aberdeen-music

Paul Epworth/Phones

Wax

He's worked with and/or remixed many successful British indie bands, including Bloc Party, The Futureheads, Babyshambles, Goldfrapp, White Rose Movement, Roxy Music, Simian Mobile Disco, The Rakes, The Music, The Kills, Death From Above 1979, Maximo Park and The Streets. His debut single under the Phones moniker, "Sharpen The Knives" was released on French label Kitsun in November 2006.

'I always wanted to make exciting music. The stuff that made the hairs on your neck stand on end. that magic factor that could be about a song, a sound, a voice, a rhythm, or just silence.........space...... I've written songs since I was 13, played with a cassette deck and sampling keyboard from the age of 11, and began recording with a band at 17. I realised that the studio was the pinnacle of musical creativity, the place where the imagined becomes material. I set about learning the laws, understanding the principles, and disregarding most of them in favour of instinct. In my journey into sound, I have dub mixed on a 4-track, recorded orchestras for (sir) george martin, been pelted with full cans of beer for my love of low frequencies, worked without sleep for three days flat, met some heroes (and villains) and performed with some truly exceptional musicians. I hope the music I am lucky enough to be involved in making, conveys to the listener some of the magic experienced in creating it.'

Dirty Hearts Club @ Snafu

March 22nd