aberdeen-music

Acoustic Travel Guitars

Old Gold

I've been thinking about buying something a bit more travel-friendly than my Dreadnought for a wander to Europe later this year. Electronics aren't essential... I'd prefer straight acoustic really.

Baby Taylor seems pretty decent (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/baby/9130).

I also notice Fender have one... anybody got any advice to share?

I use Welsh travel guitars made by Shapelywood.....they're very small and easily portable, but not terribly robust. They've an in-built contact mike and electronic tuner, and sound very good when amplified, but, as the body is so thin, they've no bottom end played acoustically.

I've had mine to the USA a few times...it survived those trips fine, but suffered damage when I got on a N0.1 bus and gripped it between my legs while I was raking for change. I forgot I had various effects pedals in the case, and a plug cracked the guitar table :(

It still goes, though!:up:

I use Welsh travel guitars made by Shapelywood.....they're very small and easily portable, but not terribly robust. They've an in-built contact mike and electronic tuner, and sound very good when amplified, but, as the body is so thin, they've no bottom end played acoustically.

I've had mine to the USA a few times...it survived those trips fine, but suffered damage when I got on a N0.1 bus and gripped it between my legs while I was raking for change. I forgot I had various effects pedals in the case, and a plug cracked the guitar table :(

It still goes, though!:up:

The Shapelywood I've heard you use does indeed sound great plugged in, but the lack of bottom end would be a hassle. I suppose that's always going to be a problem when buying a compact acoustic.

Did you manage to take your guitar on the aeroplane as carry-on? I loaned an electric hardcase to a friend for a trip to Austria and it was beaten up pretty badly. 'Course, I've only got his word that it was the airline's fault! All the same, I wouldn't fancy a travel acoustic's chances.

Yes...I always got it into the cabin no problem, and, as I travel very light I had it packed with t-shirts and underwear. (I always wear my oldest clothes to go in, then discard them and buy cheap new stuff for the trip back....a tramp in Union Square, NYC once refused my harris tweed jacket! (Bought, as new, from a charity shop in Aberdeen a week or so before).

I don't know if I could take it on board now, since they changed the size rules. I've contemplated getting one of those collapsible electric guitars for future use, if I can't get the Shapelywood onto the plane.

I won one of the blue moon travel guitars in a competition a couple of years ago

The Hobgoblin Acoustic Guitar Front Page

It's ok - the teardrop shape makes it a bit strange to play sitting down initially, but it's got a decent enough sound, and has survived quite a few trips to festivals and scout camps - comes with a gigbag with shoulder straps, but there's not much padding in it.

Regards

Flossie