aberdeen-music

"Comedians" that aren't funny

Shaki

About Bill Hicks....

That segment from Relentles sor whatever, he goes on about "which fucking band weants to kill their audience"

Well which fucking comedian wants to call their audience stupid cunts and constantly look at them like they have an IQ of 20 saying "did you get that, did you hear me right? COs i'm a fucking genius"

I still, no matter what, will think he was a holier than thou preaching fuck.

that's the thing. it's not about being a watered down version of anything. if you like one mans point, but prefer anothers delivery, that's perfectly acceptable. hicks goes on about not believing things just because they're on TV and so i'm sure he of all people would appreciate me exercising my choice to like one comedian over another, regardless of the similarity of their work.

and as far as individual performances go, eddie murphy delerious is hard to beat!

/x

About Bill Hicks....

That segment from Relentles sor whatever, he goes on about "which fucking band weants to kill their audience"

Well which fucking comedian wants to call their audience stupid cunts and constantly look at them like they have an IQ of 20 saying "did you get that, did you hear me right? COs i'm a fucking genius"

I still, no matter what, will think he was a holier than thou preaching fuck.

I agree, Dave.

There a whole "Emperors new clothes" thing with Bill Hicks.

Instant student cred in one handy VHS video.

"Oh, but it's so funny - you just don't get it" Aye, I do. I just don't see the humour in one guy brutalising everything in sight including his audience.

The fact that someone has said "you had to be there at the time" pretty much sums it up for me. To me that's indicative of the fact that the material is either

a) Dated

or

b) You have to be in the "Bill Hicks Appreciation Society" to enjoy it, as it's oh so funny but can only be appreciated by a select few who were "in on the gag" "back in the day."

Saying you like Bill Hicks when meeting a stranger is a safe bet - they'll think you're cool and enjoy "edgy comedy." You'll have instant cred amongst others who enjoy the delights of this "alternative comedian" who never made it to the big stage. Again, never made it big, therefore popular with students and uber cool folk - "You mean you've never heard of Bill Hicks?"

Well I like Denis Leary who is the uncoolest, most hated guy in comedy who "sold out." I feel like part of an exclusive club. Christ, I almost feel like a Bill Hicks fan.

• Upvote 1

Well I like Denis Leary who is the uncoolest, most hated guy in comedy who "sold out." I feel like part of an exclusive club. Christ, I almost feel like a Bill Hicks fan.

He's disliked more because he's a thief and made it big on the back of someone else's material.

Personally, aside from having a quote in my signature, I try not to be one of those cringe inducing Hicks fans who think he's the ultimate retort in any web debate or harp on about him all the time. I didn't catch him when he was alive but was introduced to him by someone a few years ago and thought he was hilarious. So I buy the DVDs and the CDs and continue to laugh at the jokes and wonder what his act would be like now had he survived.

Which brings me onto the dated thing. Large parts of Hick's routine was centred around the christian right, George Bush and war in Iraq. Sounds more relevent now than ever.

Comedy is a very subjective thing, just like music really. But there's one thing it seems we all agree on - Gina Yashere is shit.

• Upvote 1

Personally, aside from having a quote in my signature, I try not to be one of those cringe inducing Hicks fans who think he's the ultimate retort in any web debate or harp on about him all the time. I didn't catch him when he was alive but was introduced to him by someone a few years ago and thought he was hilarious. So I buy the DVDs and the CDs and continue to laugh at the jokes and wonder what his act would be like now had he survived

Word to that. There are too many of the aforementioned for my liking.

Which brings me onto the dated thing. Large parts of Hick's routine was centred around the christian right, George Bush and war in Iraq. Sounds more relevent now than ever.

Nah, that just shows Religion is always a "hot topic" (and rules the world, but that's a different story) and the President's son is hell bent on emulating what his father did in the early 90's!

Comedy is a very subjective thing, just like music really. But there's one thing it seems we all agree on - Gina Yashere is shit.

Agreed and agreed.

Guest DustyDeviada
b) You have to be in the "Bill Hicks Appreciation Society" to enjoy it, as it's oh so funny but can only be appreciated by a select few who were "in on the gag" "back in the day."

Well, I'm not going to stop liking him just because a few wankstains (probably students) have jumped on the bandwagon since he died.

Haven't seen any of his stuff for a while actually, what DVDs are available?

The other thing is, its no longer hip or cool to be a Hicks fan. Cos everyone and their granny is now. Its like the emo of comedy.

I dont even think its that edgy. Maybe it was at the time, but I don't care about "back then" cos I'm living here and now.

There is a better social critic, and much more political comedia/talker, but I can't remember his fucking name. He is on Leftover Crack albums though.

Guest DustyDeviada

Can't say it's ever bothered me about being hip or cool, that's why I'm a Dire Straits fan.

Although I will say that it was better when I was at school and nobody had heard of Bill Hicks, it meant I could steal all his jokes.

I'd agree with Ross Noble, have seen him at the music hall twice now and he is extremely funny (and the dvds are great)

Dave Gorman's good too, see if you can get his googlewhack dvd (i had it and lent it to someone at work who then retired without returning it :down: )

As for TV, Arrested Development is really funny and worth watching

• Upvote 1

In terms of the supposed lack of female comedians of quality, that is probably due to the fact that the incredible Linda Smith died not long ago.

She was ace.

Yeah she was really good, a lot of good comedians have come from the radio4 stable. There's actually better more regular comedy on radio4 than there is on tv.

The fact that people like simon amstel, russel brand, russel howard etc appeal to *anyone* is just a sad symptom of the base level of intellect of the younger generations. It doesn't surprise me that noel fielding and russel brand get along, they both seem to have similar lowbrow ideas of what comedy is.

Haha, excellent. Had never heard of him, good shout. There's not much of his stuff avaiable but a CD called "Mitch All Together". Worth a purchase?
Mitch All Together indeed is a worth a purchase. His first CD< STrategic Grill Locations, is also good, but not quite as good.

For your viewing pleasure....

GorillaMask.net: Mitch Hedberg on Conan

GorillaMask.net: Mitch Hedberg on Conan

Guest bluesxman

I like Bill Hicks because I think his material is funny, never realised enough people still knew about him who weren't actually aware of him in the first place for him to carry any 'cool' quotia. I also like Denis Leary, besides the duplication of Hicks material, he had some very funny stuff of his own in there and Demolition Man is not the only film he ever appeared in, probably one of the worst though.

I think Bewilderness is the funniest Bill Bailey DVD, if you by the DVD of his earlier stand up show (forget the name offhand) an extended cut of Bewilderness is on there too, save some cash :up:

There's a guy called Russell Howard (I think) on Mock The Week who's pretty shit. The kind of guy who would be the funny one in a group of friends but looks completely outclassed next to Frankie Boyle, Ed Byrne, Dara O'Brien and Hugh Dennis.

I thought that too actually. And that Andy Parsons guy is on and off.

This may have been mentioned, but I can't be arses searching through the thread, but Ben Elton is not funny.