. also some slowdown at points. (though that could just be my copy of the game....not usually a problem though)

oh, better mention this: released 23.2.07

I wasnt impressed with the demo. As you say plays a bit like GTA or saints row, but i think i'd rather have either of them instead. Also i think the graphics look a bit weird, sort of cartoony but not quite.

Is the halo 3 beta for the UK? i had heard it only works in the US.

I wasnt impressed with the demo. As you say plays a bit like GTA or saints row, but i think i'd rather have either of them instead. Also i think the graphics look a bit weird, sort of cartoony but not quite.

it works in uk, trust me ; )

the cartoony graphics are due to the fact it is cell shaded, like a scanner darkly se above review for my thoughts on it

I got it at the weekend, first time I played it was for about 30 minutes and I was sorely dissapointed. HOWEVER, I picked it up again the day after and have become totally hooked on it, it's an excellant game. I definately see what you mean Zeromisery about just wanting full abilities straight away, but it is pretty fun building them up.

I spent about 30 minutes climbing the Agency building to get to the top, but the very last jump you need to make is beyond my capabilities just now (which was really irritating) ....but ill be back.

I got it at the weekend, first time I played it was for about 30 minutes and I was sorely dissapointed. HOWEVER, I picked it up again the day after and have become totally hooked on it, it's an excellant game. I definately see what you mean Zeromisery about just wanting full abilities straight away, but it is pretty fun building them up.

I spent about 30 minutes climbing the Agency building to get to the top, but the very last jump you need to make is beyond my capabilities just now (which was really irritating) ....but ill be back.

i got them both at 3 star agility. jump into the little pool of water. you know when you jump over the rail and get the acheivment for climbing the tower?? look into the corner of that edge and jump (straight up in the air, dont move the stick) and look down. jump into that pool of water. if you can clim the tower you should be able to make it.

and no, you wont be able to play the beta for a whiley yet :up:

edit: i beat the final boss without killing any of the other bosses on that island, its a bit too easy to run past all the gaurds, jump up on the top of the roof where he is and just lob a couple' cluster greenades at him.

the graphics are cell shaded like in a scanner darkly. same idea. though once you play it for a bit you stop noticing. it adds to the marvel comic feel of the game with the superman/incredible hulk stylee abilities. it kind of plays like a spiderman/superman/hulk crossover but much.......much smoother.

halo 3 beta is UK as well. it'll be in you're download menu but the writing will be light as its not available yet.

a little tip to ya'll though. if you go into system setting and put lets say a tokyo address in as your own address you get to download anything they get over there!

same goes for a USA address. so look up bungie's address or something and if the halo beta is available there first you'll be able to get it, change you're settings back and voi la.

(in theory, its worked before)