aberdeen-music

The Police Reforming...

delboy

so sting and his old chums stewart copeland and andy summers are parading their flabby arses around the globe on a lucrative world tour. thoughts and opinions????

good band in their day but about as relevant as genesis reforming (i.e. not very!)- still keeps these old tossers off the streets and out the pub i suppose!:up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Funny how Sting only agreed to this after his solo career went down the toilet, similar to McCartney agreeing to the Beatles anthology reunion after the solo hits dried up.

Can't see the point in going to a Police gig, just go to see Sting solo, he'll play all the Police hits AND Englishman in New York, this reunion will just mean you have to listen to obscure Police album tracks.

so sting and his old chums stewart copeland and andy summers are parading their flabby arses around the globe on a lucrative world tour. thoughts and opinions????

Opinion? - of of the better chart acts and some decent songs, but after watching them on TOTP2 the other night (Walking On The Moon), I suddenly remembered just how much Stewart Copeland's constant prancing about like a nancy-boy used to fucking piss me right off!!!

Guest DustyDeviada

OK, I may have to revise my opinion, saw them on The Grammys last night and they were good.

Always thought Stewart Copeland was a great drummer, and you have to appreciate Andy Summers' "less is more" approach. Looks pretty amazing for 64 IMO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2012420,00.html

Should Sting get 70m for the Police reunion?

Andrew Mueller

Wednesday February 14, 2007

The Guardian

70m richer ... Sting. Photograph: Eamonn McCabe

The imminent comeback shows by the Police, 23 years after their rancorous split, will be one of the most profitable tours of this year or any year. Reports suggest that singer and bass player Sting could end up 70m richer.

Whatever pleasures may be derived from this tour, the satisfaction of rescuing a once great artist from penury will not be among them. Sting's bafflingly successful solo career - the most recent manifestation of which was a satire-defying album of medieval ballads played on the lute - has garnered him a fortune estimated at 200m. The question, then, is what the punter gets for making an absurdly rich man even richer.

The Police were a success story so incongruous as to be almost appealing. They were hopelessly out of place in the late-70s London punk scene they sought to infiltrate - a Geordie schoolteacher (Sting), the son of a CIA agent (Stewart Copeland, drums) and a veteran session hack (Andy Summers, guitar) who was, by the standards of the time, ancient at 35. They sounded engagingly odd, fusing skinny-tied new wave with reggae-influenced rhythms. They made several irresistible singles, including Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Message in a Bottle. Regrettably, the Police's budding charm was crushed beneath the epic pomposity of the band's leader, best epitomised by the gauche Nabokov name-drop in Don't Stand So Close to Me.

The short answer: no. Sting doesn't deserve 70m for swanning around the planet in luxury, being applauded by vast crowds for deigning to play some mildly amusing tunes he wrote three decades ago. However, some who recall his teeth-grindingly pretentious interviews over the years, or are still trying to dash the lyrics for The Russians out of their memories, might pay him far more to go away and keep quiet.

OK, I may have to revise my opinion, saw them on The Grammys last night and they were good.

Always thought Stewart Copeland was a great drummer, and you have to appreciate Andy Summers' "less is more" approach. Looks pretty amazing for 64 IMO.

I was quite surprised at how good they sounded, for anyone interested:

YouTube - The Police - Roxanne, Live @ 07 Grammys

Cheers

Stuart

I really like the Police, but I think it's a bit sad that they're joining the current lets-reform-our-ancient-band gang. The fact that they're all incredibley wealthy does give the impression that they're just doing it for their own nostalgic enjoyment though. Flexing their killer guns.

Really hope they don't attempt any new material though. A blast from the past is one thing, but trying to write songs that are easy for the public to relate to when you're a 60+ millionaire is going to end in proper shite.

Guest bluesxman

The Police had a few OK songs early on, they got pretty crap though. Sting's solo output is horrible, can't think of one of his solo songs offhand that doesn't make me want to cry.

i absolutely love the police. i can understand the objections as they are getting old but i've no doubt that they can still cut it in terms of playing their songs so i'd go an see them. terrific songs and i love sting's technique on bass.

/x

I'm with you on this one, albeit from a 'Copeland perspective'. Great to see him playing again. He was an early part of my 'how the fuck does he do that, I'd better practice' education.

There are so many points I could quote from this thread that I agree with, both pros and cons, but it would take too long to do, and I'm on my lunch break so no time.

Bottom line for me is that they were good early on, but went down hill, IMO, with later stuff. I remember boppin' to Roxanne years ago, but never understand where they fitted in, were they punk...nah! were they reggae...nah! What were they?

I liked them then, but doubt I would go to see them now. I would raher see The Men they Couldn't Hang reform:up:

There are so many points I could quote from this thread that I agree with, both pros and cons, but it would take too long to do, and I'm on my lunch break so no time.

Bottom line for me is that they were good early on, but went down hill, IMO, with later stuff. I remember boppin' to Roxanne years ago, but never understand where they fitted in, were they punk...nah! were they reggae...nah! What were they?

I liked them then, but doubt I would go to see them now. I would raher see The Men they Couldn't Hang reform:up:

the men they couldn't hang have probably reformed & split up 5times since the police

hung up their money printing press............

roxanne has special memories for me, having used it for the epic drinking game as a major part of the quiz i used to host!!

i watched that video when i go home and stings bass sound absolutely outstanding! considering it's over fifty years old, it's packing some serious heat! the only disappointing bit was that his vocals went low instead of hign at the start of the choruses, which gave the somg its punch, but apart from that, they were fucking ace!!

/x