aberdeen-music

Walter Smith likes a bit of Maiden?!

Shaki

Maiden Flight

RANGERS are getting some special help on their way to Israel from rock legend Bruce Dickinson.

The lead singer of heavy metal superstars Iron Maiden is flying the official team charter from Glasgow to Tel Aviv!

Bruce Dickinson, Iron MaidenDickinson is a fully qualified pilot and regularly flies aircraft for charter firm Astraeus, the company who are flying Rangers to Tel Aviv on a 757.

He specifically ASKED to fly the Ibrox men to the Israeli capital when he learned that Astraeus had landed the contract.

Dickinson, who has sold millions of records worldwide with Iron Maiden, paid to learn to become a pilot and has passed all of his commercial pilot's licences exams.

Rangers manager Walter Smith is a keen hard rock fan and was introduced to Iron Maiden by former Gers skipper Terry Butcher, who is a massive fan., when he joined the club back in 1986.

Smith said: "I know their stuff quite well! I remember going to meet the band when they played in Edinburgh a few years ago.

"I would never have thought that Bruce would be flying our plane."

Maiden have been metal heavyweights for over two decades spawning hits like Run to the Hills, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and The Number of the Beast.

Dickinson has a longstanding second-career as a pilot & also flew the Maiden fan club's charter out to some Scandinavian gigs recently & has lent his name to the campaign to get the last near-airworthy Vulcan Bomber back in the air again. His liking for football is pretty well known too. Seems a sensible publicity stunt. :)

BBC Radio Scotland were also reporting this a few mins ago.