aberdeen-music

Bloc Party - Storm Off

Juice25

Exactly why Im not going. I basically hated myself for being foolish enough to attend Franz Ferdinand a while back and made the exception for Muse (naturally even this included almost getting in a full force fight with someone no less than 3 times).

yeah but aren't you extremely glad you did? muse put on a mental show and it was definintly in my top 3 favourite gigs last year.

Audiences at, big gigs especially in Aberdeen where every moron and his wife seems to show up for the spectacle of a big band complete with camera phone, no respect for the people around them and a pissed up, lets jump around and use the shoulders of strangers as a platform for us to jump around so much that we cant possibly be paying any attention to the band attitude.

The exact same reason I never go to "big gigs".

I'm not leaping to nme's defence, but what exactly do you mean?

The whole attitude of a lot of ignorant indie fans who listen to bands such as Arctic Monkeys, The View, Oasis, Stone Roses etc that think it's ok to act like dicks and put it off as "rock and roll". NME do their fair share in encouraging this, is basically what I meant.

The person that designed the bloc party flyers for the after party at retro rooms first of all tried to blame the printers then claimed it was his spell checker automatically changing it. Not sure photo shop has a spell checker......, then got his poor pr team to cover the mistake (on 10000 flyers) rather than pay for a re-print

Missed the gig but the set in retro rooms was poor; the band was hammered, didn't bother to mix and just played whatever they had to hand, how many djs turn up for a set with 10cds?

Lets just hope people don't hold it against the club......

The person that designed the bloc party flyers for the after party at retro rooms first of all tried to blame the printers then claimed it was his spell checker automatically changing it. Not sure photo shop has a spell checker......, then got his poor pr team to cover the mistake (on 10000 flyers) rather than pay for a re-print

Missed the gig but the set in retro rooms was poor; the band was hammered, didn't bother to mix and just played whatever they had to hand, how many djs turn up for a set with 10cds?

Lets just hope people don't hold it against the club......

i heard they got paid 3 grand for djing as well. nice to know they worked hard for it.

The Music Hall is a shite live music venue full stop. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and the sound is always terrible.

It is a disgrace that someone would throw a coin at the band. Absolutely shocking.

However, a Bloc Party gig always depends on the mood of Kele Okereke. He didn't look like he was up for it before the incident and certainly wasn't afterwards!

I was annoyed at the set they played tho. They never played the next single "I still remember" or "Little Thoughts". They did waste about 4 mins on that new song where the bass player plays drums too. That was awful.

More effort required.

The Music Hall is a shite live music venue full stop. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and the sound is always terrible.

I don't know if that's entirely fair. I agree that Bloc Party didn't have a good sound, and quie often bands sound is kinda 'muddy' but you have to remember that's not what the Music Hall was built for.

If you've ever seen an orchestra or a choir in there with little or no amplification, the sound can be great. Proved at the Guillemots gig when Fyfe did the acoustic encore in the balcony. I thought he was crystal clear and his singing carried really well across the hall.

Yeah it can be a bit shite for bands, but you can't say that about all live music. It's a Concert Hall that was bult in the 1800s, I don't think they catered for amps.

p.s. agree that the coin throwing thing spoiled the whole show.

Music Hall still has a place for certain gigs in my opinion. Bit disappointed that I missed Bloc Party again but I'm sure I'll catch them somewhere, sometime. Being in Newcastle seeing Regina Spektor in a wee student union on her birthday made up for it somewhat ;)

It'll be interesting to see if Bloc Party venture up here again. I hardly think that anyone could view a sellout crowd against one coin as being an entire town hating their band...

From drowned in sound today:

"Somebody threw a coin and it kind of threw Kele's concentration more than anything else' date=' because he was in the middle of a song," Moakes said of the band's recent gig at the silver city's Music Hall.

"When we got through to the end of it, I said, 'Do you want to go off stage?' So we came off, and I think we were all a bit shaken by the whole thing."

[/quote']

Drowned in Sound - News - Bloc Parties: band queues up Summer festivals

bloc party storm off

i was backstage drinking with the band after the gig and they were seriously hacked off ,

apart from the throwing of the coin , there was an incident with a girl throwing her shoes onstage , and the night before kele had a pint thrown over him in glasgow.

so it`s understandable that they might not have been on top form.

hen @ the tunnels

i was backstage drinking with the band after the gig and they were seriously hacked off ,

apart from the throwing of the coin , there was an incident with a girl throwing her shoes onstage , and the night before kele had a pint thrown over him in glasgow.

so it`s understandable that they might not have been on top form.

hen @ the tunnels

ooof...that must suck for them like! well if you will be a rockstar :rolleyes:

If they were Aberdonians they would have been happy at someone throwing money at them. Obviously didn't adapt to our local customs.

Intentional or otherwise, they get in the headlines.

I really don't like big gigs (especially SECC) due to the shere number of idiots who think they are 'rock n' roll' by doing very irratiting things, as mentioned in this thread.

Guest DustyDeviada

Personally I think Bloc Party are crap, but I am dismayed by this incident.

Like others, I just can't understand why you would pay a lot of money to go and see a band you like and then throw stuff at them.

Same thing happened at Morrissey last year, what a bunch of arseholes there are around.

I hate AECC gigs, they're always full of idiots. Somehow, neds manage to turn up in hundreds there and ruin it for everyone else. Like at the Franz gig, that was horrific, despite my love for Franz Ferdinand.

The Killers was alright, it would have been better if people hadn't used violence to get to the front to see Brandon because "He's so hot!!!!" Ugh...

I tend to have quite a good time at the Music Hall, but you do get some wankers there too...