aberdeen-music

Bloc Party - Storm Off

Juice25

...Who were the third band on then? Ahaha, I've been under the impression it was you lot since August! :D Fiction Action, RHL, ????, FMM...

I didn't notice the Block Party thing until a friend pointed it out. On the flyers there was a bit of black tape over the K on every one, so when you peeled it back, the K was revealed. Good times.

...Who were the third band on then? Ahaha, I've been under the impression it was you lot since August! :D Fiction Action, RHL, ????, FMM...

I didn't notice the Block Party thing until a friend pointed it out. On the flyers there was a bit of black tape over the K on every one, so when you peeled it back, the K was revealed. Good times.

The 2-piece from Norwich? Played keyboards, dont think i can remember there name. Kinda reminded me of Copy Haho, but with keyboards.

Guest idol_wild

"Nobody throws coins at me"

He didn't need to say that, or in the tone that he did. But I do agree that they were within their rights to walk off, I must say.

I fully expected someone to throw another coin immediately after they came back on.

My feelings of the gig are very mixed - the sound was absolutely awful; I can only assume it's due to the venue. The guitars were largely lost, and the xylophone intro to "Waiting For The 7:18" was barely audible. Kele's vocals were largely weak. There was just too much natural reverb in the Music Hall, given that they are a band who use plenty of reverb and delay in their sound set up anyway. I'm sure they played very well, but it was kind of hard to tell.

The lights, however, were fucking spectacular.

A pretty damn good gig all in all. We got there about 9 so we missed the support unfortunately but we weren't too bothered.

I thought Bloc Party handled the coin situation really badly. Of course, coin throwing is anything but acceptable (especially if you are paying 15 or more for going to a sold out gig), but for fuck sake, Kele didn't have to storm off in a big huff after saying "nobody throws coins at me", and getting someone else to announce that if one more coin was thrown they'd stop playing was fairly pathetic. Could he not just announce it himself?

Set-wise, some nice tunes. I wasn't keen on the slower tunes that much, especially Sunday and This Modern Love, and I would have liked them to have played Price of Gas and Luno instead of those. I was unfortunate enough to be stuck right in the middle of the jumping crowd at the front during Helicopter. The main gripe I had about the set was that they went on too early and they didn't play long enough. An extra 15 minutes wouldn't have been too hard for them to play.

The lighting was excellent, but an epileptic's worst nightmare. The strobe effects during Uniform was the highlight, when there were strobes simultaneous to Kele's strumming and the fade to black towards the end, then a warm lighting behind them so you can only see them as a shadow. Top notch.

The sound could have been better. I was more to the right of the crowd so I couldn't hear much of Russel's lead parts, but I expected that seeing as it's the Music Hall.

I can't believe there were football chants. I was disgusted and embarrassed.

Whoever invented camera and video phones needs a fucking smack.

The flyers for Retro Rooms was hilarious, especially them trying to disguise the additional 'K' with some black tape. The person who made the error must have had fun doing each individual flyer.

Then I went off to Drummonds to catch the rest of the Snake Temple King's set (400% better than the gig at the Moorings, much clearer sound) and Gerry Jablonski who was bloody mental.

All in all, a great night.

in the whole i thought it was an alright gig although i had low expectations anyway since im not a massive bloc party fan i was expecting the sound to be shit as per usual but didnt think it was too bad.

with regards to the coin throwing incident why the fuck would anyone do that? couldnt make any sense of it. u expect stuff like that at festivals not at a gig of about 2,000 capacity

morons.

i thought their set length was just fine. not too long and not too short. just right. the lights were good overall but the big white lights that were aiming straight out at the crowd were fucking annoying. meh. strange gig but i think bloc party did okay out of it even if they could've handled the 'incident' a little better. i hope wheover threw the coin got their comeuppance.

Bit strange. I reckon someone at NME.com reads the Drowned In Sound message boards as someone linked to this thread from there earlier on.

They do. It has thousands of lurkers. I keep forgetting that the people posting aren't just the ones reading.

Tis on FakeDiY too (apologies in advance if this has noticed later as i have clearly not read the rest of this thread yet)

Coin Throwing Halts Bloc Party Gig: Bloc Party News on This Is Fake DIY

Nope, afraid not :)

Also, isn't Kele supposed to be vaguely rock n roll. He shoulda thrown the coin back! Or ripped it up a bit and tried to track down the idiot who threw it.

It always confuses me why people throw things at bands they like... what's up with that?

I seem to distinctly remember Kele denouncing the merits of the whole concept of "rock n' roll" in several interviews in the past.

I had been waiting to see Bloc Party for ages and for the gig to be spoiled by some numpty with no brain was a huge disapontment. When the band returened they just did't look up for it. Feilds were good but the sound quaility was dyer, will probably put me off going to the music hall unless its a gig i really want to see. Anyway... hope this whole thing dose'nt put off other bands in the future, i have a feeling it will be a long time before we see bloc party again! :down:

Audiences at, big gigs especially in Aberdeen where every moron and his wife seems to show up for the spectacle of a big band complete with camera phone, no respect for the people around them and a pissed up, lets jump around and use the shoulders of strangers as a platform for us to jump around so much that we cant possibly be paying any attention to the band attitude.

killers will be interesting tomorrow night...

i thought bloc party were fairly dull the other night and i was a bit dissapointed

apart from the opening track, this modern love, positive tension (until coinage) and banquet. new stuff was pretty dull(dont know it yet but maybe better on record)

probably wasnt helped by music hall sound or kele being in worst mood ever after the coin(how many guitar changes? he kept changing before the ends of songs - guess he just wanted it over!)

did anyone notice the drummer and guitarist seemed to want to stay on?

the positive stuff i thought was that the drummer is AMAZING! he blew me away, the lights were cool as fuck and the fields band were good

thought it started so well with that opening track too but has to be said coin throwing spoiled it

as someone said, i half expected someone to lob one as soon as they came back, glad i was there to see it tho, never seen that in aberdeen before

poor guy that had to announce it instead - kind of felt for him, probably just wanted a quiet night and a cup of tea,

gets told "erm, someone threw a coin and the singer boys nae happy and walked off after two songs, can you go on and say something to the crowd? theres about 1000 of them and theyve all payed 20ish and are getting bit pissed off? Cheers mate"

• Upvote 1